D800 storage speed

boxerfan

Oct 19, 2008
Singapore
Content wise there should be no diff between uncompressed RAW vs. compressed lossless RAW.

So which has better throughput?
1. Dumping 75MB/s per shot, or
2. Compress then dump ~45MB/s

Anyone tested ?

boxerfan said:
Content wise there should be no diff between uncompressed RAW vs. compressed lossless RAW.

Anyone tested ?

Definitely is compressed lossless at 75-79mb.

If compare from d80 vs d800 u think which can win?

For The D800 at 36mp, if you can afford and go for higher speed on 95mb/s SD or 90mb/s CF that taken less buffering when shoot in 36mp of Raws.
But for mine when used on SD 95mb/s for sometime may facing on buffer a while on reading / writing lagging.
If possible and go with Lexar 1000x.

Just a bit common sense..

Cause this topic has been repeat & just google it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You mentioned storage and speed and these are two different things.

Storage wise, for general user, compressed lossless at 45MB would be good enough. Visually, hard to see difference in quality between 75MB file and 45MB file.

For speed, if you do not need to shoot a large number of frames per second, get at least a 4X reputable SD card so that you can still shoot decent video with the D800, as you will not use the higher speed SD card to its full potential anyway. Point to note, get a REPUTABLE SD card as 4X speed is the minimum for HD video recording, at least according to my experience.

boxerfan said:

Anyone tested ?

Kinda sound like splitting hairs to me...

Did more research and simulation, agree that this question is really splitting hair :)
Bottom line for the storage card I have, the compress lossless probably is the better setting for me.

For those interested, since I spent the time to do a quick calc, here's the working.... [please skip over this post if one feels like flaming me ;) ]

Assume LZ compression rate of 200MB/s, 75MB will take 0.375s.

With 60MB/s read | 45MB/s write CF card:
Uncompressed RAW = 1.67s
Comp Lossless RAW = 1.00s + 0.375s = 1.375s.

With 90MB/s read | 60MB/s write CF card:
Uncompressed RAW = 1.25s
Comp Lossless RAW = 0.75s + 0.375s = 1.125s.