D90, d5000, 450d, 500d

Status
Not open for further replies.

poisonbox

Sep 28, 2009
North/North East
Hey guys.

Getting my first DSLR.

Have a lot of different opinions about Canon or Nikon Cameras.

Some say that Canon has cheaper lens etc.

Which camera will produce the better night shot?

What are the different pros and cons.

Thanks people.. hope to join the shooting scene.

Hey guys.

Getting my first DSLR.

This is the complete side by side comparison. All the information you need is in there.

BTW when I use Google and type in "500D vs D90", this is the first link that showed up.

As for lenses, Canon lower level lenses are cheaper than Nikon. But IMHO, they are also poorer in quality. Canon's good lenses, the 'L' lenses are hella expensive...

Hey guys.

Getting my first DSLR.

the point in bold is very important... ur answer is there, end of the day it's your choice... after factoring ur budget, needs n wants, then can u decide what is the best camera for u...

as for the pros n cons, bro daredevil has provide the link.. n do google more n read up reviews to get a better idea

oh, maybe going down to the shop and handling the cameras and see which one feels better in your hands might help too? (after doing your specs comparisons etc homework).

Hey guys.

Getting my first DSLR.

The camera that's being operated by the photographer who understands how to use it to its maximum potential :angel:

Seriously, you ask this sort of question, you just start a brand war.
As has been said many times before, every DSLR (from entry-level up) is capable of really great shots.
From a 'quality' perspective, there difference is really negligible.
If you want in-body Image Stablization, forget Canon and Nikon, coz they prefer to implement stablization in the lenses. So if you swap from a VR/IS lens to a normal one, you lose the stablization.

Last edited:
I would further like to add that comments such as "canon has cheaper lens" is generalistic and cannot be proven correct to a certainty.

Comparing specs (eg. 200mm f/2.8) is only one factor.
What about build quality, materials/coating of the glass elements? These affect the pricing too.

Since this will be your first cam, work from your budget first... i believe the nikon stated are more expensive than the canon bodies stated.. Then once you have alloted a budget, choose the cams that fit within the range and most importantly go try it out.. Some like the feel n layout of one brand compared to the other..

As for your question of lens, I guess it should not matter much as photography is an expensive hobby. As you venture, you will get to know some of the good lens might fall into the 3rd party brands.

This is the complete side by side comparison. All the information you need is in there.

BTW when I use Google and type in "500D vs D90", this is the first link that showed up.

As for lenses, Canon lower level lenses are cheaper than Nikon. But IMHO, they are also poorer in quality. Canon's good lenses, the 'L' lenses are hella expensive...

The camera that's being operated by the photographer who understands how to use it to its maximum potential :angel:

Seriously, you ask this sort of question, you just start a brand war.
As has been said many times before, every DSLR (from entry-level up) is capable of really great shots.
From a 'quality' perspective, there difference is really negligible.
If you want in-body Image Stablization, forget Canon and Nikon, coz they prefer to implement stablization in the lenses. So if you swap from a VR/IS lens to a normal one, you lose the stablization.

hey guys.. thanks for all the informations that your have provided..

sorry about "starting" a brand war..

after reading the review.. I think i getting myself a d90 soon..

thanks!

ok... enjoy your purchase! Remember to really learn about all the functions of the D90 (believe me, there is a lot to learn!) in order to really maximize its potential.
shoot more and share your shots with us!

last but not least, always make sure you don't overspend on this hobby. It's very easy to get carried away with buying this and that, thinking it will be the miracle solution to great shots.

remember to get a suitable set of lenses too...

Your palm and finger must like the cam. go feel it. the rest, u could practise..

If given a chance, I would like to use other such as Sony, Olympus or Pentax not because Nikon or Canon is not better.

If you compare features to features.. the rest given you a better buy especially the anti-shake built-in the body.

I suggest you look at the rest before committing to Canon or Nikon!

..go for the D90 .. and enjoy it..

You should take a look at Sony's A500(Just launch) and A550(maybe 2 weeks from now), what a good entry level cams that can go up to ISO12800, 5fps(7fps-A550), live view, HDR function...Sony's really catching up with the big ones.:sweat:

In short, don't be blinded by publicity. Know what you need and not what the masses need. What's most impt is that whichever cam you gonna buy, it will last long with you, and not after a few months, your heart starts swaying to other cams!

For me, the worst decision i made was buying a entry-lvl dslr..

Status
Not open for further replies.