D800 User Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those with thunderbolt port, this is faster than USB 2.0. Though more expensive, you gain the faster speed as compared to USB 2.0.

However, for those with USB 3.0 port, you can stick with USB 3.0 as Thunderbolt does not offer much speed gain over USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 is much cheaper.

Check the following comparison out:

Seagate GoFlex Turbo Review. Thunderbolt, USB 3.0/2.0, Firewire 800 - YouTube

crazypaladin said:
For those with thunderbolt port, this is faster than USB 2.0. Though more expensive, you gain the faster speed as compared to USB 2.0.

However, for those with USB 3.0 port, you can stick with USB 3.0 as Thunderbolt does not offer much speed gain over USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 is much cheaper.

Check the following comparison out:

Seagate GoFlex Turbo Review. Thunderbolt, USB 3.0/2.0, Firewire 800 - YouTube

Yes for my case, if wanna go for USB 3.0 should be change my whole laptop to become MBP Retina for total cost $3k vs $300 for using thunderbolt still worth it for me.

Yes for my case, if wanna go for USB 3.0 should be change my whole laptop to become MBP Retina for total cost $3k vs $300 for using thunderbolt still worth it for me.

funny you mention. I just did the $3k solution last week. :p got tired of waiting around for the new iMac.

well, at the moment, USB3.0 drives are (very much) cheaper than thunderbolt drives.

Same for my case, my current iMac do not support USB3.0, thus have to resort to Thunderbolt solution.

The technician also told me that it is preflash. But the thing is, all my settings were manual. Manual focus, manual shutter, aperture, ISO, flash power. I rarely ever used TTL. It didn't make sense for it to preflash at all. And the thing is, the problem doesn't exist on my D80.

You mean even flash power change to manual also fired 2 times? I had test mine, all manual including flash power, it only fired once before shutter close. Nikon should change a new one for you if they cannot solve this problem .

You mean even flash power change to manual also fired 2 times? I had test mine, all manual including flash power, it only fired once before shutter close. Nikon should change a new one for you if they cannot solve this problem .

Yes I always use manual.. using TTL or iTTL uses battery too fast and I don't need it.

Confirm that you used rear curtain flash? You tested with bulb mode or long shutter to see if the preflash appeared?

I just tested with onboard flash only, all manual mode. The preflash fires but does not appear in the picture. I used CLS before and the preflash appeared in the picture, but for that I'll need to test again.

I using M mode, bulb, f10, ISO 100 and at menu e3 change to manual flash power.
When I press the shutter it did not fire, it only fire when I release the shutter, but
at TTL mode it fire 2 times

Dfive said:
Whats the $3k MBP Retina solution ? how....

Buying a new Retina display MacBook Pro for over S$3,000.

I using M mode, bulb, f10, ISO 100 and at menu e3 change to manual flash power.
When I press the shutter it did not fire, it only fire when I release the shutter, but
at TTL mode it fire 2 times

Thanks for doing the test! I just checked, it only happens when I set the on-board flash to commander mode. Technically it still should not do the pre-flash since everything is manual, but it does. :(

loboclerk said:
Thanks for doing the test! I just checked, it only happens when I set the on-board flash to commander mode. Technically it still should not do the pre-flash since everything is manual, but it does. :(

If you're on commander mode, shouldn't the preflash be present to control other CLS flashes.

Technically it shouldn't preflash , I remember my previous D300 did not preflash when in commander mode.
Fired so many times all insect runaway ... Joke

Let me rephrase that ... if you're in commander mode, there should be a preflash to trigger your CLS flashes if group A or B are set to "M". However, there will not be any preflash if group A and B are set to "-".

Just to share my simple shot with my beloved D800..

7878523264_1b78523592_c.jpg

Very nice !! Thanks for sharing .

Hi guys. Wandering if you experience lubricant stain on sensor often. I have my D800 for 2 months and need to send back nsc for sensor cleaning twice so far.

Dfive said:
Fast shutter actions, or using continuous burst of frames ( FPS ) has been known to do it sadly. ( on many high spec / or high frame rate cams... not just Nikon )

Do you guys always send back to nsc for cleaning or diy?
Any recommended kit if diy?

Status
Not open for further replies.