D800 for wedding photography

mzhaf7

Sep 3, 2010
hi guys.. what are your thoughts with regards to d800 for wedding photography? anyone tried before? i know 36mp is a bit too big but ur thoughts pls..

hi guys.. what are your thoughts with regards to d800 for wedding photography? anyone tried before? i know 36mp is a bit too big but ur thoughts pls..

It's called suicide.

The 36 MP produce very large file size.

If you use small memory card, you will ran out of space in the middle of the wedding.

If you use slow computer, you will take longer time to do post processing.

You need to invest in bigger memory card and faster computer for post processing.

The storage for the large files is also a headache.

Eventually, all these will add to your operating cost.

If shooting prewed D800 is still ok. For AD? unless you are going to shoot with Jpeg at lower resolution.

got money just buy.

anyway if you have the money to buy D800 sure got money to buy bigger capacity memory card, how much only. if it's your rice bowl this kind of investment should be easily covered

If shooting prewed D800 is still ok. For AD? unless you are going to shoot with Jpeg at lower resolution.

I shot with the D800 + EyeFi, Basic+Small = 5mb file. That's for JPEG. I don't think I want to use the D800 except when I'm expected to do very large prints. Kinda glad the D4 was only 16MP.

I shot with the D800 + EyeFi, Basic+Small = 5mb file. That's for JPEG. I don't think I want to use the D800 except when I'm expected to do very large prints. Kinda glad the D4 was only 16MP.

Agree with you and that's what the D800 is designed and built for in studio work and producing large prints. Sometimes we humans get mesmerized by exceptional features and thus overlooked on the practical side. And yes the D4 at 16MP is still considered a sweet spot, just that owning one is a costly investment.

Agree with you and that's what the D800 is designed and built for in studio work and producing large prints. Sometimes we humans get mesmerized by exceptional features and thus overlooked on the practical side. And yes the D4 at 16MP is still considered a sweet spot, just that owning one is a costly investment.

The D600 would be another option to consider at 24mp. 6MP from the older days of DSLR already achieved very large prints. Do we really need 36MP? I'm happy with a 6mp FX. That's just me.

was thinking of the d600 but with all the sensor problems, i wont wanna waste time go nsc every nw n then.. have a d700 n looking at d800 to complement.. d4 is awesome but way off budget..

was thinking of the d600 but with all the sensor problems, i wont wanna waste time go nsc every nw n then.. have a d700 n looking at d800 to complement.. d4 is awesome but way off budget..

get another D700 to compliment. problem solved.

mzhaf7 said:

D600 files isn't exactly small either. If you shoot AD, stick to D700 & D3s. Or bite the D4 bullet.... (If you shoot only in FX)
D300s is the sweetest spot if u can take at DX.

Last edited:
a 32GB memory card can store about a couple hundreds of NEF files, depends you save it in compressed files or non compressed files, so how many memory cards you intend to bring?

are you going to download 50-80GB photos and post process them?

without upsampling, D800 can print a 16"x24" photo easily, how many large photos your customers intend to print?

if you shoot for money, as long your customers pay you well and you think you can justify it, than go ahead by all means.

Unnecessary worry. I'm getting a D600 soon as backup for my D4. But of course, YMMV.

I do not do wedding but I use a D800 for my hobbyist everyday shooting.... if you are looking to gun the D800 like a machine gun (not that fast anyway also) you will have loads of files to process. Maybe you would want to see your typical shoot avg per AD, take the total number of pic, then do a 3x size (assuming a D700) increase per file.

Processing speed as long as the comp can handle no problem, my only issue is the transfer time. Previously transferring 150 lossless comp raw using USB2.0 card read on a Extreme Pro Scandisk CF into lightroom takes near to 30mins. Can go make a cup of coffee.. come back.. the transfer still not done. If you can leave with that.. by all means.

You can also shoot low res jpeg.. but to me that beats the purpose of paying for a D800.

Like others have said before me, for pre-wedding work where you don't really burst and might need to blow the print up, D800 would be good to have (although I think the 24mp D600 is more than enough).
Else for AD and events, 12mp is the sweet spot as far as resolution and workflow is concerned.

The dust issue of the D600 has been resolved actually. If you buy one of the older stock, bringing it into NSC will get the issue resolved for you also, as reported by some of the other CSers. You can read more about it here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon/1164826-d600-do-you-have-spot-oil-issue-29.html#post8361038

I am still using a D700 as a second body, and the camera is still very relevant in this day. Overall it is still a better camera than the D600 in terms of handling and AF.

Last edited:
The dust issue of the D600 has been resolved actually. If you buy one of the older stock, bringing it into NSC will get the issue resolved for you also, as reported by some of the other CSers. You can read more about it here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon/1164826-d600-do-you-have-spot-oil-issue-29.html#post8361038

I am still using a D700 as a second body, and the camera is still very relevant in this day. Overall it is still a better camera than the D600 in terms of handling and AF.

Second that ^^