D800 is Number ONE!

I know ! I know !!
Kekeke ...

This could be the one I am waiting for, whether D800 or D800E. I will wait another 3 to 6 months for more evaluation and maybe the price will come down.

If you look closely at the measurements, the D700 and D800 is closer than the numbers suggest. The main improvements is actually the D800 has a ISO100 mode which outperforms D700 ISO200 mode by a fair margin. At higher ISO, the performance of the D700 and D800 in all the DXO metrics is remarkably similar.

Frankly, at good light, I thought D700 IS200 pics are already extremely good. Is the improvements visible?

If you look closely at the measurements, the D700 and D800 is closer than the numbers suggest.
the key improvement I think is that they manage all those numbers while tripling the pixel count... whether one needs all those pixels should be a consideration though, especially if one doesn't print big...

If you look closely at the measurements, the D700 and D800 is closer than the numbers suggest. The main improvements is actually the D800 has a ISO100 mode which outperforms D700 ISO200 mode by a fair margin. At higher ISO, the performance of the D700 and D800 in all the DXO metrics is remarkably similar.

Frankly, at good light, I thought D700 IS200 pics are already extremely good. Is the improvements visible?
If you are someone who needs that extra dynamic range, then yes I think the improvements will be visible.

If you are someone who needs that extra dynamic range, then yes I think the improvements will be visible.

Yup, the DR is the only thing that I think is useful. The high ISO noise performance seems to be rather similar to D700 up to maybe ISO3200.

before anyone gets carried away, might i gently remind everyone to be civil and not start a brand-war. thank you. :)

Hi friends,

I have no experience in using a Nikon FF DSLR and am interested in either the D800 or the D800E. The specifications state that the D800 can also be used on the DX mode, APS-C, at 15.1 mp and 1.2x crop mode which is 25 mp. Does this mean that I can actually have 3 cameras in one, Fx, Dx and 1.2 crop? Can someone help explain whether my interpretation is correct? Thanks.

Anthony Lee said:
Hi friends,

I have no experience in using a Nikon FF DSLR and am interested in either the D800 or the D800E. The specifications state that the D800 can also be used on the DX mode, APS-C, at 15.1 mp and 1.2x crop mode which is 25 mp. Does this mean that I can actually have 3 cameras in one, Fx, Dx and 1.2 crop? Can someone help explain whether my interpretation is correct? Thanks.

Essentially yes. That also means if you set to DX mode you should be able to use your DX lenses with the body since the mount is the same.

Anthony Lee said:
Hi friends,

U missed out one more mode. Which is 5:4 portrait mode. By your definition, we have 4 cameras in 1 :D

Essentially yes. That also means if you set to DX mode you should be able to use your DX lenses with the body since the mount is the same.

Thanks, this is exactly what I want to know, not unlike cropping a full frame image, but actually shooting on crop mode with a Dx lens.