D90 or 550D

ducky88

Apr 22, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
  1. Nikon D90 18-105mm VR
  2. Canon 550D 18-55mm IS
D90 and 550D pricing are $200 away. which to get.
P.S: i dunno how to create a poll for the 2 choices tat why i did tis. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
You are the one using the camera,not us.As usual,Canon users will say 550D good and Nikon users will say D90 good.

Its your choice...

i personally think that d90 is good. but it came out last yr & i heard new model coming out. As for canon 550d is a new model & if thinking abt reselling tis 2 550d is much a gd price.

You are the one using the camera,not us.As usual,Canon users will say 550D good and Nikon users will say D90 good.

Its your choice...

Yup its your choice, we really cant make the choice for you..Its your money! Put technology aside, the 550D is too small for my hands and D90 have a nice and solid grip..In the end its about how comfortable you are in handling both cameras....

Last edited:
Yup its your choice, we really cant make the choice for you..Its your money! Put technology aside, the 550D is too small for my hands and D90 have a nice and solid grip..In the end its about how comfortable you are in handling both cameras....

ok. thanks for the opinion.

i personally think that d90 is good. but it came out last yr & i heard new model coming out. As for canon 550d is a new model & if thinking abt reselling tis 2 550d is much a gd price.

1)If you think D90 is good then get D90 lah...

2)Buy DSLR for use,not investment and resell after that...

agree, the 550D is small for my hands too.. hence need battery grip

Likewise for me, i was contemplating between the 50D or the D90. Done alot of readings testing.

Ultimately, it was the feel the D90 gave me when i held it in my hands that made me come to a conclusion. Different people different taste. Its a tool for photography, different tool suits different people.

Go down to shops and try it.
If you're still confuse, go down to chinatown and rent both the cameras to do test that you think will help you come with a decision.

Cheers :thumbsup:

i'm a canon user. but felt my friend's D90 and saw the pictures out of that cam. looks and feels better than 550D imo.

i'm a canon user. but felt my friend's D90 and saw the pictures out of that cam. looks and feels better than 550D imo.

That's subjective what...

Through tweaking in-camera settings and a little bit of PP, Canons can produce similar results as Nikon, and vice versa.

As for the "feel", D90 has larger grip, feels better on non-tiny hands.

So many thread on D90 vs 550D. Don't keep starting new thread. Do a search, you will find a few threads on this topic. Getting stale....

1. Nikon D90 18-105mm VR
  2. Canon 550D 18-55mm IS
P.S: i dunno how to create a poll for the 2 choices tat why i did tis. Thanks for your time.

i suggest you get the nikon d3.

price difference a bit more than $200 away only. :thumbsup:

"the grass is always greener on the other side"

"the grass is always greener on the other side, until the person tending the lawn knows how to make his grass greener."

how does a picture "feel" better? ludicrous. i have felt better looking at pictures out of a 400d than pictures out of a nikon d3 before. the reason? composition. nothing to do with camera, it's the person.

Last edited:

it is also important to note that d90 versus 550d is not really a very fair comparison.

550d versus d5k, etc will be a more fair comparison- these are entry level cameras.

a more fair comparison to d90 will be 50d, since these are targeted at the same market thereabouts.

other than the grip/size issue, an entry level camera will also have more options buried within menus, instead of laid out on the camera itself. this might affect ease of use at times, depending on your preference.

new model coming out - so?

if 550d got 600d replacement, does it mean that 550d pictures suddenly become cui? :dunno::dunno:

a camera is just a tool. i don't think artists using old paintbrushes are lousier than artists using brand new models of paintbrushes - do you?

D90 came out last year?? Where did that info come from?? :dunno:

If memory serves me right, and also all the independent sources on the net, D90 arrived in late 2008!

Things that might help you decide :

1. Lens price
Nikon Lens are generally more expensive

2. Your friends are using Nikon/Canon
Can share lens/knowledge among friends

3. Top LCD and button functions
Nikon has Top LCD and more buttons that allows faster setting switch.

1. Nikon D90 18-105mm VR
  2. Canon 550D 18-55mm IS

A. I'll choose d90 over 550d because the 200$ is worth the extra features like top lcd, 2 dials, brighter viewfinder, 11 focus points,customizable settings, commander mode, more shortcut buttons for faster shooting and a whole lot more. These features are important and very handy especially if I advance and upgrade my photography skills. Aside from the extra features, I also prefer the d90's sensor having a better dynamic range because it didn't cram the megapixels in the sensor. And the kit lens has longer reach! Also im not bothered at all if it's an old model or if a d90 replacement comes out.

B. I'll choose 550d over the d90 because of it's superior video specs and it is a new model, even getting some of the 7d technologies. It also got higher resolution in its LCD screen. Im also bothered if I buy an old model, it just feels right if i buy the latest model, resale value is even higher. I dont think 200$ is worth it because I know 550d current features is enough for me. I also like that it's lighter and smaller so it is easier to lug around.

A or B?lol

you were like me 1 month ago..was thinking of the D90 and D5000 and finally got the 550d..I like the 550d because of the huge LCD and also because it is light..easy for me to bring overseas..one of the reason was also because canon bodies are made in japan..