D800/E or D600

GuessBoy

Oct 16, 2007
Bukit Batok
As the new D600 is infront of our door now.
I'm wondering which one to go for??:think:
My main shooting purposes is for landscape very rare portrait picture.
Which of these two camera would be more appropriate to me? :think::dunno:

Easy. Flip a coin:bsmilie:

Seriously, if you are into pixel peeping go for the D800. I dun like the AUTO mode still so glaringly obvious...:bigeyes:

GuessBoy said:

Landscape? D800E!

Whats your appropriate budget.... and also you have your answer in your post bro.

All are good. Also consider Medium format too. In fact, the best photographers still stick to large format when it comes to landscapes - you can manipulate both the film plane and the lens plane in a large format camera - not possible in a dSLR system.

D800 with:-
- better AF system
- faster sync speed at 1/250
- faster shutter speed at 1/8000
- 36MP

the main different as above.
if you have spare cash and dont mind heavier body go for D800.
if on budget and dont need most or any of the above points then D600.

my 2cts.

I guess dynamic range will be a key factor for u as a landscape shooter. D800 dynamic range is rated #1 on dxomark.

D600 remains to be tested and rated, so it's too early to say.

wow... didn't know to shoot landscapes must have high MP DSLRs... all going pro and printing larger than life poster size already? That's it... even D4 cannot be used for landscapes liao... MP not high enough... :bsmilie:

of course got marnee to afford, D800E! But as it is not an easy beast to handle handheld, best get a good enough tripod.

Last edited:
Why think? Just get both.

As usual,
1. Budget
2. Wait for more info to clarify

Personally, from the official Nikon samples, I like the samples compared to the ones they released for D800/E.
The D800/E was much less forgiving on technique (ie stability) and lens quality (esp edge sharpness).
Of course on the D800/E you can downsample to 24mp to be 'like' the D600. :)

D600 is more of an all-rounder than D800.

Should be more than enough to handle Landscapes... afterall, it's already 24MP (bigger than any of the competing models currently other than D800). But as I've said you don't really need 24MP to shoot landscapes, 12, 14, 16MP models can already do a good enough job.

Personally, I'd prefer an all-rounder and easier to handle model that can shoot everything (shooting habbits changes over time), unless of course landscape and/or studio and/or large format printing is my bread and butter.

Hw bout D700? Though its old bt its more than sufficient i feel...
My 2 cents

Coz TS only has D600 and D800 in his sight... Otherwise, D7K (yes it's a crop) or D700 is more than enough for landscapes. D700 a hell lot more versatile!

Hw bout D700? Though its old bt its more than sufficient i feel...
My 2 cents

Agree D700 is definitely good enough . And you don't need bigger memory card , faster computer etc.

Guess d700 user mostly will stay put or upgrade to d800/E and (IMO) buyer of d600 will be more of dx upgraders

Cause to me the d600 seem to be position between d7000 & d700 .

Just my 2cents

0.3 more EV than a APS-C camera. But so much more expensive. :(

ermm... D800E's only weakness is doing long exposure.

if you do not have the long exposure noise reduction on, you're in for a shock.

anything above 2mins exposure will allow u to see beautiful noise.

however, like i've mentioned, the DR is AMAZING.

If you are serious about landscapes and only landscapes go for a 4 X 5 or 8 x10 film camera. Check out bh photo website. If you are an amateur and want compact 35mm film size any 35m SLR will do - you'll need some wide angles - 24mm or 20mm - try an old Leica R4 with matching Leica R lenses. Get a half decent scanner like the Epson 700.