D70S Vertical Grip - Harbortronics or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merkava74

Dec 25, 2005
home
Hi, I'm seeking some advice on vertical grips for D70S, read a few threads and surfed a few sites.

Seem to conclude that Harbortronics VG-D70 has the most compatible grip?

Anyone here is using it would like to comment?

What about the Jenis JND70S? Didn't really like the fit onto the body based on the pictures I've seen. The harbortronics one seem to have a better fit, and even overlaps at some parts.

Comments welcome please!

merkava74 said:
Hi, I'm seeking some advice on vertical grips for D70S, read a few threads and surfed a few sites.

Seem to conclude that Harbortronics VG-D70 has the most compatible grip?

Anyone here is using it would like to comment?

What about the Jenis JND70S? Didn't really like the fit onto the body based on the pictures I've seen. The harbortronics one seem to have a better fit, and even overlaps at some parts.

Comments welcome please!

Yes, i am also very interested in this, just to add, does anyone know of a model that allows the half press shutter button for d70s? i know the the Jenis model doesnt allow this. Also where to buy in singapore except CS?

wildstallion said:
Yes, i am also very interested in this, just to add, does anyone know of a model that allows the half press shutter button for d70s? i know the the Jenis model doesnt allow this. Also where to buy in singapore except CS?

I did read about the half press shutter batt grip for D70s using the remote cable point
but don't know where liao..
Waitting for that type of grip to launch.. hopefully..:cool:

Get D200 for a fully functional grip.
D70/s doesn't require and e grip and wasn't meant to come out 1.
don't waste $$ on it. :)

wildstallion said:

the last i heard, half-press grips using the remote cable socket on the D70S were supposed to be released in december 2005. i was on the mailing list but have not heard anything from my contact at www.hoodmanusa.com . the grips they sell are similar/identical to jenis, so if there is going to be such a half-press grip, chances are jenis will have them too.

harbortronics grip is already half-press compatible with the extra cable you can buy from them. i just feel its a bit too much to pay (USD70) for a simple cable, considering that the nikon remote shutter is only SGD30! but i've been told the harbortronics grip is superior in build and reliability to the jenis one.

jnet6 said:

judging from the responses to the MOs conducted for D70/s grips, i would say the demand is pretty high for it. i'm not whining about the lack of a nikon grip from nikon because i knew there wasn't one when i bought my D70. but i don't think it would be waste of money to get a 3rd party one - although i'm still waiting for the right one to come along! :)

im currently using the Jenis grip. bought it knowing that i can't use half press and this has never been an issue for me since.

although there is no half press, i feel that the cam is now more balanced. on top of that, the grip allows me to hold the cam more comfortably since my hand can now hold on to a wider area when taking shots.

however i can't advise which 3rd party grip is better since i only used the one made by Jenis. maybe you can try from other CS members or try them at shops if they are available locally.

cheers!

jnet6 said:

Wei...... D200 cost more more more lehz

Can I get the Harbortronics locally, or thru wesite mail order?

merkava74 said:
Can I get the Harbortronics locally, or thru wesite mail order?
Check B/S forums.

I personally don't like 3rd party vertical grip. To much problems.

Regards,
Arto.

numzkull said:
im currently using the Jenis grip. bought it knowing that i can't use half press and this has never been an issue for me since.

although there is no half press, i feel that the cam is now more balanced. on top of that, the grip allows me to hold the cam more comfortably since my hand can now hold on to a wider area when taking shots.

however i can't advise which 3rd party grip is better since i only used the one made by Jenis. maybe you can try from other CS members or try them at shops if they are available locally.

cheers!

hi numzkull... so far any problem with the vg after buying it?

thanks for the tip in B/S. But I would prefer to buy this brand new. Anyone know of any local shops that stock Harbortronics (not jenis)?

By the way, OT a bit, I just posted some photos I took with my new D70s. Would love some comments! Thanks.

http://www.pbase.com/merkava74

just wondering why d70 is such a popular cam but no grip... think they'll make a gd profit and sales if they come out one for d70. dont noe what is their strategy for not coming out with a grip.:dunno:

damienster said:
just wondering why d70 is such a popular cam but no grip... think they'll make a gd profit and sales if they come out one for d70. dont noe what is their strategy for not coming out with a grip.:dunno:
do a search...
been discuse over since D70 is out 2 yrs ago... :)

damienster said:

THey can't build a VG with half press for the D70 without modifying the camera body......D70 uses a remote shutter instead of a wired shutter.

So it is ZERO chance for a VG with half press for D70 ...... unless you want to put your camera body under the knife.

helfizad said:

no problem so far. just be aware that there's not half press for the grip's shutter. this doesn't affect me since i feel that the balance is more important than the half press...... at least till i get a D200 ;)

helfizad said:

hi helfizad , seems like da new batch of jenis grip from da guy called Jenis or adolph works fine . no prob so far .

Status
Not open for further replies.