D800 for wedding photography

D800 is a little overkill for Wedding events as those photos are rarefully printed BIG. It is about 400 photos for a 32GB card bring some extras.

ISO wise, no problem at all. As usual, the WB color tone tends to be on the yellow-green side but can be preset to M1 and it will be fine or do it post processing.

Last edited:
I haven't really used a Nikon D800 in a full scale event or actual day wedding photography yet, but here are my thoughts.

1. I don't think file size is that big a problem. If the photographer chooses to utilize RAW file functionality, he or she just has to prepare tons of memory cards and a good PC.

2. The dynamic range is excellent at low ISO, and images are presentable even at ISO 6400, so I don't see any issues.

3. The 4fps may be a little slow if you wish to take a collage of the some motion shots, but hey, it is still manageable.

4. I won't be handicapped at all with the D800.

5. However, I would probably be happier with a D3s or D4.

The next question to ask is why the 12-24 and 17-55 still being sold?

If you got only one camera to buy I would jump into the D800 on any given day.

The next question to ask is why the 12-24 and 17-55 still being sold?

If you got only one camera to buy I would jump into the D800 on any given day.

Because DX is still very relevant today, even in professional work.

I wouldn't jump onto the D800 if I have only one camera to buy. Because I didn't. Everyone has different needs, budget and ROI projections.

Remember, having that top of the line camera does nothing for the quality of pictures if the photographer behind that tool is not competent enough. And we have seen a lot of examples of this actually.

Last edited:
TS, it's true that file sizes are very big with D800 but it gives u lots of room for cropping if needed in PP.
Hv used D800 as main cam for 4 ADs and some other evets using JPEG Large, no issue.

Use RAW for Studio, Pre-Weds and JPEG, L or Normal for events.
Don't worry bro.. Mem/Disk space is cheap...!!! :)

Regards,
Andy

Because DX is still very relevant today, even in professional work.

I wouldn't jump onto the D800 if I have only one camera to buy. Because I didn't. Everyone has different needs, budget and ROI projections.

Remember, having that top of the line camera does nothing for the quality of pictures if the photographer behind that tool is not competent enough. And we have seen a lot of examples of this actually.

Absolutely right based on needs/wants, budget, ROI for whatever reasons. IMO, there isn't a camera for that price range that has the capability to do that many functions in one camera.

Absolutely right based on needs/wants, budget, ROI for whatever reasons. IMO, there isn't a camera for that price range that has the capability to do that many functions in one camera.

I would think the 5Dm3 comes close

Lots of pros were using 5DM2 when it first came out and nobody complains with the big (then "21 mp") file size.

I would think the 5Dm3 comes close

How so? Are you able to shoot at Full Resolution, zoom in to about 60% of the image and still make A2 prints? What about shooting for the exact ratio for magazine ads?

But if you are talking about Full HD video, I would agree but other than image making, for price, functionality and still being able to capture good quality video, I say that the D800 is the one that can do it all. Even for sports, I would say that it is capable of keeping up.

How so? Are you able to shoot at Full Resolution, zoom in to about 60% of the image and still make A2 prints? What about shooting for the exact ratio for magazine ads?

But if you are talking about Full HD video, I would agree but other than image making, for price, functionality and still being able to capture good quality video, I say that the D800 is the one that can do it all. Even for sports, I would say that it is capable of keeping up.

I've done 20" x 30" using the D2HS. A2 size being only 23.4" x 16.5", is not a problem with the 5DMK3 @ 60% = 13.2MP. Heard before some guy did 2m x 3m from the D2HS back in those days.

Since we all know that D2HS is at 4MP, so what's with A2 sizes even from a D4 or older D100? D800 isn't the only one capable of making prints at A2.

I've done 20" x 30" using the D2HS. A2 size being only 23.4" x 16.5", is not a problem with the 5DMK3 @ 60% = 13.2MP. Heard before some guy did 2m x 3m from the D2HS back in those days.

Since we all know that D2HS is at 4MP, so what's with A2 sizes even from a D4 or older D100? D800 isn't the only one capable of making prints at A2.

Wow this is enlightening... I have a question though, I shot some full body portraits with my D7000, zoomed into the face to do some retouching and felt that 16mpx isn't enough, the model's face looks all pixelated when the image is blown up... My nice soft shadows also become 3 tones, not a smooth gradient anymore... Why is that so :/
If a D2HS can print at such sizes, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Wow this is enlightening... I have a question though, I shot some full body portraits with my D7000, zoomed into the face to do some retouching and felt that 16mpx isn't enough, the model's face looks all pixelated when the image is blown up... My nice soft shadows also become 3 tones, not a smooth gradient anymore... Why is that so :/
how big you intend to print?
if you zoom in more than 100% viewing, any maga MP images will also be pixelated.

FYI without cropping and interpolation. D7000 native file can print a 12"x16" print without any issue. how big you intent to print?

anyway, you can print as big as you want, it is only depends on how far away is your viewing distance.

Depends on the DPI you're printing at and how you up sample the file.

A 20" x 30" at 72 DPI = 20x72 * 30x72 = 3.1MP file.

If you're expecting 150 DPI = 13.5MP and so on. Am not an expert on prints, but I do learn a bit here and there on the DPI stuff.

Last thing I note is that large prints are meant to be admired from a distance of 5m or more. I don't know why people are standing nose close to the print to admire the pixels and acne on the faces.

I'm not sure how pixelated the image looks like for you, are there any samples? I did the prints + cold lamination and I find it's pretty sufficient. In fact I sent in several camera's output. The printer even told me the D2HS file has the best quality (????) compared with others (he did not know it's a 4MP camera).

I apologize if I sounded in any way condescending in my reply, as my reply was meant to be information sharing and not to slam others in any way. If anybody is offended, my apologies.

Last edited:
how big you intend to print?
if you zoom in more than 100% viewing, any maga MP images will also be pixelated.

FYI without cropping and interpolation. D7000 native file can print a 12"x16" print without any issue. how big you intent to print?

anyway, you can print as big as you want, it is only depends on how far away is your viewing distance.

Yes, catchlights has said it all. Standing nose distance away from the print will make any print look pixelated.

Hmm yeah, that's true, I forgot to factor in some cropping and that large prints are meant to be hanged on the wall and viewed from a distance, not millimeters from computer screen. Oh well, next day ill try printing and see the results, and report back. Thanks anyways, I've always had this feeling that 16mpix was never enough for me haha..... Now you guys have proved me wrong xD

Depends on the DPI you're printing at and how you up sample the file.

A 20" x 30" at 72 DPI = 20x72 * 30x72 = 3.1MP file.

If you're expecting 150 DPI = 13.5MP and so on. Am not an expert on prints, but I do learn a bit here and there on the DPI stuff.

Last thing I note is that large prints are meant to be admired from a distance of 5m or more. I don't know why people are standing nose close to the print to admire the pixels and acne on the faces.

I'm not sure how pixelated the image looks like for you, are there any samples? I did the prints + cold lamination and I find it's pretty sufficient. In fact I sent in several camera's output. The printer even told me the D2HS file has the best quality (????) compared with others (he did not know it's a 4MP camera).

I apologize if I sounded in any way condescending in my reply, as my reply was meant to be information sharing and not to slam others in any way. If anybody is offended, my apologies.

I wonder though, does filesize affect resolution? (pardon me I'm noob at prints haha..) I export my raw files (18mb) into jpeg at 250dpi, at max quality end up with an approx, 6.7mb, you were saying that at 150dpi its around 13.5mb files so... I wonder what went wrong here o_O

I wonder though, does filesize affect resolution? (pardon me I'm noob at prints haha..) I export my raw files (18mb) into jpeg at 250dpi, at max quality end up with an approx, 6.7mb, you were saying that at 150dpi its around 13.5mb files so... I wonder what went wrong here o_O
DPI/PPI is meaningless until making prints.

and file size is varied depends on the content of your images, if the images have lots of fine details, very busy, noisy, high sharpen, the file size is much larger than images have lesser details, plain, with soft focus.

catchlights said:
a 32GB memory card can store about a couple hundreds of NEF files, depends you save it in compressed files or non compressed files, so how many memory cards you intend to bring?

are you going to download 50-80GB photos and post process them?

without upsampling, D800 can print a 16"x24" photo easily, how many large photos your customers intend to print?

if you shoot for money, as long your customers pay you well and you think you can justify it, than go ahead by all means.

The exact figure: 32GB is ? RAW files

14-bit: 399
12-bit 517

The exact figure: 32GB is ? RAW files

14-bit: 399
12-bit 517

Thing here is probably all shoots in RAW+JPEG and only processes the JPEG. RAW probably only gets touched if the JPEG is not able to meet the requirements.

So probably <399 shots on a 32GB SD.

The concern here is the storage and processing time, which is what I guess the TS's concern is all about?

A wedding = 1K shots (or more depending on photographer)

That's 32 + 32 + 16 = 80GB of RAWs.

Editing time increases, touch up time increases, capacity increases but ROI = same.

Probably no couples will buy the story that 36MP camera warrants the increase in package price. Since they'll probably also have problems opening up the file at that resolution. And I don't think any sane photographer will hand up 36mp files to their couples.