D90 focusing in liveview using face priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right way or is there another.
In a grp photo, like 4-5 people, I'm using liveview, with face priority, and using focus with normal area setting, with the small red box in the mid of the lcd and shoot.

it seems like only the portion focused in the red box turned sharp. any advise?

Stop using dummy modes (face recognition and all the other fancy stuffs) and learn about focusing modes, Depth of Field and all the other details that make photography different from snapping.
I'm not suing Nikon but it seems to me that your cam is focusing only on the red box (single focus point) and the "face mode" causes a very shallow depth of field. That's why only the center face is sharp.

ok i go read guide books again

suspecting the bokeh caused by small aperture ?

suspecting the bokeh caused by small aperture ?

Er. Bokeh???

Dude, read up on the basics of photography.

The out of focus areas would have been caused by a LARGE aperture, not a small one.

Bokeh = the quality of the out of focus blur; how pleasing it is to the eye.

Bokeh IS NOT a generic term for "out of focus".

hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right way or is there another.
In a grp photo, like 4-5 people, I'm using liveview, with face priority, and using focus with normal area setting, with the small red box in the mid of the lcd and shoot.

it seems like only the portion focused in the red box turned sharp. any advise?
switch off all the gimmicks and strengthen basics. Use Aperture Priority, depending on the lens used maybe using F/11~F/22.

books are just books if dont practice. what you can do is maybe get a few toys or figurines and try out group shots experiments.

switch off all the gimmicks and strengthen basics. Use Aperture Priority, depending on the lens used maybe using F/11~F/22.

Or the TS can use PnS.... with a smaller sensor size... there would be more DOF..... ideal for group shots... :)

Or the TS can use PnS.... with a smaller sensor size... there would be more DOF..... ideal for group shots... :)

Yup. Seems like a clear case of someone who should have gotten a PnS instead of a gimmicked-up DSLR.

Use Aperture Priority, depending on the lens used maybe using F/11~F/22. books are just books if dont practice. what you can do is maybe get a few toys or figurines and try out group shots experiments.

F/22 will cause diffraction and blurring to the picture. Diffraction depends on sensor size and aperture.
Books are a must if it comes to complex topics. Otherwise the camera is just a black box: one presses some buttons and something happens - it will take one ages to figure out what really happens in the inside given the huge variety of possible settings and possible light conditions. Figurines are an example, but again the basics kick in: the short distance will make the DOF different from objects at 10m distance as in his picture. For this there are DOF calculators in the web like this: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
But this needs a defined focus point, back to the basics of the camera...

Yup. Seems like a clear case of someone who should have gotten a PnS instead of a gimmicked-up DSLR.

Or a case of successful sales man :bsmilie:

still new and learning

Aiya... no harm lah... after all it help with the Singapore economy... and benefit other when it is sold at BnS section... :)

Joke aside... with some practice... I am sure the TS can master his dslr.. :)

hey guys,

give him a chance yeah? everybody starts somewhere.. =) don't worry, akagi07, just keep shooting.
the more you shoot, the better you get.. try ur hand on anything that you see, just keep practising at it!

try figurine(s).. might help with ur DOF practice, and then try on things tt move

10u 10u,
ya practicing more..

Status
Not open for further replies.