D90 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

summrj

May 19, 2008
hey guys.. having some problems here.. aight just got a D90 not too long ago... haven really had the time to read the guides and all so im mainly shootin in the Auto mode for now..

there are times when the green dot (as seen in the viewfinder) is blinking when i press half-shutter and the camera cant take a pic as.. accordin to the manual... the cam cant focus..

is it normal that this seems to happen somewhat often? or issit an inherent problem with my set?

also.. there are times when after snappin... the pictures appears out to be completely black... these are when im shootin in the manual mode.. (if i rem correctly).. k im assumin here tt i messed up the settings hence nth was captured...

aight these are damn noob qn... hence they're in this forum.. haha.. cheers..

Im in a good mode so i wont be so bad.

When you press halfway, you should be able to hear the camera focusing . In low light, the AF assist light will be switched on to help when the camera is focusing. when it gets too dark, sometimes its hard to focus and thus no matter how long u press the half press button, it wont shoot.

when you shoot in manual, you must know the settings . look in the viewfinder you will se |-------+--------| something like that with the bar either more towards left or right. If the bar is in the middle with nothing on left/rght it's supposedly "proper exposure" . You have to play around.

The simplest way to know is to use Auto mode or P mode or Shutter/Av and half press then see the settings on the camera eg : (assuming your auto ISO is off and at iso200) the ideal setting for S mode f5.6 1/125

so using the manual mode, turn the front dial till u see f5.6 then the back dial to 1/125 shutter and shoot. walah, u should get the same pic using M mode and S mode . but not all pics uses the same settings. READ the manual more

another possible reason why you can't focus is because the object is too close... not all lenses can take macro shots.

haha yes yes.. thanks NeTHaCk!!.. busy now but finger itchy la.. get cam alr wanna play.. some more sister's weddin was comin up.. wanted to play play abit..

another possible reason why you can't focus is because the object is too close... not all lenses can take macro shots.
yes this is possible too! i forgot to mention this :)

thank you sifu
haha yes yes.. thanks NeTHaCk!!.. busy now but finger itchy la.. get cam alr wanna play.. some more sister's weddin was comin up.. wanted to play play abit..

good to know you have a great cam. im sure your sis has a paid photographer so as long as you let him do his job im sure everything will be fine. in your case, stick to Pmode the very least . dont take something you;re not confident with. have fun and explore your settings ! I didnt have anyone teaching me except experimenting .. and i had a very expensive lesson :p ( was using film back then so the cost of developing lolz.....)

this forum is great as there's lots of people who are willing to help .. if you're willing to learn and accept critics to improve yourself

yea.. and this forum also has many ppl who dont sleep.. hahaha... kk thx for ur input.. shall read up more n mayb get some D90 guidebook... any recommendations? all seem to be rather pricey..

No need guidebook .. Just need someone who is generous enough to assist you on the job ... and guide you some basic knowledge with a DSLR....

Never stop experimenting with your camera..
Trial and error and you'll learn..
Having a photo buddy is good as well so you can learn from each other.
I have been learning myself with occasional teachings from friends.
Still have much more to learn but I think it's been great. ;)

Have fun experimenting with yours! :)

Im in a good mode so i wont be so bad.

When you press halfway, you should be able to hear the camera focusing . In low light, the AF assist light will be switched on to help when the camera is focusing. when it gets too dark, sometimes its hard to focus and thus no matter how long u press the half press button, it wont shoot.

when you shoot in manual, you must know the settings . look in the viewfinder you will se |-------+--------| something like that with the bar either more towards left or right. If the bar is in the middle with nothing on left/rght it's supposedly "proper exposure" . You have to play around.

The simplest way to know is to use Auto mode or P mode or Shutter/Av and half press then see the settings on the camera eg : (assuming your auto ISO is off and at iso200) the ideal setting for S mode f5.6 1/125

so using the manual mode, turn the front dial till u see f5.6 then the back dial to 1/125 shutter and shoot. walah, u should get the same pic using M mode and S mode . but not all pics uses the same settings. READ the manual more

Thanks man.. Informative for newbies like me.

I just got my D90 on Wednesday and tried it out yesterday at the zoo. My first DSLR experience! So have to keep learning and experimenting.. and I have problems shooting in low light. Worse if the object is moving. Tried to shoot the sea lion during their show and all come out black!

Thanks man.. Informative for newbies like me.

I just got my D90 on Wednesday and tried it out yesterday at the zoo. My first DSLR experience! So have to keep learning and experimenting.. and I have problems shooting in low light. Worse if the object is moving. Tried to shoot the sea lion during their show and all come out black!

Then please have a look at the Photography Notes for Newbies. Learn to understand what the camera is doing. That's quite compulsory to get decent pictures.

there are times when the green dot (as seen in the viewfinder) is blinking when i press half-shutter and the camera cant take a pic as.. accordin to the manual... the cam cant focus..

The focusing system works by recognizing patterns, especially horizontal and vertical lines. If such patterns cannot be recognized (either because they don't exist or because it's too dim) the camera cannot focus. Also, read your manual about selecting focus points and which are the cross-type focus points at your camera. Using the right focus point will help the camera to obtain focus lock.
Read your manual fully, sometimes the information needed is in a different chapter (by whatever reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.