D90 kit or tamron 17-50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangechen26

Apr 8, 2009
Hey, I am a newbie to DSLR, i will be travelling to canada and US in Dec, so considering to buy my first DSLR soon.
For the body, i thk will go for D90. But have a dilemma on the lenses.

one is go with the 18-105 kit lense, and i will buy another 50mm f1.4 lense for indoor/lowlight and portraits.

the other option is tamron 17-50 f2.8+nikkor 55-200 vr. After my travelling back, i will considering to buy a prime lense like 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8.

Is it convenient to buy the D90 body only and the tamron lense in singapore? i saw some posts saying that singapore now import only the kit. If i cant buy the body only, is it better if i buy the kit, sell the kit lense, and buy tamron?

I also noticed that there is a twin lenses kit which include a 18-55 and 55-200 nikkor lenses. Any shop sell this kit? and is it possible to exchange the 18-55 with 17-50 lense?(of course i will pay the extra money...)

which option is better? can give me and pros and cons? thanksssss!!!!!!:)

btw, in singapore, i have quite a lot of time working in the theatre, that's also why i want to get f2.8 lense..

I bought the kit set last month in Alan Photo. They could let me exchange with other lenses and pay the differences. I did not do so, maybe you could give it a try.

I bought the kit set last month in Alan Photo. They could let me exchange with other lenses and pay the differences. I did not do so, maybe you could give it a try.
Hi, Kenken17, how much is the kit lense?

I believe it the D90 kit is now 1660 @ John 3:16.... although I could be wrong...:dunno:

hi i bought the Nikon D90 plus Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 from alan photo 2 weeks ago only.. they took out the kit lens and pay the difference of the tamron..

If u shoot from below stage, then reach may be a problem, of course depending on how closeup you want to shoot. If standing right beneath the stage shd still be fine?

For D90, is it not 30mm as the more recommended portrait lens being a DX camera?

Last edited:
Personally... I'd go with the Tamron 17-50 and add another zoom lens later on...

hi i bought the Nikon D90 plus Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 from alan photo 2 weeks ago only.. they took out the kit lens and pay the difference of the tamron..
Hi, kanchelsk, so how much do u get the D90+tamron?

If u shoot from below stage, then reach may be a problem, of course depending on how closeup you want to shoot. If standing right beneath the stage shd still be fine?

For D90, is it not 30mm as the more recommended portrait lens being a DX camera?
Dun worry where i shoot, i can stand anywhere i want except on the stage with the performers, haha~ for audience photography during performance is prohibited.

I would take the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 over the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens. I really like the Tamron.

D90 body $1369 (8GB, Hoya, Bag)
Tamron 17-50 $628

For travelling, I prefer the 18-105mm + 50mm than a 17-50 + 55-200mm combo. Your millage will differ, best you pick one up and start shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.