D90 Settings

absolutecraze

Jun 11, 2009
Anyone knows how i can set my D90 to take photos with the glossy sharp output as the pictures shown in the thread below taken by the D5000. Thanks

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529700&highlight=marina+barrage

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697366&highlight=marina+barrage

DSC_0537.jpg

:):):):)

Anyone knows how i can set my D90 to take photos with the glossy sharp output as the pictures shown in the thread below taken by the D5000. Thanks

DSC_0537.jpg

Bernard Tan already show you the setting he use to take the shot ;)
Shutter Speed = 15Sec
Aperture = F10
What he did not say is the ISO .. but judging from the photo ... and the timing I would guess it to be from ISO100(which is the standard most ppl use) to ISO 400 (which is what I sometime will use)

Hope this helps

Cheers

You'll also need a tripod.

This is not dependent on the camera body, this is basic skill. Furthermore, he even posted the settings for you. How much more do you need???

Have you taken a similar shot like this before? If not, why don't you go shoot & see if you can obtain the same results & then post your photo here.
One can tell you the settings but if you shoot it at different timing, you'll get different results. Shooting is not just settings dependant only.

hahaha give this guy a break.... afterall he posted the thread in newbie...

let me summarise for u

1.) get a tripod
2.) go to marina barage
3.) set ur camera to manual mode and set it to settings as shown in the pic
4.) mount it on a tripod
5.) shoot
6.) upload and ask for comments in Clubsnap

Besides a SOLID grasp of the basics of night photography, chances are, some kind of post work is required to get the best results.

However, assuming technique is fine and a firm stable tripod and capable head is used*, you could try adjusting your camera's on-board processing to increase the sharpness and contrast, but generally, it's better to do post work on a computer.

* My noob definition of stable for any night photography set-up:

After you set it all up, WACK the top end of the tripod with your hand - HARD!

If it shifts, it's not stable.

If it rocks, sways, moves and vibrates for more than say ... 1/10 of a second, it's not stable. This one look through VF when wacking can tell.

If everything falls, well ... read my disclaimer. :bsmilie:

Disclaimer: Do anything and everything in this post entirely at your own risk.

Besides a SOLID grasp of the basics of night photography, chances are, some kind of post work is required to get the best results.

However, assuming technique is fine and a firm stable tripod and capable head is used*, you could try adjusting your camera's on-board processing to increase the sharpness and contrast, but generally, it's better to do post work on a computer.

* My noob definition of stable for any night photography set-up:

After you set it all up, WACK the top end of the tripod with your hand - HARD!

If it shifts, it's not stable.

If it rocks, sways, moves and vibrates for more than say ... 1/10 of a second, it's not stable. This one look through VF when wacking can tell.

If everything falls, well ... read my disclaimer. :bsmilie:

Disclaimer: Do anything and everything in this post entirely at your own risk.
wah, you so terror to your equipment? :)
Got video to show how you whack the tripod? I can't visualize, especially if the camera is mounted on top!

hahaha give this guy a break.... afterall he posted the thread in newbie...

let me summarise for u

1.) get a tripod
2.) go to marina barage
3.) set ur camera to manual mode and set it to settings as shown in the pic
4.) mount it on a tripod
5.) shoot
6.) upload and ask for comments in Clubsnap

I don't believe in #3.... that's like reverse engineering.
especially since you didn't say "go to marina barrage AT NIGHT" :bsmilie:

but anyway TS just wants to know why the images not sharp. Can give it a try lor.

any shake and it will show up on long exposures.

A solid tripod on solid ground recommended.

As shipped, move the front Focus Mode Selector to AF and, if there's a switch on your lens, be sure it's set to A .
At default, the D90 is much smarter than Nikon's more expensive cameras, which default to fairly dumb settings.
The D90 will automatically locate your subject, automatically select which AF sensors to use, automatically figure out if the subject is moving or still, and get perfect focus. Whew!
The only reason to tweak these settings is if you want to do something special, like tell the D90 exactly where to focus.

this is a night shot...there's really nothing fast here to dynamic AF, at any moment, the only posible moving thing I can spot here is only the flyer..but at any particular moment, the AF will take the flyer as stationary... focus+lock straight away...

to get the "glossy" quality...TS should use low iso, tripod, high F number, choose something he deems as his front object and focus....
if he is able to get a good pic using default setting(not even night mode) without any setting...then I wud think he is lucky...:dunno: