D800 wide angle len options?

JacePhoto

Oct 1, 2007
New York City
www.flickr.com
I am looking for wide angle lens (10, 20 to 24 mm wide) for D800. I tried w my 20 mm D lens and the 14-24 FX but it is soft and distorted at the edges.

Any one has found a solution? Any sample pictures to share? Thanks.

The Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm performs very good at F8. See my sample pics here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon/1092474-nikon-d800e-pursuit-sharpness.html ..also, several people did not agree with me , I think the pictures speak for them self . And I am going to test the Zeiss Distagon 18/35 soon . What I have read in other tests on the Distagon 18mm so far , the quality looks promising. But sorry, both are manual lenses. Yes, I had a similar experience with the Nikon 20mm myself , and I saw sample pics of the 14-24 ...also not very good.

Yeah. I saw your post. Yes. Its sharp. Sharper than Nikon 20 mm D or the 14-24 G.

I am exploring manual lens also.

I relooked at my own comparison of 20 and 14-24. Seems that 20 mm D does better than the zoom lens.

I am interested to find out Nikon 35 mm AFD F2 with D800.

Appreciate if someone can post some pics! Thanks!

The AFS 17-35mm f2.8 is already 'struggling' in the corners at f2.8-5.6 on my D700 so I guess that says it all.

Frankly, if you guys are obsessed with nothing but the very best, there is already a website eons ago by Lloyd Chambers (diglloyd - Blog) that does all these. Not all the materials are free though but you can gather some thoughts.

I am using 16-35 VR with D800 perfect at the edges as well!!!

I am wondering how does the Nikon 24mm 2.8 in comparison to the 20mm 2.8 does on the D800. It is my most used lens on holidays. Would love the 1.4 ver, but I can't use it on my film slr, and its so many times more than my old 2.8 ver, cant afford the huge price tag.

Metalhead said:
I am wondering how does the Nikon 24mm 2.8 in comparison to the 20mm 2.8 does on the D800. It is my most used lens on holidays. Would love the 1.4 ver, but I can't use it on my film slr, and its so many times more than my old 2.8 ver, cant afford the huge price tag.

If u need to share lens with a SLR camera, G lens is definitely not an option. How about considering 3rd party manual focus lenses such as Carl Zeiss or Samyang. At least it makes 24mm F/1.4 on film possible.

off hand at the moment, if you can live with manual focus, i will recommend the Zeiss Distagon 21mm ZE or ZF.2. Will be field testing it this weekend on my D800E, so I'll post some feedback when time allows. Diablo 3 is taking up all my time these days...

lens rentals has a blog post about recommended lenses, but there's really no surprise, at this level of resolution and sensor resolving power - even the best glass will start to display its flaws.

LensRentals.com - D800 Lens Selection

to be honest, after shooting the samyang 14mm last week, i was left thoroughly unimpressed with its performance.

i tested the 16-35 f/4 VR lens on the D800E last weekend. It is sharp all the way through the range. Quite impressed by its performance. I suppose it is easier to engineer a higher performing lens with a slower aperture (like how Leica's new crazy 50mm APO-Summicron f/2 costs USD 7200) than with a regular 2.8. It also accepts filters, but the distortion may be unsettling to some, especially for architecture stuff.

Personally speaking, I cannot really shoot beyond 21mm, it seems too wide for me, so that's why I took myself off the pre-order for the Zeiss 15/2.8. As great as that lens promises to be, I just don't use it. So far, I think that the Leica 21/3.4 Super-Elmar is the highest performing 21mm lens I've ever used - brilliant contrast, color saturation, sharpness to the corners, nearly zero distortion (I kid you not!) and performs its best half a stop down at f/4.

I am looking for wide angle lens (10, 20 to 24 mm wide) for D800. I tried w my 20 mm D lens and the 14-24 FX but it is soft and distorted at the edges.

Any one has found a solution? Any sample pictures to share? Thanks.

What kind of distortion are you referring to? The 14-24mm should do quite well with curvilinear distortion i.e. barrel distortion. If you meant perspective distortions, you should know that its inherent in all wide angles.....

I'm quite surprised to read that 14-24mm is soft. Probably the Zeiss primes for you then?

What kind of distortion are you referring to? The 14-24mm should do quite well with curvilinear distortion i.e. barrel distortion. If you meant perspective distortions, you should know that its inherent in all wide angles.....

I'm quite surprised to read that 14-24mm is soft. Probably the Zeiss primes for you then?

yeah lor. probably Zeiss Lens liao lor.

Here's a a first sample shot with the D800E / Zeiss Distagon 18/3.5 , handheld , ISO 400 , F16
( Sorry guys , "only B&W" , but thats my color of choice)

7220144642_ba384b0e31_b.jpg
[/url] _DSC0096 by AchimReh, on Flickr[/IMG]

i tested the 16-35 f/4 VR lens on the D800E last weekend. It is sharp all the way through the range. Quite impressed by its performance. I suppose it is easier to engineer a higher performing lens with a slower aperture (like how Leica's new crazy 50mm APO-Summicron f/2 costs USD 7200) than with a regular 2.8. It also accepts filters, but the distortion may be unsettling to some, especially for architecture stuff.

I returned the 16-35mm for something else after a few days. To be honest, I can't imagine curvilinear distortions to be that horrible for a lens close to $2k and in this day and age. Though most curvilinear distortions can be corrected but that thing was giving me something more complex which will prolong my workflow significantly. I gave up.

I returned the 16-35mm for something else after a few days. To be honest, I can't imagine curvilinear distortions to be that horrible for a lens close to $2k and in this day and age. Though most curvilinear distortions can be corrected but that thing was giving me something more complex which will prolong my workflow significantly. I gave up.

This is my same sentiments... I thought Nikon Lens are best w the Nikon Camera (esp D800).