D800 User Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umeiko

Apr 27, 2007
Normally there is a specific camera model user thread. Not sure why no one has started one for D800. So I will start the ball rolling.

I have posted a time lapse and picture taken with D800 to share with everyone in my Flickr profile.

The time lapse is a neat feature as the camera will create a movie file at the end of the time lapse.

Currently waiting for the GGS LCD screen protector. Hope it's available soon.

Last edited:
I think it's because there's too little sets available in users hand in singapore...

Maybe slightly more than the number of fingers and toes on you? And how many of them are CS members??

maybe everyone was just waiting for this thread to be started :p

One wonders just how many Nikon D800 are out there...

Personally know 3 dudes with the set, there seems to be a 2nd batch in already so there should be more than 20 holding onto the cam now.

TS could u post the pics here directly for convenience of everyone?

I haven't seen a lot of improvement in terms of image sharpness when compared with D80, but noise control is much better. Ultimately sharpness is dependent on many other factors in macro.

Unfortunately, with full frame, my Tamron 180mm doesn't go well with Raynox250, causing heavy vignetting.

Taken last week, cropped 2x.
DSC_5103.jpg

One advantage of D800 here... is that I have a lot of room for cropping to taste in case the composition in the field goes off badly.

Last edited:
Wah? Sibe Keen leh... LOL. I hope those few lucky owner feel the urgency here and post more field report. For me personally will wait till D800E come out. No rush.

Glad to have a thread dedicated for this lovely cam.
All i can say its breathtaking the amount of details it can capture with much significant iso improvement over its predecessor.
I m for one a happy owner. Some pics to share taken recently.

Sunrise 25 Mar 12

6866760248_b3d4f1d2ea_c.jpg

ILight

7011223261_564c1495a7_b.jpg

Havelock View

7025724909_ef7c13bd38_b.jpg

New ride for my prince/princess

7041308093_3d92cd9a12_b.jpg

wonder if any D800 user here has also used the D3s before, and can comment on the AF speed / exposure metering / high ISO noise comparison btwn the two?

Anyone planning on getting the new Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 to max out the D800? Whatever reviews available for it claims that it is the new gold standard for UWA.

Personally know 3 dudes with the set, there seems to be a 2nd batch in already so there should be more than 20 holding onto the cam now.

TS could u post the pics here directly for convenience of everyone?

I haven't seen a lot of improvement in terms of image sharpness when compared with D80, but noise control is much better. Ultimately sharpness is dependent on many other factors in macro.

Unfortunately, with full frame, my Tamron 180mm doesn't go well with Raynox250, causing heavy vignetting.

Taken last week, cropped 2x.

One advantage of D800 here... is that I have a lot of room for cropping to taste in case the composition in the field goes off badly.

I wasn't successful in pasting the time lapse. I only know how to paste photo. Here is one to share. It's quite similar to Numnumball post. He he.

7035472005_29556da699_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Normally there is a specific camera model user thread. Not sure why no one has started one for D800. So I will start the ball rolling.

I have posted a time lapse and picture taken with D800 to share with everyone in my Flickr profile.

The time lapse is a neat feature as the camera will create a movie file at the end of the time lapse.

Currently waiting for the GGS LCD screen protector. Hope it's available soon.

still prefer to batchprocess the raw files and then create the timelapse clip using quicktime or sth... but yes the option of convenience is always helpful.

Flickr: aFrIcanSH's stuff tagged with d800

Here! Some shots. Haven't had the time to use it properly. More D800s will crop up soon, but nikon having to supply so many countries and all the backorders, i'm just glad i got one so i don't have to keep looking out for it.

I kinda expected myself to go all ga-ga over the fx format and d800, but i feel its a more subtle improvement over the d300 in almost every respect other than grip. Prefer holding the D300 for long periods. And wb and the green hue lcd screen. WB can be erratic, and from what i've tested the AF locking on may actually lock onto the wrong subject and you fire a burst only to have half the stuff OOF and other half tack sharp. When it locks its great. Probably a user error anyway. Used AF-C 21pt.

I guess it's ard 20 odds sets. But after this weekend, you should see more. I got a hunch....

I remember that somewhere mentioned Nikon will produce 30k units of D800 a month. I was surprised to find my D800 serial number is only 1000+ and I got it just last weekend. Guess thy are still ramping up their production line.

Here! Some shots. Haven't had the time to use it properly. More D800s will crop up soon, but nikon having to supply so many countries and all the backorders, i'm just glad i got one so i don't have to keep looking out for it.

I kinda expected myself to go all ga-ga over the fx format and d800, but i feel its a more subtle improvement over the d300 in almost every respect other than grip. Prefer holding the D300 for long periods. And wb and the green hue lcd screen. WB can be erratic, and from what i've tested the AF locking on may actually lock onto the wrong subject and you fire a burst only to have half the stuff OOF and other half tack sharp. When it locks its great. Probably a user error anyway. Used AF-C 21pt.

Missing the focus can happen to any camera. But I find that the focus is really fast. Felt that it's faster than my D3. Even my friend also noticed the quicker focus. Quite surprising.

Such a coincidence, most of us tried out the camera around the Marina Bay area. Here are some of my shots.

7044881843_0fe96c7da2_b.jpg

7044882405_442ca853c9_b.jpg

Last edited:
It locks on better in lower light thats for sure. I suppose tracking is due to user error...but the wb is rather erratic. Have you encountered situations where you take 2 shots and the wb in both shots differ in the same settings? And my lcd has a green hue to it. Hopefully a firmware update can fix them, for now i'll shoot. Or find the time to shoot.

With regards to the erratic WB, do you take the picture under fluorescent light with shutter speed greater than 1/100sec? I encountered this problem too, but this is expected as explained in this article.

Last edited:
asdfg said:
I kinda expected myself to go all ga-ga over the fx format and d800, but i feel its a more subtle improvement over the d300 in almost every respect other than grip. Prefer holding the D300 for long periods.

Not very sure if it's ok to compare D300 against D800, but subtle improvement is really an understatement..
For a start to see how a FX sensor triumph over DX sensor, move in nearer to the subject. The DOF behind the subject will be even more blur than what ur DX body with the same lens can achieve under the same framing.

Your view in the viewfinder is bigger and brighter, which is also a common improvement over D300 by most FX camera body. the ISO capabilities of a D700 can put a D300(s) to shame. See how similar the grains when comparing 6400 in D700 and 1600 in D300(s). That's 2 stops advantage already! I won't say D800 is definitely better than D700 in this department, but it is definitely not far worse of.

36mp goodness of details u can capture is only a subtle improvement over D300? I dunno if u need that much details or megapixels, but it's surely not a subtle improvement.

Though I also agree with u that the ergonomics may not be as comfortable than in D300, I would tend to believe that it just takes a moment to get used to that's all. It might also be that ur uncomfort is due to the extra weight u are carrying. Felt the same way when I switch to D700, but D800 slimming over D700 is definitely a welcome for me, as long as the body is not physically smaller (thank goodness I was wrong abt this)....

Status
Not open for further replies.