D80 or 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

pommie

Jan 2, 2007
I know there is a lot of comparison between the 400D & D80, but i'm still undecided and need to purchase one this weekend.
It will be my 1st DSLR so & i have no othe lens or accessories.

The D80 attracts me becuase of the 135mm lens Vs the canon kit lens which ain much good.
Question is could I or should I get the canon body and use the extra cash for a decent walk about lens or go with the D80?

I heard the 400D interface is better for newbies too.

Cheers

I know there is a lot of comparison between the 400D & D80, but i'm still undecided and need to purchase one this weekend.
It will be my 1st DSLR so & i have no othe lens or accessories.

The D80 attracts me becuase of the 135mm lens Vs the canon kit lens which ain much good.
Question is could I or should I get the canon body and use the extra cash for a decent walk about lens or go with the D80?

I heard the 400D interface is better for newbies too.

Cheers
you seems like you have not touch any of them yet... best is go down shop and decide.

end of story~

you seems like you have not touch any of them yet... best is go down shop and decide.

end of story~

My reply exacly! :thumbsup:

Well Well, the moment you touch a Nikon and Feel it you are going to be swayed to the Darkside. That is how I fell for it, I have no regrets though....

Cheers
tat why the price is also "better"
best is go down feel both/play both model and decide

Thanks for the replies and yes Ive not yet had a touch or feel, however if both felt equally comfortable in my hand, could I or should I get the canon body and use the extra cash for a decent walk about lens or go with the D80?

Thanks for the replies and yes Ive not yet had a touch or feel, however if both felt equally comfortable in my hand, could I or should I get the canon body and use the extra cash for a decent walk about lens or go with the D80?

Check out the specs for each camera, know what you want and need, then decide. Once, bought, dun think so much already, shoot more and enjoy the beginning of your photographic journey.

D80
400D

Got you a side-by-side comparasion table to ease your decision :

Got the same problem as you few weeks back. Ended up with 400D. The longer range of the D80 is really enticing but I find it (body) too big and heavy for me.

When I want DSLR shopping, I did NOT focus on the brand. I tested this:

1. How comfortable does it feel in my hand? Could I hold it for long periods of time without my hand aching?

2. How intuitive do I find the controls? How quickly can i set the settings I want to change?

3. How does it feel/focus/handle when shooting?

I took a look at the 350D, the 400D, the D40, D80, D200 and Sony A100.

350D: The 350D felt ok, but the grip was a bit small for my hand and it just felt "plasticky". I was definitely not impressed by the focusing speed of the kit lens, though higher-end lenses focus very fast.

400D: The 400D's grip was awful! Smaller and narrower than the 350D, I had to "claw" my fingers just to hold it. Focusing was better than the 350D.

D40: At first i thought they handed me a fake plastic mock-up. It just feels like a toy! The kit lens build quality is poor... But the grip was much better than the canon, and the focusing was crisp. However, you need to buy the expensive AF-S lenses to get autofocus. :(

D80: Comfortable grip, good performance, though I wasn't quite happy about a lot of the buttons being up behind the shutter release.

D200: A lot like the D80, though the grip was a *little* less comfy. Still miles ahead of Canon, which feels like it was designed for a 10-year-old. Felt quite nice, and the features are rock-solid!

Sony A100: Grip feels like it was made for my hand. Perfect. It has a decent weight, build quality is good, and the mode-dial is very handy. Best part: Vibration reduction is built into the body. No need to pay extra for high-end VR/IS lenses.

So I got the Sony in the end, mainly because it feels soooooo comfy to use. I like the Canon ISO sensitivity, but what good is that if I'm not happy when I pick up the cam?

The D80 would have been my purchase if I hadn't walked into the Sony shop to test the A100.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, honestly. I'm just trying to show you that you should not rely on reviews or opinions online for a DSLR investment; I illustrated to you how I bought my DSLR.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. I guess I'll make my decision this Saturday.
Is Alan Photo or Cathay still the best shops to visit?

Cheers

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. I guess I'll make my decision this Saturday.

Cheers

Err.....neither?

OK, so where do you recommend?

Try them both but if you have normal or large hands you will hate the canon as its grip is ludicrous. The Nikons lens is also superior, as is the flash system. BTW I am a heavy canon user for 20 years, but have been very impressed with Nikons over the last year

If u feel uncomfortable with the grip of the 350D or 400D one option is to consider adding a vertical grip. I think the cost is still comparable or cheaper than the D80 after getting the grip. Also better ergo to shoot in portrait mode and longer lasting battery life (x2). And you have the option to detach it if you feel like travelling light e.g. going for a trip.

:)

they have good reputation
so far cathay hasn't disappointed me yet

but anw, you might consider getting dslr second-hand =D
savings

Status
Not open for further replies.