D800 left focus issue

Mine is alright S/N: 8004xxx. Maybe all serial number starts with 800xxxx.

Actually I called Nikon CSC 2 weeks ago, they admitted that some customers did bring some D800 for servicing for focusing issue.

Then I asked whether the new batch is alright? The lady said sorry not sure.

Unless the user know how to uncover the left focus issue in the correct way ;)

My serial is also 800zzz but exhibits slight off focus on the extreme left using my 24mm. Going to nsc next week.

I think the left focus problem is not rampant in our part of the world.

It seems to be occurring mostly in the US and Europe. IMHO I think it is because they were the first to receive the early production copies before Nikon detected the problem. Those early customers were the unwitting testers for this new model. I think Nikon quite unfairly made use of them to test their initial production at the customers' expense, ie, they had to return their copies for adjustments or for exchange on their own.

Also, another cause of this as well as other problems, I suspect is that in those parts of the world the cameras are often delivered by couriers. They do a lot of mail orders as it is convenient and cheaper for the merchants. And we all know how deftly these couriers handle their packages. You can be sure they don't treat them as we molly-coddle our precious equipment. Digital cameras and lenses are delicate precision instruments which will certainly go out of alignment if they are handled worse than a football.

So we should perhaps count ourselves fortunate not to be the first customers of every new model that comes out.

I got my d800 on 23 March s/n 80010xx and d800e 2 May s/n 80015xx and thank God I don't have any focus issues.

slow trekker said:
I got my d800 on 23 March s/n 80010xx and d800e 2 May s/n 80015xx and thank God I don't have any focus issues.

U keep both the d800???

Mine got the Left AF issue an still not too big impact lah.

Anywhere still can shoot and only avoid for close up in wide open for left AF only

BTW just take my time to send in NSC for service & alignment.

Unless the user know how to uncover the left focus issue in the correct way ;)

yup, I wonder what lens they used to test their AF.

Do all of them has a bright WA lens?

yup, I wonder what lens they used to test their AF.

Do all of them has a bright WA lens?

I used both the 14-24 and 24-70, hope that's enough.

Last edited:
slow trekker said:
there is some the e is sharper, more detail and have not seen any moir as reported by others.

Thanks, just wondering about the color on netting object will be change to very colorful?

Last edited:
The D800E technical manual clearly states various ways to avoid moire.

Wide angle is not easy for AF system. The camera manuals already stated situations that the AF system would be less effective.

Among all the Pro grade lenses that I have, the 24mm 1.4 is the only one to have problem. The focus ring has slight back lash and also a little looser than the rest (14-24, 24-70, 70,200, 85 1.4). Sent back to CSC they showed me another new copy that has same issue. To me it is an issue as I sometimes do manual override recently. Asked them to check again whether this is design or tolerance issue. I just want no back lash at all like the rest of my Nikon lenses. After checking they need 3-4 weeks to get some parts from Japan.

The D800E technical manual clearly states various ways to avoid moire.

The moire is not so obvious if we never zoom in to view the picture in general ? :dunno:

Sorry, I thought the manual would have stated more clearly.

It happens at certain distance and angle that the pattern aligns with the sensor pattern in a certain way.

Use it long enough you should anticipate when moire may happen so you will check for them. Change the angle/distance if it happens.

Actually even camera like D3S also can suffer from moire although very rare. I've seen it on some rails on a balcony of a building.

Any bro or sis here notice that the left AF is still out despite re-calibration by Nikon SC?

Seems like I am having the issue still!!! :dunno:

Do the necessary target test with tripod setup. Go back to NSC and show them as evidence of the "issue" after calibration with you sample shots.

Any bro or sis here notice that the left AF is still out despite re-calibration by Nikon SC?

Seems like I am having the issue still!!! :dunno:

Sent D800 with S/N: 80206** to Nikon service centre @ Anson rd on the 8th of October 2012, received it back on the 10th of October. While I was there, service staff didn't even probe further as they knew it was for the left focus issue.

Tested the post-repair camera on a tripod against Siemen star focus charts, comparing the Live view shots vs the autofocus ones, images using the extreme left focus point are now tack sharp. Images were taken using a Nikkor 24mm f1.4.

yeah...i think no need check serial number...all have lah...but heng mine not gray set...they ask me got pic to prove? i say got but never bring..hehe.. honestly...i also don't know what to look out for...i did take some using my 60mm micro..i feel minimal or none. since we paid a premium for local set..bring in to NSC lor...and the tech guy mr lee and the customer service ms Lee...they test and say have. good to have service lah...i even bring in my 24-70..they say oi...no problem leh...i say nevermind...u all go test until happy...carpark expensive here...don't ask me come too many times. :)