D80: Sometimes cannot focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umeiko

Apr 27, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I just got my first DSLR - D80.

For quite a number of occassions, I had problem taking pictures as the shutter release buttons could not be pressed. In the viewfinder, I can see the dot blinking and "F--".

Will be glad if someone can enlighten me. :confused:

"F--" refers to:
1. Non-CPU lens attached
2. No lens attached

I assume that you have a lens attached right? Care to share what the lens is?

Try switching shooting mode to "M".

Also, if you are using a CPU lens, make sure F-stop (aperture ring on the lens) is at the highest number.

"F--" refers to:
1. Non-CPU lens attached
2. No lens attached

I assume that you have a lens attached right? Care to share what the lens is?

Try switching shooting mode to "M".

Also, if you are using a CPU lens, make sure F-stop (aperture ring on the lens) is at the highest number.

Yes, I checked the manual and knew that these two are not applicable. I am using the kit lens. I did try to vary the aperture ring to rectify the problem.

By the way, can tell me more about the aperture ring? I know it is used for manual focus. But what is the impact of adjusting the ring will have on the camera?

Thanks for your time!!

Yes, I checked the manual and knew that these two are not applicable. I am using the kit lens. I did try to vary the aperture ring to rectify the problem.

By the way, can tell me more about the aperture ring? I know it is used for manual focus. But what is the impact of adjusting the ring will have on the camera?

Thanks for your time!!

I have D80 too. is it the 18-135mm? this kit lens has no aperture ring.

which lens are you refering too? I have a 85mm/1.4 with aperture ring, you can't take pictures if you move the ring.

Try other lens and see if got same prob. It could be that the camera connection or processor has short circuited.

iF not then it's the lens prob, try on other cameras and test.

Apologies in advance if I doubted you, but please confirm that you have locked the lens in place. (turn to the lmit and you should hear a click that signifies a lock).

This can also give rise to the symptoms that you described.

i too am facing the same F-- problem after my camera got knock into by someone while i was walking in town , i reckon its either the lens or camera connection area that has suffered the damaged, if u jus try to adjust the lens with a little twitch everything goes back to normal ... think have to try it with another lens to see whether its the lens prob or camera's

Cheers

i too am facing the same F-- problem after my camera got knock into by someone while i was walking in town , i reckon its either the lens or camera connection area that has suffered the damaged, if u jus try to adjust the lens with a little twitch everything goes back to normal ... think have to try it with another lens to see whether its the lens prob or camera's

Cheers

Dude, check with your vendors...lens maybe have problem. Try change to another similar lens see if is the same... Got a friend who has this problem and have do the exchange...

When using a digital body, LOCK the aperture ring to f/22 and LEAVE IT THERE. Don't play with it. Aperture is controlled electronically through the control dials on the body. Putting the lens' aperture ring to any other position other than f/22 (or the largest f-stop number) will give you what you got - aperture error. I'm surprised no one mentioned/realised TS played with aperture ring.

Alternatively, ensure that your lens is turned all the way so it's secure.

Thanks for your time!!

The impact of adjusting it is you'll get "f--". You only use the aperture ring when aperture is not controlled electronically from the camera body.

And how come your kit lens has an aperture ring?

I have the exact same problem with my D80 kit lens and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I believe the issue is with 18-135mm kit lens which is made worse by improper carrying methods (erm..like in my case) or if it suffers a knock as in Shutterwerkz's case. I normally just twist out and twist in again for it to right itself. This doesn't happen all the time, perhaps about 20% of the time only so I wonder if it's a big deal or not.
I've used a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and the 70-200mm f/4.5-5.6G on the D80 body and I do not get this "F--" indicator at all. I bought my D80 kit at the IT Fair. The receipt indicates that the supplier is from Alan Photo. If I bring my receipt down to Alan Photo, will I be able to make an exchange. My fear is that when I'm trying to show the sales person the problem, it will not reveal itself and I will end up looking as though I'm trying to pull a fast one!

The impact of adjusting it is you'll get "f--". You only use the aperture ring when aperture is not controlled electronically from the camera body.

And how come your kit lens has an aperture ring?

The aperture ring error indicator is fEE not f--. f-- indicates problem of the body communicating with the lens. Its probably the lens is not mounted correctly or the lens/body connection is faulty.

BC

Thanks for your time!!

I don't quite understand you. The kit lens does not have aperture ring.

Aperture rings on the lenses are not used at all on the D80, just keep it lock at the minimum setting. The aperture is controlled via the dial on the body.

If you are twisting something on the lens and the "F--" problem went away, you may have connection problem between the lens and body. The twisting may have re-connected the contacts. If this is happening frequently, I guess you'd better have your lens and body checked by NSC.

BC

Hi Everyone,

I just got my first DSLR - D80.

For quite a number of occassions, I had problem taking pictures as the shutter release buttons could not be pressed. In the viewfinder, I can see the dot blinking and "F--".

Will be glad if someone can enlighten me. :confused:

Can you post a closeup of the lens mount? The last time, we encountered this problem, the user seemed to have a bent aperture lever. As the camera uses the lever to adjust the aperture accordingly, this may be the reason why it's reflecting a F-- error.

I have the exact same problem with my D80 kit lens and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I believe the issue is with 18-135mm kit lens which is made worse by improper carrying methods (erm..like in my case) or if it suffers a knock as in Shutterwerkz's case. I normally just twist out and twist in again for it to right itself. This doesn't happen all the time, perhaps about 20% of the time only so I wonder if it's a big deal or not.
I've used a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and the 70-200mm f/4.5-5.6G on the D80 body and I do not get this "F--" indicator at all. I bought my D80 kit at the IT Fair. The receipt indicates that the supplier is from Alan Photo. If I bring my receipt down to Alan Photo, will I be able to make an exchange. My fear is that when I'm trying to show the sales person the problem, it will not reveal itself and I will end up looking as though I'm trying to pull a fast one!

Most shops only have a 1 week 1 to 1 exhange policy. So even if you can reproduce the problem at the shop they'll probably ask you to go to NSC anyway since the IT fair was 1-2 months ago?

The lens is giving problems...sure.
Go down and see AP, no harm doing that. That is what warrantee are for...

Thanks for your time!!

that's not the aperture ring you are talking about. like what everyone said, D80 kit lens does not have aperture ring. for manual focus, that is the manual focus "ring" not sure what is the exact term..during auto focus the camera will do the focusing for you, and if you switch to manual focus, you have to focus yourself right?that ring is what you use to do the focusing manually, to move the internal components in the lens to get into focus.

Can you post a closeup of the lens mount? The last time, we encountered this problem, the user seemed to have a bent aperture lever. As the camera uses the lever to adjust the aperture accordingly, this may be the reason why it's reflecting a F-- error.

No lah.. not likely.. Most probably an electronic communication error between the lens and the body...

I guess the ring, I thought is an aperture ring, should be the focus ring. So paiseh, first time user, so not very familiar with the terms yet.

My sentiment was also that there is something wrong with the contact. Felt so frustrating when I was trying to shoot something and couldn't do it when the error message appeared.

I will bring down to the shop to check. Bought it only about a week ago.

I am so grateful for the responses. Thanks everyone!!

dont worry too much abt all the ring ring talk.. i guess your lense doesnt have good contact with the body.

with poor contact, you will see the picture on the left.
with good contact, but aperture not set to max on prime lenses, you see the fEE on the right

36a255d5.jpg

get your kitlense checked a little or perhaps the contact etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.