D90 A mode

dardar

Oct 6, 2010
is it my camera or is it that D90 A mode not accurate.

i often get my shot overexposed
during night it give very bad shutter speed.

Do you know what A mode does?

Erm... Have you use any other digital camera or another mode that will expose correctly?

Check if your EV is set at 0.
You might had accidentally left it at +X which causes the overexposure, and also the slow shutter speed at night.

Your metering mode also matters.

Whther you lock exposure values when u recompose also matters.

Setting exposure compensation also matters.

There are alot of factors, in any case, no camera will give you the perfect exposure, u have to decide urself. I am using d90 too, read reviews that its metering tend to overexpose, but so far no issues for me.

There's only inaccurate shutter speeds btw. Unless ur shutter is sticky, which is unlikely.

Shot over-exposed should be due to wrong metering or EV settings (Mostly wrong metering)

Shutter speeds are always slow at night unless u have a external flash/popup flash. It's a low light situation dude.

Also can be that the sun is too sunny and bright, and you try to shoot at too wide an aperture. Max shutter speed already attained, so in the end just overexposed.

yes i know what A mode does.
allow user set Fstop while the camera chooses shutter speed accordingly
correct me if i am wrong

for night shot or low lights i often find the shutter speed given is like too low for usage around below 30 (handheld) and often the picture will have a fake exposure like for example taking a sun rise or night safari shots.
i will have to use manual

last of all i usually use matrix metering not really sure about what metering do. but i tot matrix metering is like a auto metering

yes i know what A mode does.
for night shot or low lights i often find the shutter speed given is like too low for usage around below 30 (handheld) and often the picture will have a fake exposure like for example taking a sun rise or night safari shots.
i will have to use manual
Bump up your ISO settings, go to 1000-3200 if possible. If not use a flash or a fast lens.

last of all i usually use matrix metering not really sure about what metering do. but i tot matrix metering is like a auto metering

Sometimes auto does quite a good job but if you have complex scenes, the automatic functions tends to fallout. That's when the manual comes in handy, do more research on spot metering, you will get better results in your next shoot (provided you know how it works)