D800 @ a super cheap price. Reliable?

jansen81

Aug 31, 2010
Singapore, Tampines
Hi all,

Recently, i have came across some ads in gumtree stating D800 selling @ a super cheap price.

Nikon D800 36.3 MP Digital SLR Camera - Boxed NEW - Singapore TV, camera, audio, music - Gumtree Singapore

I have contacted the supplier. However, they would want me to transfer the money to their bank account before they can ship the item over. They won't accept COD.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with the arrangement. I am wondering did anyone has any experience before? And how would you react to this kind of deal?

Hi all,

Recently, i have came across some ads in gumtree stating D800 selling @ a super cheap price.

Nikon D800 36.3 MP Digital SLR Camera - Boxed NEW - Singapore TV, camera, audio, music - Gumtree Singapore

I have contacted the supplier. However, they would want me to transfer the money to their bank account before they can ship the item over. They won't accept COD.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with the arrangement. I am wondering did anyone has any experience before? And how would you react to this kind of deal?

LOL if it's too good to be true.... Do you *really* think a new D800 would be that cheap?

Sounds like classic Nigerian scammers.

Your alarm bells should be ringing by now dude. They probably are but you probably wanted someone else to tell you not to. Dont. Dont let greediness tempt you otherwise.

you have not hear about scams like these before meh?

maybe we are too hard-working liao, sitting in front of computer all day long, catching all the scam bags in CS, that is why some people got no chance to see how these bogus sellers look like.

you can try lar, send your money there and see lor, maybe you don't even receive a empty box at the end of the day.

Can you transfer the money over to this dealer and let us know the outcome?

• the brand new Nikon D800 is sent to you at this price; or

• we all learn at your expense.

(edit)

Last edited:
It's clearly a bait for the gullible.

There is one born every minute...

Wait!! before you buy.. I have one at $1899 :bigeyes: PM me ASAP :bsmilie:

Ok guys.. have some mercy.. he is gullible. not greedy.. maybe :dunno:

Wait!! before you buy.. I have one at $1899 :bigeyes: PM me ASAP :bsmilie:

Ok guys.. have some mercy.. he is gullible. not greedy.. maybe :dunno:

oh cmon why do you need to be so mean in your comment? I am just asking a question. is not as if I am buying. I am seeking for opinion on how you all look at this. I wouldn't mind if it is COD. If it is bank transfer, I wouldn't be so stupid to transfer such an amount not even looking at the good which I am purchasing.

Please. If you do not have any constructive opinion. You do not need to comment.

Simply just naive

Who are you to judge me for being naive? For a question I am asking? I already said I am not comfortable with the arrangement. Be it a discussion topic or a message to warn other of a scam possibility. I am just asking for opinion.

Offers something really good at really good price..
But.

You must Send money over first..

How many times had this trick been used..and still..everytime..every year..so many people still got tricked.

If its too good to be true..it probably yes.

Instead. Work hard. Save hard. Look around harder (at the right/legit channel at least) or in a real shop. Now that is 100% satisfaction and 95% safer. :bsmilie:

Who are you to judge me for being naive? For a question I am asking? I already said I am not comfortable with the arrangement. Be it a discussion topic or a message to warn other of a scam possibility. I am just asking for opinion.

Yes, and the opinion is that you are naïve. After all, people who are not naïve won't even feel "uncomfortable", they would straight out ignore the ad.

Or start pranking the scammers.

Yes, and the opinion is that you are naïve. After all, people who are not naïve won't even feel "uncomfortable", they would straight out ignore the ad.

Or start pranking the scammers.

Too lazy to prank them... I'll just laugh and move on... and TS, calling you Naive is the least serious word that comes to mind. You may not have fallen for the scam... good for you... but needing to come here to ask/confirm if it's a Scam... :bsmilie:

oh cmon why do you need to be so mean in your comment? I am just asking a question. is not as if I am buying. I am seeking for opinion on how you all look at this. I wouldn't mind if it is COD. If it is bank transfer, I wouldn't be so stupid to transfer such an amount not even looking at the good which I am purchasing.

Please. If you do not have any constructive opinion. You do not need to comment.

When you buy from B&H, Adorama, Amazon or from whatever online stores, you need payment in FULL upfront, they don't allow COD, and you only look at the picture of the same product on your monitor screen at most.

so if you prefer to touch and feel the item before you make payment, please go to any brick and mortar camera stores listed here.

Audio House
Alan Photo, #02-07 Funan The IT Mall | 6883-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square | 6336-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
BargainCity.com.sg
Cathay Photo, #01-11, 14 Peninsula Plaza (Main) | 6337-4274 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) | 6338-7783 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) | 6338-0451 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square | 6339-6188 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
Harvey Norman (various)
Iphoto (formally known as Lord's Camera) 304 Orchard Road, #01-79, Lucky Plaza, Singapore 238863 | 6235 4248 | 6235 4605 | iphoto78@yahoo.com.sg
John 3:16, #05-37 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6337-2877 | 6337-1897 | j316ps@gmail.com
MS Color (Main), 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C | 6457-6380 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
MS Color (AMK Hub), 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #02-24 | 6452-2828 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
Orient Photo, #06-31 | 53 Sim Lim Square | 6339-1035 | sales@orientfoto.com.sg
Parisilk (North), 7 Transit Road | 6452-1593
Parisilk (Central), 15A Lorong Liput | 6466-6002
Parisilk (East), Blk 214 #01-179 Bedok Central | 6441-6066
SLR Revolution, #05-K7 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6336-8767 | slr.revo@gmail.com
The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street #01-31 | 6336-1956 6336-7808 | tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
T.K. Foto Technic, #02-14 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6292-4533 | sales@tkfoto.com.sg | Welcome to T K FOTO - Home

Sometimes we should let the person make the mistake and learn... after all it's a cheap lesson compared to more painful ones...
Common sense and caveat emptor..

Hi all,

Check the many threads on this subject under the sub-forum Consumers Corner and you realise that scamming is common.

Consumers Corner