D7100 or D600

kensou

Jan 24, 2011
SBW
Hi guys, I am considering the fact that D7100 have alot nice features that can be comparable or better than D600, but I am not sure if its better to move up to FF setup or stay APS-C

Anyone can give general guide on how should I decide? I am considering FF because I pretty much like landscape shooting, and no matter what I think FF should be better.

Hi guys, I am considering the fact that D7100 have alot nice features that can be comparable or better than D600, but I am not sure if its better to move up to FF setup or stay APS-C

Anyone can give general guide on how should I decide? I am considering FF because I pretty much like landscape shooting, and no matter what I think FF should be better.

If you are unable to decide for yourself, don't buy.

But then again, you answered your own question. If you think "no matter what" full frame should be better, then just buy full frame. If you get aps-c, even if the lenses are cheaper, the image quality might even be better, you yourself will never be happy

Goodness me. Every time when there is a new camera. Many of these kind of thread will come out.

Just buy what you need or can afford lo.
End of the day as long you're happy. . Nobody can decide for you because you are the 1 using it. And you should'nt buy anything base on what other people says also. Help yourself.

Buy the D600 if you have the cash and the time (to send it to Nikon for sensor cleaning or to DIY)

Buy the D7100 if you can afford to wait for it to appear on the shelves.

If you are using it for landscape, and comparing both cameras at base ISO, you are getting about 1 - 1.5 more stops of dynamic range on the D600.

remember:

when you go to FF, your lenses must have certain level of quality. any flaws in a lens would be obvious on a FF camera. quality lens=$$$$$
so other than having the money to get a FF body, do you have enough budget to get quality glass?

remember:

when you go to FF, your lenses must have certain level of quality. any flaws in a lens would be obvious on a FF camera. quality lens=$$$$$
so other than having the money to get a FF body, do you have enough budget to get quality glass?
Also like any other products.

The higher the item..the higher is its maintenance fees.

Thks all for ur kind feedback, much appreciated:):)

Actually... if you look at it this way... the spec of the D7100 is aimed more for wildlife and sports photography, not saying that you must use D7100 for sports photography though.

So if you are more of a landscape photographer and you have more or less make up your mind that FF will be better for landscape as compared to APS-C, then you should really consider D600... or even D800/E. Don't forget, getting a new camera body is part of the equation, do look into investing into a good piece of glass too. Or you would not get the most out of your FF and you will end up wondering why your photo all look the same even with a more expensive and supposingly better body.

RhysCheng said:
remember:

With a 24MP DX sensor, and devoid of a AA filter, I think the Nikon D7100 will need a lot of quality glass too... Not that you cannot use simpler or cheaper lenses. Just that I think the modern DX sensor is really demanding and can easily expose the flaw of the lesser lenses. Of course, I have not handled the D7100 yet. For that matter, any of the 24MP DX cameras. So I can be wrong... Will confirm this soon though.

Actually... if you look at it this way... the spec of the D7100 is aimed more for wildlife and sports photography, not saying that you must use D7100 for sports photography though.

So if you are more of a landscape photographer and you have more or less make up your mind that FF will be better for landscape as compared to APS-C, then you should really consider D600... or even D800/E. Don't forget, getting a new camera body is part of the equation, do look into investing into a good piece of glass too. Or you would not get the most out of your FF and you will end up wondering why your photo all look the same even with a more expensive and supposingly better body.

actually I agree with you, but after I read the thread on D7100 Hands on Preview, there is alot of comparison on this two camera, on whether to stay APS-C or step up to FF. I felt that I should stay APS-C afterall. Because if I should step up to FF, I should be stepping up to 5dm3. Anyway I am saying the concept of Full Frame cameras should be better than APS-C camera. Just saying I have such a thinking.

actually I agree with you, but after I read the thread on D7100 Hands on Preview, there is alot of comparison on this two camera, on whether to stay APS-C or step up to FF. I felt that I should stay APS-C afterall. Because if I should step up to FF, I should be stepping up to 5dm3. Anyway I am saying the concept of Full Frame cameras should be better than APS-C camera. Just saying I have such a thinking.
Why should you "step up" from a Nikon APS-C to a Canon FF? And what concept are you talking about? Each camera and sensor type has its purpose. Define your needs first, then select the tool. Just running after FF looks a bit short sighted.

Wait for D7200 and D610.

Go sleep n wait for D7100 reviews first lah.

Who knows It may have problems of dust, oil and focus issues all together..lol

nikon's FF pro IQ lenses are pretty expensive which is right now I am suffering from a severe hunger due to almost neglecting the basic human needs. However, this is a part of saving process so it is normal for an average gearhead like me.

these APS-C and FF are now almost the same these days, so you are only paying for the sensor size with a little +1 or +2 benefits of FF.

if you can afford the expensiveness of nikon which I assume you are.... then go for FF...

Why should you "step up" from a Nikon APS-C to a Canon FF? And what concept are you talking about? Each camera and sensor type has its purpose. Define your needs first, then select the tool. Just running after FF looks a bit short sighted.

cause I prefer 5dm3 over D800, if I were to upgrade to full frame.. Anyways just a common misunderstanding on my part that Full frame should be better than APS-C camera because they are much more expensive.. common misunderstanding (expensive = good). I wasn't trying to mean any other thing here, just price.

nikon's FF pro IQ lenses are pretty expensive which is right now I am suffering from a severe hunger due to almost neglecting the basic human needs. However, this is a part of saving process so it is normal for an average gearhead like me.

these APS-C and FF are now almost the same these days, so you are only paying for the sensor size with a little +1 or +2 benefits of FF.

if you can afford the expensiveness of nikon which I assume you are.... then go for FF...

Thats another fun part about it.. working hard to get the expensive lens.. usually will treasure it more.. hahaha

Go sleep n wait for D7100 reviews first lah.

Who knows It may have problems of dust, oil and focus issues all together..lol

unless it is hardware fault, I don't see that dust/oil as too much a problem just a hassle.. well focus issues will be pretty bad issue thou.. haha

FF cameras are better than APS-C cameras in many ways........ and vice versa. However, these "goodness" will not mean anything to you if you don't understand what you are buying into. From the questions you have been asking, I'd suggest you stick to what you have for a little while longer. They are more than capable for producing good landscape work.