D70s U/W housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nikon 60mm macro and Sigma 10-20mm, can the Sigma lens go into the housing.

Just a comment, it's actually not that straight forward to switch from a wide angle set up to macro and vice versa with a single set of housing;

>rinse and dry housing
>removal of port
>switching of lens
>for certain housings and certain lenses, also invloves removing the back hatch to insert the zoom gear
>sealing back housing/ port
>reassembling strobe arms, short length for macro, long arms for WA
>for assurance, soak setup in tub to check for water tightness

Sometimes it is too stressful to do all this during the surface interval, also to rush through setting up, chances of making a mistake that leads to flooding is high.

It is recommended to set up either macro or WA and then just stick to it for the rest of the day.

It would be even more appropriate to have 2 set ups one for macro and one for WA as photosmart pointed out. If budget constraints, the WA could be a simpler set up using a prosumer cam with its dedicated housing.

Well..for me I usually do some research abt the dive destinations I am going. For example, Bunaken will be primarily wall dives...so WA will do best, Lembeh all critters...so Macro. If needed, I will find out from the DMs on the sites we will be going beforehand. Like what is the highlight of the sites, type of dive (wall, drift, muck,etc) and marine life to see.

As I dun have the luxury and budget of having 2 camera setup, I often interchange WA and Macro lens even within a diving day. (night dives only macro). Yes, the risk of flooding is high, but with excercised caution, it can be minimised.

Or you can bring both. I usually " pony " a Nik V with 15mm WA len on my Subal housing which is on 105mm macro, I have a bracket fabricated and treated for this purposes. The strobe on Subal housing is Ikelite 400 ( T syn cord ) and Nik V is SB-105 ( on slave mode, single syn cord ). Cheers !

akoh said:
Or you can bring both. I usually " pony " a Nik V with 15mm WA len on my Subal housing which is on 105mm macro, I have a bracket fabricated and treated for this purposes. The strobe on Subal housing is Ikelite 400 ( T syn cord ) and Nik V is SB-105 ( on slave mode, single syn cord ). Cheers !

Interesting.....do you have a pic of your setup? Wouldnt the setup be bulky?

Sometime with strong current, I have diffculty just to hold and protect my Ikelite housing setup without crashing to nearby corals or boulders....Cannot imagine holding 2 setup....;p Unless I hire additional dive guide to hold my gear...Heard of some pro who usually dive with 3 setup and hire 2 dive guides to hold them.

I also have a coolpix 5400. Do you think is a good ideal to get the U/W housing for this camera? Presently using coolpix 7900 w CP4. :)

i have a D70 too (recently bought) and still can't bear to move into UW for it for reasons mentioned above. Currently i have a UW case for my point and shoot (Canon S1 IS) and my pro UW photographer fren says its enough coz UW photography is more abt light than anything else. He has done magic on point and shoots and good lighting.

So i'm gonna take his advice and spring for all the strobes and arms before buying the casing for the DSLR. Meanwhile will practice my skill on the point and shoot.

Anyone RENTING out these tings??? OR can some of us D70 users all share and buy one set? i mean don't think everyone will dive together right?

With Housings for D200 in the horizon, pre-owned / new housings for D70 may be more affordable very soon.

Amazing how short the demand cycle for uw housing has become, even for most DSLRs. About 1 to 2 years now?

Luv4nature said:
With Housings for D200 in the horizon, pre-owned / new housings for D70 may be more affordable very soon.

Amazing how short the demand cycle for uw housing has become, even for most DSLRs. About 1 to 2 years now?
u mean all this while, u are still waiting for your housing to be made? i am pretty sure Canon would have a 350D/20D replacement by the time your housing is avail in the market, hahahha!

going Bali anytime soon?

Nowadays, buying digital stuff is like courtship. wait too long and you may have to settle for second hand, or worse still, it may be taken off the market.

eric

kthan said:
u mean all this while, u are still waiting for your housing to be made? i am pretty sure Canon would have a 350D/20D replacement by the time your housing is avail in the market, hahahha!

going Bali anytime soon?

Nowadays, buying digital stuff is like courtship. wait too long and you may have to settle for second hand, or worse still, it may be taken off the market.

eric

"My housing" already being annouced, sourcing for the supply before doing next dive trip. Trageting to capture Mola Molas and Hammerheads this year ;)

Just got a SMS that there are huge waves at PJ :eek: . Better check with locals on the condition b4 you make any plan to go there, as this is not the smoothest season in Bali.

Yah man, digital cam came and gone so quickly. E.g. the Olym 7070 was launched and obseleted all within 1 year ! Renting set up may be better than owning one!!

Luv4nature said:
Just got a SMS that there are huge waves at PJ :eek: . Better check with locals on the condition b4 you make any plan to go there, as this is not the smoothest season in Bali.

looking at May for PJ, but where are u shooting yr Mola and Hammies on the same trip? Bali ada?
pm me.....off topic liao.

Luv4nature said:

So, who's tempted? I know I am.....:D
http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/2d200nikon.html

cikgoo said:
i heard steve's digicam recommended fantasea

http://www.phomage.com/Merchant2/me...&Store_Code=hands-free&Category_Code=Fantasea

selling US$899 on ebay...

i think if you fork out a little bit more cash, you'll save yourself endless frustration on those tiny, hard to press buttons. Seriously, i think an ikelite is an absolute minimum any DSLR user should get. Those fantasea / 10bar housings are cheap. yes. but dun complain when you can't even feel the shutter when you "half press" it. anyway, price difference isn't that far away. drink/smoke less and you'll be able to afford it.

That said, those housings offer comparable optical quality. And yes, you'll be able to take pics that look the same as when u use ikelite or subal or etc .etc.... hell i shot my jellyfish pic with a 10bar/G5 combination. But i would have been less stressed out if i used an ikelite housing back then.

in short, i'm saying that unless you have to rob a bank to afford at least a ikelite, then consider a cheaper option, if not, for gods sake, i dun see a point in saving $400 and cursing everytime you try to adjust your camera setting or even take a pic.

well, this is my opinion which probably not all of you will agree with or violently object to.

WhyZzzzzz said:
hell i shot my jellyfish pic with a 10bar/G5 combination. But i would have been less stressed out if i used an ikelite housing back then.

NOOOOOOOOOOO......

you won;t be able to reproduce that shot in an ikelite or Subal. That said, you might be paid more if u told them it was shot in a Subal

kthan said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO......

you won;t be able to reproduce that shot in an ikelite or Subal. That said, you might be paid more if u told them it was shot in a Subal

Sometime ...honesty doesnt pay off....

So when you coming over to see DXX in a Nexus DXX hsg...hehehe :bsmilie:..

Photosmart said:
Sometime ...honesty doesnt pay off....

So when you coming over to see DXX in a Nexus DXX hsg...hehehe :bsmilie:..

see liao gian only.....i am so land-locked

Status
Not open for further replies.