D750 different card capacity

tnemih

Mar 31, 2019
Hello!

I am currently using two d750s (1 as my backup). I realized that when i was using the same memory card (32gb), both my d750s were showing different maximum number of shots available via the top lcd screen.

One had a maximum read of about 770 shots, and another had about 560 shots only.

Both were shooting at RAW mode only.

Does anyone know what is contributing to the different number of maximum shots?

P.S i formatted my card to make sure there weren't any pictures inside before taking the read on the lcd screen.

Thanks!

Quick question: if you swap the cards over, does each respective cards still show the same number of shots remaining?
Ie. does the 770 shot card show 770 shots regardless of which camera it’s inserted in and does the 560 shot card also show the same regardless of which camera it’s in.
I’m just trying to figure out if it’s s camera setting issue or a card issue.

Reactions: Octarine
Hey! Thanks for reaching out!

I am using the same SD card across the two D750s.

So on my first D750, it shows 770 shots. When I switched the same SD card to the other D750, it shows 560 shots.

This is without me taking any shots. The SD card has been formatted and has no pictures inside it.

Both my D750s are also shooting in RAW only

Hey! Thanks for reaching out!

I am using the same SD card across the two D750s.

So on my first D750, it shows 770 shots. When I switched the same SD card to the other D750, it shows 560 shots.

This is without me taking any shots. The SD card has been formatted and has no pictures inside it.
That’s indeed strange.
Do you have a second SD card that you can try out?
If so, does it also show two very different no. shots left when you use it on each D750’s?

Off the top of my head, also take a look at your dual card slot settings. As in whether you have set different card slots for different things. Maybe one of the card slots is actually accidentally set to RAW + jpeg instead of RAW only?

I just tried using a brand new 32gb sd card.
The difference in max number of shots still exists.

Double checked on the file format as well - both are shooting at RAW only. no JPEGs included :(

Also, I realized that if i were to shoot in JPEGs (Fine, Normal or Basic), both cameras return the same number of maximum shots (1.3k, 2.7k and 5.2k max shots respectively).

It's only when I try to shoot in RAW that i notice the difference.

So this difference would thus apply to any RAW + JPEG combination as well.

Sounds like your memory cards are fine and it’s a camera setting issue.
Check the compression levels on your RAW settings.
Nikon offers a number of different compression levels eg. lossless compressed vs compressed and 12bit vs 14bit

AHH THANKS!

I managed to change it from 12bit to 14bit and the max number of shots now drops to 560ish, which is the same as my other D750 (I guess my other D750 would be in 14bit as well)

Now the more pertinent question - should I shoot in 12 bit or 14bit? Will be doing mostly landscapes :)

Thanks once again for the help rendered!

This is a bit tricky. Technically you may see a difference but in practice, probably not.
See this article:
https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw
Results may vary depending on camera model though so use it as a guide.
If you have storage to burn and a bit kiasu, use 14bit.
If you wanna be practical 12 bit will be fine in most situations.

Not forgetting: JPG is an image format using only 8 bit per color. (That's why in this setting the capacity shown in both cameras is the same.)
Unless your output requires the accuracy of 14 bit data you can safely use 12 bits and be done.

Not forgetting: JPG is an image format using only 8 bit per color. (That's why in this setting the capacity shown in both cameras is the same.)
Unless your output requires the accuracy of 14 bit data you can safely use 12 bits and be done.

Hmmm I've read various sources citing the differences between the 2 bit depth, but may not be so obvious, as pointed out by swifty.
Guess I'll just be kiasu and shoot at 14bi for now, and change it to 12bit if im running out of storage :)