D90, continue shoot, max 8 frame

battle

Jun 15, 2010
Hi,

I did some search but can't find any related topic. If already existing, apologize.

I'm using D90, using continue Shoot mode, I tested with a few different speed SD card, but max it will go is only 8 frame (I set to continuous shoot 4.5 fps), then it will start to pause for transfer into the card. Then like shoot at the most like 2 fps, & the yellow light will flash non-stop busy writing.

SD card I've tried.

SanDisk
- 8 GB (Class 4)
- 32 GB Ultra (Class 4, claims to be 15mb/s)

Transcend
- 16 GB (Class 6)

Nikon FOC 8 GB SD card (don't know what speed).

Setting.
- RAW.
- High ISO NR (setting, specs claims that it will reduce noise in high ISO).
- Don't think any other Key setting that will reduce saving speed.

Is this the standard limitation of the camera or does it make senses for me to get SanDisk Extreme (Class 6, claims to be 20 mb/s).

Why I need to shoot so much ?
- When my kids perform on stage, I would wanna capture them walking up, down, some special moves etc.

Thanks for sharing ; )

try changing your setting from RAW to Jpeg.

i haven't try in RAW, but in Jpeg, i can shoot quite a lot without stopping . . . :)

i did panning shots . . . about 10~15 shots each time . . . :)

ai ya... I forget to test Jpg.. will go home try tonight... ; p

Cause I read some photography, they all say if take in RAW, later easier to do post processing. So I just shoot RAW lor. ; p

Thanks, will try try.

ai ya... I forget to test Jpg.. will go home try tonight... ; p

Cause I read some photography, they all say if take in RAW, later easier to do post processing. So I just shoot RAW lor. ; p

Thanks, will try try.

Not easier, but RAW offers you more possibilities with your post processing.
The final processed image may look quite different from the RAW image. With JPG, the camera has already applied processing to the RAW image in-camera. Thus you have less flexibility after that.

a few problem i see here.

1. high noise reduction slows down the process too.
2. card not fast enough to transfer without exceeding the buffer limit.
3. like mention by other members, raw files are significantly bigger than jpeg. thus more time to transfer.

15mb/s is still too slow, i use my 60mb/s sandisk and it only do 8fps for about 3 sec

Not easier, but RAW offers you more possibilities with your post processing.
The final processed image may look quite different from the RAW image. With JPG, the camera has already applied processing to the RAW image in-camera. Thus you have less flexibility after that.

OIC... Thanks.. ; )
I'm still learning post processing. Will read up more ; )

BTW, I've tested again with all my card, same setting, but now replace RAW with JPEG (Fine).
With all the above card, I have no problem shooting almost non-stop. Have tested continuous shoot for 20 frame, it didn't stop.

Guess I will need to switch format as the need arise.