D90 or D5100??

ctm1968

Sep 1, 2008
I am comparing between D90 and D5100
Which one should I go for?

posting here to ask for some view and looking some pros and cons about this 2 model.

Thanks!!

D90. Controls are much better, grip is more substantial (fits your hand better) provided you don't have hands the size of a primary school kid. The D5100 offers better image quality, but its advantages end there.

Image quality should not be the only thing you look for in a camera, I believe using a camera is an entire experience...how it feels in your hands, how fast you can change the settings you need etc are very important, in fact more important, than image quality alone.

Last edited:
d5100 advantage not only lies with image quality.

It is
lighter and smaller
flip screen
cheaper (new to new)
probably much better liveview implementation, i think d90 LV implementation is really inferior to the newer d7k. LV-focusing definitely much faster than d90 as well
better video

Would you be using AF-D lenses? If so... go for the D90, where it can auto focus with AF-D lenses...

Would you be using AF-D lenses? If so... go for the D90, where it can auto focus with AF-D lenses... :)

d5100 advantage not only lies with image quality.

It is
lighter and smaller
flip screen
cheaper (new to new)
probably much better liveview implementation, i think d90 LV implementation is really inferior to the newer d7k. LV-focusing definitely much faster than d90 as well
better video

If you want light and small, I believe m4/3 is the better system. I don't like a light DSLR body, as it doesn't balance well even with light lenses like a 18-105, and your pinky often gets strained when it falls under the front grip because it just isn't large enough. Flip screen is good in some situations, but the live view focusing is still not there, so if I wanted that I'd go with a Sony DSLT, which focuses much faster in live view.

If you want light and small, I believe m4/3 is the better system. I don't like a light DSLR body, as it doesn't balance well even with light lenses like a 18-105, and your pinky often gets strained when it falls under the front grip because it just isn't large enough. Flip screen is good in some situations, but the live view focusing is still not there, so if I wanted that I'd go with a Sony DSLT, which focuses much faster in live view.

well, the light and small body make it so much better for one to bring it overseas. m4/3 might be smaller, but it doesn't offer things like optical vf.. etc.
anyway these are all advantage that i find, it depends on how u look at it. not everyone use their camera in the same way.

D90 :thumbsup:

D90. You would prefer a better build body to go with your future investment of better Nikkor lenses. With a D5100, your setup will be front heavy. :)

If there is one reason why i take D90. Wider lens choices from nikon and 3rd party.

i will choose d90... and im d90 user too

I vote D7000. :p
Jokes aside, I think you should just try out both. Go with whichever feels nicer in your hand.
Also take into consideration how much you'll need options like ISO and WB to be easily accessible and how much you do movies.

d90 vs d5100 ... i take d90 anytime
d5100 vs d5000 vs d3100 ... i take none
d90 vs d7000 ... i take d7000 (else 2nd hand d90 while waiting for d400)
d7000 vs d300s ... i take d300s
d300s vs d90 ... i take d300s
d5100 vs d90 vs d7000 vs d300s ... I take d300s :devil:

I think d300s is the king of DX in terms of specs, weight, ergonomic body ...

Last edited:
I vote for D90 also. It's much better for you to practice photography techniques!

Thanks for so many good advise!

I was thinking D90 over D5100 but the new sensor and new features in D5100 makes me changing my mind.....
I have a few lens all with AF motor, so taking D5100 is nmot a problem. Second consideration is the price, D90 is now about $1600. I think D5100 will be around $1100

What do you guys meant by last longer?

Waiting for the price for D5100 now.....if it is around $1000 I am pretty sure D5100 is my choice!
D90 still going at $1600 :( but some of the used set looks very attractive (selling price, but worry abt high shutter count etc)

is a waiting game........

What do you guys meant by last longer?

Waiting for the price for D5100 now.....if it is around $1000 I am pretty sure D5100 is my choice!
D90 still going at $1600 :( but some of the used set looks very attractive (selling price, but worry abt high shutter count etc)

is a waiting game........

r u sure d90 is going for 1600? people in the d90 user thread sayin tat it's going for close to 1k SGD with body only. so the kit wouldnt be tat much more?

fyi:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/843846-D90-User-Group-(V)/page9

btw, wad they meant by "last longer" is actually that u will be using it for a longer time than d5100 as a hobby, since d90 is somewhat a gimped-down version of semi-pro bodies like d300s. at least more shortcut buttons than d5100 to access the settings quicker + the ability to use screwdrive lenses.

Last edited: