D90 Autofocus Problem, does anyone know?

kureinai

May 21, 2007
Hi all, I've been using nikon for past 3 years, recently I purchase the nikon d90. I realize i have this problem.

1. Live view focusing is much more accurate then view finder focusing.

it's crispy sharp compare to view finder even mounted on tripod and test.
DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

Does anyone have this problem? and how to solved it, If possible I would not want to go down to NSC becuase the last time i went to fix my camera came back got some dust on my view finder and the person told me "we did not do it in the dry room so it's common it got dust on it."
I was like WTF?!

This is a sign your lens is front or back focusing on your camera body. Which lens are you using? If you are using any of the sigma lenses like 30, 50 or 85, you need to send the lens and camera body in to sigma sc for AF calibration.

Last edited:
i've been using my D90 close to 2 years and I've never encountered such. But with Sigma lens; yes and no. Yes, I've had focussing issue but no, I did not use liveview. Whenever my wife takes over the 'helm', which is rarely, she'll use liveview. But to date, I do not experience like you do.

Perhaps you may want to list the lens that you use.

emm..

Nikkor 35mm f1.8G
Nikkor 50mm f1.4D
Nikkor 85mm f1.8D

All the lens having this issue, when i nount on D60 and D80 there is no issue.

but when i mount on d90 using live view it is super clear but when using view finder it's not as clear.

Maybe can try the same test using portrait orientation and see if the problem is still there.

It may be due to focusing screen of the view finder of the camera in question as the problem does not arise from the other lenses you have tried on this camera

Last edited:
Bring to NSC for calibration

emm..

Nikkor 35mm f1.8G
Nikkor 50mm f1.4D
Nikkor 85mm f1.8D

All the lens having this issue, when i nount on D60 and D80 there is no issue.

but when i mount on d90 using live view it is super clear but when using view finder it's not as clear.

If not wrong, on camera itself, focus can be adjusted...my D70 can..if most lenses having this issue, it's probably the body...don't know if this works on D90...but still, trust NSC more than yourself...:bsmilie:
http://marvinchong.blogspot.com/2009/05/diy-focus-fine-tuning-on-nikon-d70.html

btw, I think most NSC work are done in an office kinda enviroment...

Last edited:
If not wrong, on camera itself, focus can be adjusted...my D70 can..if most lenses having this issue, it's probably the body...don't know if this works on D90...but still, trust NSC more than yourself...:bsmilie:
http://marvinchong.blogspot.com/2009/05/diy-focus-fine-tuning-on-nikon-d70.html

btw, I think most NSC work are done in an office kinda enviroment...

Thank YOU!!!! I try to do it on my own without going to NCS and this helps!!!!

now it's clear and sharp!!! thank god for not risking it in NCS dust... 2 of my friends having the same problem they didn't notice it until I told them.. they tested it and when they shoot 1.8 and 1.4 so normally portait the eyes will be blur that's quite normal for them but when i told them to use live view the eye was crisp sharp can even count the eye lashes when taking full body... so it's the body calibration...

now it's clear and sharp!!! thank god for not risking it in NCS dust... 2 of my friends having the same problem they didn't notice it until I told them.. they tested it and when they shoot 1.8 and 1.4 so normally portait the eyes will be blur that's quite normal for them but when i told them to use live view the eye was crisp sharp can even count the eye lashes when taking full body... so it's the body calibration...

Good to hear your problem is solved.

Glad to hear that. Btw, dust on sensor/viewfinder is really not disastrous...small prob... It shouldn't refrain you from going to NSC if you reali need so. You can always trust them with your Nikon gears :D

Hi all, I've been using nikon for past 3 years, recently I purchase the nikon d90. I realize i have this problem.

1. Live view focusing is much more accurate then view finder focusing.

it's crispy sharp compare to view finder even mounted on tripod and test.
DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

Does anyone have this problem? and how to solved it, If possible I would not want to go down to NSC becuase the last time i went to fix my camera came back got some dust on my view finder and the person told me "we did not do it in the dry room so it's common it got dust on it."
I was like WTF?!

No prob with my D300, but for my canon 500D also had the same issue, after calibrating it finding out that is has back focus issues problem solved :)

Last edited: