D90 Lcd.

chao choo

Oct 30, 2010
Called one reputation shop regarding my small stain on my LCD, according to him, once if the stain can't be remove, possibility my D90 has be infected with fungus, and charge $130 for ''cleaning service'' Any comments on this.

Thank you in advance. :)

chao choo said:
Called one reputation shop regarding my small stain on my LCD, according to him, once if the stain can't be remove, possibility my D90 has be infected with fungus, and charge $130 for ''cleaning service'' Any comments on this.

Thank you in advance. :)

Wow! First time I have heard of fungus growing on LCD.

errr..... small stain on the LCD??

are you referring to when you review photos, some kind of marks show up on same spot of every photos? does the spot enlarged and move when you zoom in and scroll the photo?

or

a mark on LCD which stay still, and it won't enlarge if you zoom in?

anyway, if you load the images into computer and see noting on computer monitor when you examine the images, than don't bother so much about it.

and if there is some darker dots or spots on the same spot of every images, that is sensor dust, can bring to Nikon Service Center to clean it, sensor cleaning won't be that expensive, unless it is not dust but fungus.

hope this help.

Wow! First time I have heard of fungus growing on LCD.

Ya, I'm shocked too, of all the places, my LCD. But seems not fungus to me. After I google-ed some of the photo of fungus LCD. Best thing, this reputation shop guy mentioned
''oh stain in your LCD, then most probably your lens, body all got fungus, but inspection after inspection, nothing like the guy mentioned.

Last edited:
errr..... small stain on the LCD??
are you referring to when you review photos, some kind of marks show up on same spot of every photos? does the spot enlarged and move when you zoom in and scroll the photo?
or
a mark on LCD which stay still, and it won't enlarge if you zoom in?
anyway, if you load the images into computer and see noting on computer monitor when you examine the images, than don't bother so much about it.
and if there is some darker dots or spots on the same spot of every images, that is sensor dust, can bring to Nikon Service Center to clean it, sensor cleaning won't be that expensive, unless it is not dust but fungus.

hope this help.

When I reviewed my photos, the stain can't really see, only when I'm off it, then able to see some small stain under the glass.
The spot doesn't enlarge be it I scroll and zoom in. Just a mark on the LCD which stay still.

Ya, when I took photos and loaded it into the computer, the picture seems 100% perfect. Called in service centre but they closed for weekend, so decided to call the reputation shop, which I obtained from other thread, to see what kind of help he can offer, alas, expensive quoted price.

Ya, I'm shocked too, of all the places, my LCD. But seems not fungus to me. After I google-ed some of the photo of fungus LCD. Best thing, this reputation shop guy mentioned
''oh stain in your LCD, then most probably your lens, body all got fungus, but inspection after inspection, nothing like the guy mentioned.

Yea find it very amazing if really is fungus on LCD. Probably dust or something.

If anything your tests has shown it's probably just dust. I think your best bet is to go down to NSC and see what they can do. If it's just dust and does not affect the image, can probably try to live with it, though I can see how that can be bloody annoying.

Last edited:
Lastly, the internet seems doesn't have much info on LCD fungus but lens fungus, those who experience fungus before, can your lens still working well, some said can, unless it spread to the lens glass, some said better go for ''cleaning''.

Will the fungus grow again to spread at other place of the lens/LCD even stored in the dry cabby?

Really appreciate comments on this, before I make my second move. Otherwise just live it the stain LCD. :D

Yea find it very amazing if really is fungus on LCD. Probably dust or something.

If anything your tests has shown it's probably just dust. I think your best bet is to go down to NSC and see what they can do. If it's just dust and does not affect the image, can probably try to live with it, though I can see how that can be bloody annoying.

Thank you very much. Your comments are appreciated. Yup, I think should be dust, I'll go to NSC this coming week, to see what they can suggest. Any idea how much the cleaning fee at NSC cost?

If the "stain" is just on the surface of the LCD, it can be cleaned.
If really can not be cleaned, a new LCD replacement will cost less than <U$20 in ebay, just look for someone who would be willing to install it for you and it shouldn't cost a lot ;)
If it's not on the LCD, it could be on the transparent cover also known as LCD window and it will cost <U$10 in ebay
If it doesn't affect you photos (it should be), just leave with it :)

Last edited:
I have dust particles inside the LCD. Anyone has any idea how much it costs to be cleaned by Nikon?

Is it possible to take a closed-up shot of the LCD for us to have a look?

It's like tiny little dots inside the LCD and I am not sure how much it will cost to clean those up.

It looks like ingress of dust particles.

I'm not sure which reputable shop you went but the best advice is to go to NSC and they will do a price quote before starting any repairs.

They were asking whether is it sensor dust. If sensor dust cost $25. I was wondering whether sensor dust can be seen from the LCD screen?

I have dust particles inside the LCD. Anyone has any idea how much it costs to be cleaned by Nikon?

It's a minor cleaning job. Any 3rd party repair technician can do the job.
Anyone who knows how to remove flexible cable could also do the job.
- remove the battery
-remove the bottom cover ( 7 screws)
-Slowly remove the back over ( 2 screws on each side and 2 screws near the viewfinder)
- remove the 2 flexible cables
-Now you can remove the whole back cover
- remove the metal plates, flexible cables, LCD
- blow the dust away
:)

I found an online video and managed to remove the LCD for cleaning. As good as new now. Thanks.

The $130 saved can go eat chillie crabs liao! ...lol!

Interesting to know where the does get in from...

not sure.spent 1.5hrs to make sure everything went ok. Don't want later damage the camera cost me more dollars to get it fixed.nose.bleed.