D90 or 500D for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
Ok.. i am selling my 450D and i want to get a SLR with video (got camcorder but want the convenient of some short video clips)

So 500D 18-200mm vs D90 18-108mm is what i trying to compare now

Video: 500D wins but i think D90 is only marginally lower quality???
ISO: something i like as i don't like flash... is D90 a lot better? i seen/read that at ISO 1600/3200 ... D90 wins.

So question to those familiar with both camera.. is D90 high ISO is really that good compared to 500D

(i cannot ask this in canon or nikon forum as sure bias)

I use a D90.

A close friend of mine uses a 500D.

There're some features in his 500D that i wish my D90 had.

There're some features in my D90 he wishes his 500D has.

Does that answer your qns? :)

errr... partial.. hehe..

what are the features, may i know that each does't have and the other hv?

errr... partial.. hehe..

what are the features, may i know that each does't have and the other hv?

hmm...from the top of my head:

-my D90 has commander flash mode to trigger off-camera flashes, the 500D doesn't
-my pal noted that the D90's menu is more comprehensive (or more complicated depending on how you look at it)
-imho, the 500D's slightly smaller, lighter and more compact.
-the 500D can meter on lenses without CPU contacts (with an adaptor of course!) My D90 can't, only professional bodies can.

yea, if those don't matter to you, they both are pretty darn good bodies ;)

actually to make things more complicated.. i lookin at GF1 also.. arghhhhh...

actually to make things more complicated.. i lookin at GF1 also.. arghhhhh...

then you don't have a clear idea of what you want.

sit around and think whether you want to make a hole in your pocket for the sake of sloshing money somewhere; or whether you really want any of these in the first place.

a gf1 is very different from a 500d and a d90.

if in doubt, the best advice anyone will give is DON'T BUY.

unless you win toto, then BBB, but don't BBB too much.

IMO, D90 and 500D are not 'sit on the same level'... D90 being slightly higher spec.
I would choose it this way - got money, D90; on budget - 500D.

Have to decide which is your main criteria - just want video - D90 (since the high ISO of D90 is slightly better, but just 'lost marginally' on video function to 500D) - what makes you said 500D wins on video?

IMO, D90 and 500D are not 'sit on the same level'... D90 being slightly higher spec.
I would choose it this way - got money, D90; on budget - 500D.

Have to decide which is your main criteria - just want video - D90 (since the high ISO of D90 is slightly better, but just 'lost marginally' on video function to 500D) - what makes you said 500D wins on video?

my fren a D90 user and also a video buff.. was telling me about some short of video curtain problem.. basically horizontal lines seen when it goes a bit dim... anyway he mentioned 500D will hv better video, and i trusted his judgement.. but like said, its not terribly bad, probably marginally only.

actually both is similar price as i comparing it with 500D 18-200mm kit II

now I trying to find out at ISO3200, which camera is able to handle noise better and if so, how much better

then you don't have a clear idea of what you want.

sit around and think whether you want to make a hole in your pocket for the sake of sloshing money somewhere; or whether you really want any of these in the first place.

a gf1 is very different from a 500d and a d90.

if in doubt, the best advice anyone will give is DON'T BUY.

unless you win toto, then BBB, but don't BBB too much.

actually i know what i want... GF1 is not a SLR but still a camera and I think many entry level DSLR users ard the world will hv this thought of changing to a GF1 due to size and the performance of it drawing near to a entry SLR-like performance

GF1 is not DSLR wor....

Still a camera what.. hehe... anyway that one is totally for the small form factor and very good video reason only... i know it can't even compete with the most entry SLR

Anyway ... I am 55% towards D90 now due to the read/seen sample of good control if ISO up to 3200 .. trying to dig up more into on 500D if it can handle as well .. then 45% towards 500D becos for almost same price, it comes with 18-200mm lens which is a focal lenght that I always wanted

Last edited:
don't like flash, get d3x/s.

flash is very much a component also...

my fren a D90 user and also a video buff.. was telling me about some short of video curtain problem.. basically horizontal lines seen when it goes a bit dim... anyway he mentioned 500D will hv better video, and i trusted his judgement.. but like said, its not terribly bad, probably marginally only.

actually both is similar price as i comparing it with 500D 18-200mm kit II

now I trying to find out at ISO3200, which camera is able to handle noise better and if so, how much better

actually i know what i want... GF1 is not a SLR but still a camera and I think many entry level DSLR users ard the world will hv this thought of changing to a GF1 due to size and the performance of it drawing near to a entry SLR-like performance

Still a camera what.. hehe... anyway that one is totally for the small form factor and very good video reason only... i know it can't even compete with the most entry SLR

Anyway ... I am 55% towards D90 now due to the read/seen sample of good control if ISO up to 3200 .. trying to dig up more into on 500D if it can handle as well .. then 45% towards 500D becos for almost same price, it comes with 18-200mm lens which is a focal lenght that I always wanted

if you really like the video, 500d's video is better, "less" jelly like effect compared to d90, also faster frame rate (30 fps) but the 24fps of the d90 has a more "natural cinematic feel"..i think the video will be your deciding factor as 450d is a very good camera, not that much of an upgrade in my opinion..you might want to look at d5000 also if you really like high iso performance, look at this iso review by ken rockwell, it even beat d300:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000/high-iso-comparison.htm

d5000 iso performance is "a tiny bit" better than d90 due to it being a newer model, the tilting lcd's also main use in my opinion is for the video as you normally take videos at chest or waist level but take note that d5000 has no built in motor which means limited lens choices plus a whole other features missing compared to d90 like commander mode, fewer shortcut buttons, smaller screen, dedicated dial, no top lcd, etc..but d5000 has features that d90 doesn't have also like quiet mode, interval shooting, 19 additional scene modes.. here's a complete technical side by side of the three:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

so in my opinion, my ranking in order is

500d>d5000>d90 - for video
d5000>d90>500d - high iso performance
d90>d5000tie500d - for overall features

hope that makes things easy for you..

if still can't decide, ergonomics will play the biggest factor, for one 500d is the lightest of them, there has got to be one of them that your hands will feel at home the most..

gimumancer: really thk u for ur reply... i didnt know D5000 is that good..

