D800 left focus issue

ming0281

Apr 21, 2009
Any one here experience d800 left focus problem?

Checked mine and no issues

There were quite a handful of early D800 owners experiencing the left focus issue. But Nikon Singapore seems to be able to tune the 51 AF points individually. If you are in doubt, you can bring your camera to the service centre for the technician to take a look.

I plan to buy d800, but heard the left focus issue, that's why ask here, seems like new patches no such issue any more...

Can any one share how much they brought? Check ms color is 4300, heard can get at 4065, but do know where??

Mustafa is selling at $3999 ( incl gst ) FYI which can be paid using credit card.

I read someone saying that People's Audio at People Park Complex is selling at $3980 ( incl gst )

any "official" info on this issue..... Ive not seen ?
Neither have I seen any "admission" from Nikon of their defective productions. If they come out with anything official, it means they are admitting that they have failed. But I know that if you bring in to them your defective cameras they will fix it quietly.

Most likely they have ironed out this problem and later production models are without this defect.

In this respect, has anyone bought a D800 within the last 2 months with such a problem?

Got mine in June in Malacca. Tested my set. No such problems. Lucky... If not must travel all the way to KL to rectify!

redviper said:
Got mine in June in Malacca. Tested my set. No such problems. Lucky... If not must travel all the way to KL to rectify!

JB got service center? Hehe

Jeremy1 said:
Mustafa is selling at $3999 ( incl gst ) FYI which can be paid using credit card.

I read someone saying that People's Audio at People Park Complex is selling at $3980 ( incl gst )

Mustafa shopping center???

JB ah bring to Singapore lah, cause too near.

Maybe all the NSC's in Malaysia send to S'pore to be fixed or serviced.
I know last time when the agent was Shriro, Malaysia would send everything down to S'pore.

rain5533 said:
JB ah bring to Singapore lah, cause too near.

Well my set was bought from kl...was asking if there's a service center in JB that can bring it to in case needed

trd2970 said:
Well my set was bought from kl...was asking if there's a service center in JB that can bring it to in case needed

Hi, In JB really don't have any NSC like mine still waiting time for bring in SG service.
If send KL have to take on one month for return.
Maybe if you have go back KL just go down TimeSquare loh.

Sadly no. Most of us who buy in JB will usually send to the store we buy from and they send it for us if needed. But process is longer. Canon guys have it better, as there is CSC in JB and KL.

There were quite a handful of early D800 owners experiencing the left focus issue. But Nikon Singapore seems to be able to tune the 51 AF points individually. If you are in doubt, you can bring your camera to the service centre for the technician to take a look.

I think the left focus problem is not rampant in our part of the world.

It seems to be occurring mostly in the US and Europe. IMHO I think it is because they were the first to receive the early production copies before Nikon detected the problem. Those early customers were the unwitting testers for this new model. I think Nikon quite unfairly made use of them to test their initial production at the customers' expense, ie, they had to return their copies for adjustments or for exchange on their own.

Also, another cause of this as well as other problems, I suspect is that in those parts of the world the cameras are often delivered by couriers. They do a lot of mail orders as it is convenient and cheaper for the merchants. And we all know how deftly these couriers handle their packages. You can be sure they don't treat them as we molly-coddle our precious equipment. Digital cameras and lenses are delicate precision instruments which will certainly go out of alignment if they are handled worse than a football.

So we should perhaps count ourselves fortunate not to be the first customers of every new model that comes out.

Last edited:
Mine is alright S/N: 8004xxx. Maybe all serial number starts with 800xxxx.

Actually I called Nikon CSC 2 weeks ago, they admitted that some customers did bring some D800 for servicing for focusing issue.

Then I asked whether the new batch is alright? The lady said sorry not sure.