D90 shots always underexposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1kid

Sep 22, 2008
hi i currently owe a D90 but however whenever i shoot using Aperture mode my shoots seems to be underexposed in outdoor and indoor. so should i always on my exposure meter to +0.7 when shooting or is there anyway i can actually shoot normally by just configure the my settings?

hi i currently owe a D90 but however whenever i shoot using Aperture mode my shoots seems to be underexposed in outdoor and indoor. so should i always on my exposure meter to +0.7 when shooting or is there anyway i can actually shoot normally by just configure the my settings?

What was your settings, besides using Aperture Priority? Your shutter speed, aperture and ISO?

Try to post a sample pic. Also tell us what lens you are using.

What type of metering are you using?

Unless I'm mistaken, Nikon calibrates their meters to 12% grey instead of 18% which most other manufacturers use. Why? Look it up. ;)

Just use +0.7 as a base-line.

have u tried shooting in manual? then try to balance the light meter. try to overexpose a bit, if your image still underexposed then NSC is the solution.;)

i am using nikon 35mm 1.8D. just bought 1 week ago... i haven use it to shoot manual before. although i feel quite funny when u use prime lens then shoot in manual... i usually try to put it in 2aperature. then even though it was quite a bright afternoon outdoor i try to shoot a dog in the end it was really underexposed... the shutter speed i think was 1/300

your camera has a built in light meter, that is for measuring the light level of the scene, you can use the meter reading to decide how you want the exposure to be.

please read your camera user manual for further reference of how to use your camera.

Yah, but try to shoot in manual mode and use the light meter. If the light meter is balanced in the center, and you still having underexpose picture. Then better go the service center and show them ur camera and lens. Im using d90 too, and i don't have any problem with exposure.

Nikon Service Center got good quality service, ive been there before, dont hesitate to bring your camera, they will even explain to you whats the problem.:thumbsup:

Let's throw some the possible causes.

- In AP you set the f-stop consistently too high like > f16.

- You set the metering to spot metering and have been taking light colored objects.

- You have set the flash compensation to -2 and flash shots are dark.

- You have fixed your iso too low.

- The scene mode you use is affecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.