D5000... i always wated those 920k screen after seeing the D90 one... but i am rather surprised to hear that D5000>D90 in terms of ISO.

Another reason I did not think of D5000 is the lens.. its a 18-55mm .. i wanted something more tele range.. which is why the D500 Kit ii and D90 comes in my list... maybe D5000 has a 18-105mm kit ?

This is hard.. i want it all !! Good high ISO, good video, hi-res LCD .... haiz.. this sounds like a CANON 7D !!! hahaha.. if only i richer..

go try them out at shops, and decide which is the best for you and which fits you best.

we can only do as much as advice, ultimate decision lies with you.

if you say advice, i tell you both cams are helluva great bodies, with either you won't go wrong.

i am also considering these 2 models... i am leaning more towards the d90... mainly becos

- better grip than the 500D (to me)
- top LCD
- 4.5fps vs 3.4fps
- read good reviews for the 18-105 VR lens...

please correct me if i am wrong, considering buying my 1st slr also...

Does the 500D have a in built motor?

i am also considering these 2 models... i am leaning more towards the d90... mainly becos

- better grip than the 500D (to me)
- top LCD
- 4.5fps vs 3.4fps
- read good reviews for the 18-105 VR lens...

please correct me if i am wrong, considering buying my 1st slr also...

Does the 500D have a in built motor?

for canon you don't need to worry coz all lenses have built in motor..

gimumancer: really thk u for ur reply... i didnt know D5000 is that good..

D5000... i always wated those 920k screen after seeing the D90 one... but i am rather surprised to hear that D5000>D90 in terms of ISO.

Another reason I did not think of D5000 is the lens.. its a 18-55mm .. i wanted something more tele range.. which is why the D500 Kit ii and D90 comes in my list... maybe D5000 has a 18-105mm kit ?

This is hard.. i want it all !! Good high ISO, good video, hi-res LCD .... haiz.. this sounds like a CANON 7D !!! hahaha.. if only i richer..

I am just as surprised as you are. D5000 and D90 share the same sensor and image processor. Their ISO performance and image quality are EXACTLY the same. D5000 is an excellent camera. It is basically the same camera as the D90, with watered down features and a couple of new features deemed useful for the beginner/entry-level market. But the internals are the same really.

Video is the same as well, just that D5000 have that flip screen, which may be useful to some. But in my personal opinion, I feel video in Nikon is not very well executed. For video, I think you might be better off with a PnS or a dedicated camcorder.

If you want good video performance and only looking at this price range, I suggest the Panasonic Lumix GH-1, not the GF-1.

Last edited:
d5000 iso performance is "a tiny bit" better than d90 due to it being a newer model,

D90 and D5000 share the same sensor and image processor. How did that translate to the D5000 having better iso performance? If you have read from somewhere that explains or shows this in a controlled test environment, please share.

As for the comparison of D300 vs D5000, posted by KRW, D300's iso performance is actually much better than the D5000 up till 3200. At 6400, it loses some detail due to the NR algorithm. That said, if you take the RAW taken at 6400 iso (or turn off NR) from D300 and D5000, and process NR yourself, they are about at par.

Personally, I seldom go over 1600 iso when I shoot. Only once did I push to 3200. And I never had to do 6400. There you go.

BTW, don't believe everything KRW says. Some of the stuff he says I find are rubbish. But still, he is an entertaining read for laughs. If you want to read good solid reviews, read this one http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Last edited:
i got the 500D few months back...i love the camera...besides features of the camera, i think a good photo need creativity of the photographer too...my advice is to go with your feeling...if you think canon is good buy it and have fun playing with it...

Ok.. i am selling my 450D and i want to get a SLR with video (got camcorder but want the convenient of some short video clips)

So 500D 18-200mm vs D90 18-108mm is what i trying to compare now

Video: 500D wins but i think D90 is only marginally lower quality???
ISO: something i like as i don't like flash... is D90 a lot better? i seen/read that at ISO 1600/3200 ... D90 wins.

So question to those familiar with both camera.. is D90 high ISO is really that good compared to 500D

(i cannot ask this in canon or nikon forum as sure bias)
why not keep your 450d and simply get a superzoom bridge camera?

video slr is still in its infancy. just wait a while if you can.

Last edited:
why not keep your 450d and simply get a superzoom bridge camera?

video slr is still in its infancy. just wait a while if you can.

I want video as i always like to capture thise 10-20 sec clip of my kids .. i use to do that with my PnS and with the Stills + video clips.. its a lot more fun.

I hv a full HD camcorder.. so this video feature in SLR is just something I want to complement my style

I still duuno what to get.. getting 500D has its benefit... D90 also has its benefit.. D5000 will definitely save me a lot of money but no long focal lens as bundle..

Status
Not open for further replies.