D90 Package - A Scam?

alvin81

Dec 21, 2009
Hi everyone. I came across a classified advert in another forum with someone selling the following package selling at SGD$1200:

1. Nikon D90 body (standard box)
2. 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
3. SB-800
4. Camera bag
5. 1 x 8GB SD Card
6. 2 year international warranty (includes 1 year return policy)

This was the ad that I am referring to:
http://adhouse.sg/9297/offer/camera-camcorders/nikon-d90-with-18-200mm-nikkor-vr-lens

Could this offer be true? Seller's location is in Malaysia and requires the buyer to put in 50% deposit. Seller will arrange delivery timing for the next working day. As the offer sounds too good to be true, can anyone advise?

Hi everyone. I came across a classified advert in another forum with someone selling the following package selling at SGD$1200:

1. Nikon D90 body (standard box)
2. 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
3. SB-800
4. Camera bag
5. 1 x 8GB SD Card
6. 2 year international warranty (includes 1 year return policy)

This was the ad that I am referring to:
http://adhouse.sg/9297/offer/camera-camcorders/nikon-d90-with-18-200mm-nikkor-vr-lens

Could this offer be true? Seller's location is in Malaysia and requires the buyer to put in 50% deposit. Seller will arrange delivery timing for the next working day. As the offer sounds too good to be true, can anyone advise?

Definitely - the 50% deposit says it all.

wild thinking, they can just advert to sell a D3S Trinity Set+Sb900 at 6K. 50% is already 3K earned. easy money.:bsmilie:

If really located at M'sia, I see not much hassle for COD. If seller decline, then it's confirmed.

In my heart the offer it really attractive. But logically speaking, the lens alone costs around $1000++ brand new. Seller claims that the 50% deposit is for delivery charges. I would also prefer COD or even self-pickup. Now I must advise my friend not to go ahead with the deal.

Anything that requires you to put down a deposit first, without you being able to inspect the product, and is priced so ridiculously low is almost always a scam.

Doesn't even matter if the guy is in Ang Mo Kio or in Nigeria...

When it is too good to be true, it probably is :)

Anyway, can try contacting the seller to see if can COD and see what is the response :)

Cheers !!

if its too good to be true it probably is. the deposit thing smells to high heaven

When it is too good to be true, it probably is :)

Anyway, can try contacting the seller to see if can COD and see what is the response :)

Cheers !!

Thanks everyone! Seller insist on 50% deposit as delivery fee. It also doesn't make sense to pay $500 for delivery from Malaysia to Singapore.

I will get my friend to buy it from a reputable shop.

tell him u pay even more @ $1500 lor ...... and collect by hand

when it is too good to be true .. it most probably is

Sent the money and your camera sayonara.

Nikon Rumors says D90 end of line... replacement coming. So may be worthwhile to wait.

Even if the price is so attractive..

Do you want to put down 50% WITHOUT even seeing or touching the camera?

So of course this is a scam. Give money, cam never come. The attractive price makes you read this scam.

My advice: Bluff the scammer you want to pay higher, the scammer sure very happy to see this and will do whatever he can to persuade you to give him that 50% :devil:

more info on the scam?