D800 shutter irregularity

Southbeach

Aug 11, 2009
Sunny Singapore!
Hey peeps!

I need a little help here, I realized the other day whilst randomly shooting L.E.D lights at O.C. that there seems to be some shutter irregularity. The effect seems very similar to rear curtain syncing on strobes. These shots were taken without flash, on manual settings, bracketing off. Basically my first shot was taken at f/1.4 (S) 1/500 ISO 500 which turned out fine. The second shot was then taken at f/1.4 (S) 1/250 ISO 500, it seems that even with a slower shutter this effect is being created.I gave at least 2-3 seconds in between each shot as I recomposed. I have attached the EXIF data of these photos. I dont remember LED pulsing unlike fluorescent lamps, correct me if i'm wrong. Has anyone had experience with such an issue?

ZCN0Q.jpg

Y1MPu.jpg

Xhaum.jpg

EGHwA.png

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
James

what metering you are using? Spot? Matrix?

Spot all three were shot on spot then again I use mostly spot, preference I guess.

It's the spot metering causing the shutter to change

If you are using spot metering, do u take note of where are you aiming(focusing) each time? Is it the same spot for the few pics, you can use in-cam AF point settings(display) to review the pics.

Btw you also mention u are using manual settings, does it mean manual mode? If yes, your shutter speed should not change unless you change yourself.

Last edited:
shutter speed won't change if you are using manual exposure mode, unless bracketing exposure is turn on.
but since you mention bracketing is off, so there is no answer for this.

Quite sure it is the same as fluorescent light effects - due to AC at 50 Hz. Do at below 1/50s you should be ok.

LEDs do flicker. I have seen videos of LED traffic lights and car's LED lights flickering on and off.

Thanks for all the input guys, I shot these all on manual settings, BKT was off, double checked to make sure. Thing is the previous few pictures were shot at a shutter of 125 and 500 with no problems. Would anyone recommend I take it down to NSC to have a look?

Thanks for all the input guys, I shot these all on manual settings, BKT was off, double checked to make sure. Thing is the previous few pictures were shot at a shutter of 125 and 500 with no problems. Would anyone recommend I take it down to NSC to have a look?

Please show the full details of your 3 pics exif as I'm are not sure of what do you mean by manual settings. The examples of the 3 exif info you post only tells what is the different shutter speed, ISO used, EV, focal length, metering mode & flash used.
From photo of windows properties -> details, scroll down to Advanced photo -> exposure program.
Else you can ask Nikon service centre for help on the your enquiries.

Light Flicker on the 7D - YouTube

It is not your camera. Your shots just happen to coincide with the exact time when the LEDs are flickering off. The only way to get around this is and get consistent exposure is to use a much lower shutter speed preferably half the frequency of the flickering LEDs. Any faster shutter speed than that, it's purely luck whether you hit the on, off or partially on/off cycle of the LED.