D800 / E battery life

ferlyn

Jul 3, 2011
May I know what is the shutter count per charge for the D800/E ? for my case my D800 only can list for 300 to 400 per charge with 16-35F4 and vr turn on...

Sorry Pal, this battery thing have been discussed many many time since the DSLR era...from D100 to D300s, from D1 to now D800...
Make a search...you will find something...hopes able to clear your doubt.

My d800 can handle 700-800 shots, using AF-S mode, no liveview, 2 sec lcd preview, prime lenses without vr.

Dfive said:
you get this many shots ? thought was far less on D800 ?

Yes, you can get this much if you're a fast shooter. Fast shooter here does not means shoot like machine gun with Bracketing...
If you focus and refocus and refocus...you can't even attained 300...battery low aldy...

Sorry Pal, this battery thing have been discussed many many time since the DSLR era...from D100 to D300s, from D1 to now D800...
Make a search...you will find something...hopes able to clear your doubt.
my D700 dont behave like this, so you cant compare other model. On D700 I can easily get more than 800 but only 300-400 on D800..

My d800 can handle 700-800 shots, using AF-S mode, no liveview, 2 sec lcd preview, prime lenses without vr.

i guess the problem lies with my VR lens .... as i am going to cold country which will reduce more battery life. i should get a third battery to be safe side haiz....

any shop selling cheaper En-EL15 battery ? I thought Alan Photo offer cheaper but they quote me $65

The D800 itself have more function can play with.

Shots with 36mp RAW and buffering also take more battery power.

HDR have to waiting longer exposure.

Shots with video and playback, have been used much more power also.

Live view mode also need used more batt life.

For the D700 only offered with live view and playback preview.

No big Raw and no video mode.

BTW just buy extra battery and changed it full for keep as standby.

All of above nothing can be compared.

Last edited:
my D700 dont behave like this, so you cant compare other model. On D700 I can easily get more than 800 but only 300-400 on D800..

Quite disappointing really... reminds me of the D100 or D200.... Nikons well priced D800 goes a little crazy priced when you must carry 3 perhaps 4 batteries for a days shooting or travel.

The D800 itself have more function can play with.

Shots with 36mp RAW and buffering also take more battery power.

HDR have to waiting longer exposure.

Shots with video and playback, have used more power.

Live view mode need spend much more bigger LCD screen.

Any function can be burning more power.

For the D700 only offered with live view and playback preview.

No big Raw and not video mode.

BTW just buy extra battery and changed it full for keep as standby.

All of above nothing can be compared.
I agree with you D800 might need more power for 36mp processing and but for my case my usage same as when i use D700... I only shoot RAW and preview less than 10 time try to preserve the batt but unfortunately it still drain the battery much more faster than D700...

I am already using two battery... thinking to get another extra batt.

ferlyn said:
I agree with you D800 might need more power for 36mp processing and but for my case my usage same as when i use D700... I only shoot RAW and preview less than 10 time try to preserve the batt but unfortunately it still drain the battery much more faster than D700...

If you really felt the battery power not enough and maybe can consider add in battery grip with D4 batt.

May i know, what you shots for one day can be flat the batt life.

Studio or walkabout ?

Last edited:
um, i shot a wedding this past weekend, saturday AD and sunday dinner. went through 900 shots, with about 55% life to spare.

i shot raw with the older AF-D prime lenses.

ferlyn said:

Did you check with NSC? Yours seems quite extreme.
My old D200 thou a battery sucker...I still can managed 400-500 shots...

um, i shot a wedding this past weekend, saturday AD and sunday dinner. went through 900 shots, with about 55% life to spare.

i shot raw with the older AF-D prime lenses.

just want to add on, i shoot RAW and also have a very decent mileage with my batteries.

1 event i shot around 800+ fotos and battery has around 50% left, with the usual chimping.

I am also using D lenses without AFS nor VR. :D

I also have no problem getting 700+ shots per charge. Using afs lens. No video. Occasional live view.

Last edited:
Dfive said:
you get this many shots ? thought was far less on D800 ?

Yes I do achieve that quite consistently... coming close to 8k.

Btw I realized that keeping the metering on full-time takes up a lot of juice. The default setting is 6 sec auto off, so try not to change it.

couple of things to potentially consider, regarding battery life

- takes a few charge and discharge cycles to reach the optimal battery life. i did not get 650 odd shots initially, but now its easily 1100-1400+ per charge
- my metering is set to 4s and then auto off, mostly because that's what works for me, mostly shoot manual for constant lighting stuff.
- i'm also a little bit old school, so no auto review, hardly any chimping, virtually no live view usage, especially when covering a wedding...
- i would expect AF-S lenses to be more efficient, because you don't use the built in motor to drive the lens elements. but not sure.
- no VR stuff also means no drain in either mode 1 or mode 2 when snapping pictures.

hopefully it helps! i bought an extra battery, but its been charged and not used at all since i got it!

My D800 gets 800-1100 shots for a single charge. 24-70 with AF-S one point focus. Shooting in 12-bit Raw lossless compression.

last week managed to get 1700 shots on a single EN-EL15, shot with tamron 90mm macro / sigma 85 1.4 on AF-S mode, JPEG + RAW (Lossless compression).