D70s owner (soon to be), need advice on tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvinmah

Feb 1, 2006
Yishun
www.melvinmah.com
Hi guys, i'll be getting a D70s with e much talk about lens, e AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR (provided they have it in stock) sometime this week..

I currently own a U6600 but I THINK it won't be able to hold that weight (D70s + 18-200mm). Can you guys recommend me any cheap n good tripods that should suffice that combination? On a budget since I'm setting money aside for e lens.

Lumix FZ5 owner, upgrading.

Thanks in advance!

Singaporeans want Cheap/Good/Reliable tripod......
but in the end is hard to find.
maybe u can state yr budget/height required.
hope i can help u.

Alternatively, you can go to Cathay Photo(CP), tripod section, ask some advise from them, they will serve you better. :)
You also can have a test on the tripod that you want, before getting it.
It's the best way to do, nothing knows well then your equipment and you're trying it.

melvinmah said:
Hi guys, i'll be getting a D70s with e much talk about lens, e AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR (provided they have it in stock) sometime this week..

I currently own a U6600 but I THINK it won't be able to hold that weight (D70s + 18-200mm). Can you guys recommend me any cheap n good tripods that should suffice that combination? On a budget since I'm setting money aside for e lens.

Lumix FZ5 owner, upgrading.

Thanks in advance!

b4 we get carried away (sooner or later, someone is going to come in and tell u get a carbon-fibre tripod...) ...

do u need a tripod, like, rite NOW?

if not, wait till u get the hang of using ur D70s (pls read the manual?) b4 deciding wat to get. the best way to figure out which tripod is good for u is to take the cam+lens down to the shop (CP, TK and MScolor are my picks. there are others, of course...) and mount it on the tripod(s) to see which one will hold the weight and easiest/lightest to carry ard that suits ur budget.

else, u can always keep an eye out on buy/sell. there are always great bargains available. dats how i got hold of my current tripod anyway.

Moved thread to a more appropriate location.

Ian
Nikon Forum Moderator

PS: to the thread originator, do a search for tripod and you'll find many threads covering what makes a good tripod.

For starters, just buy a cheapo tripod costing less than $50. Just make sure it doesn't get knocked over or anything. Always watch it. And be ready to catch it if it falls.
Even with expensive tripod also same.

Have tripod always better than no tripod, especially when you wanna shoot at night.
If you want really good tripods, they can cost between $150 to $1000+.
Don't think so much yet.

hmm thanks for all your comments.. yea i'll probably seek recommendations frm e store and see what fits my budget and requirements.

melvinmah said:
hmm thanks for all your comments.. yea i'll probably seek recommendations frm e store and see what fits my budget and requirements.
Did you bother to read Ian's note at the end of his post? :rolleyes:

And don't miss these two facts when testing out at the shop:

(1) Test the weight of the D70S + lens on the tripod on the 'potrait' orientation as well. Many cheaper / inferior ones are OK supporting the camera+lens on the 'landscape mode' but not the other.

(2) Don't go the other extreme, trying to be a cool, and buy a super heavy tripod. Lifting it and walking around the shop is one thing while hiking with it on holidays is another. Of course, if you have a car, it's a different story. Of course, the ideal is to have two: one solid one for local use and another relatively lighter one for travels.

Regards

espn said:
Did you bother to read Ian's note at the end of his post? :rolleyes:

as a matter of fact i have, most results/advice are good, which explained stuffs such as e difference of usages in a tripod/monopod. Optimal height of e pod must reach at least eye level, etc.

However, in my question (perhaps I didn't state too clearly), I was hoping for a straight answer, like a recommendation of a specific tripod (and why), especially one which they're currently using.

My bad for not being precise.

if u don shoot at night .. don bother first
save up for the BEST u can afford which can last you for life

point noted. thx for all replies..

will post once i get my cam :) i believe i'll have more qn(s) by then hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.