D70s on-camera flash problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkspike

Jul 14, 2005
Just wondering, anybody having any probems where their flash just doesn't fire after prolonged usage.

Quite often, I use my on-camera as commander to trigger off my SB-800. But after prolonged usage of say, maybe, around half hour to 45 mins, it just stops firing and obviously, renders my slave flash obsolete. I tried switching back to the normal flash on the camera but it still doesn't fire. Honestly, it's getting quite irritating. And I don't undedrstand why my f75 seemed more reliable in the flash and the AF-assist.

As you guys know, the AF-Assist, in dark scenes, helps you illuminate the area so as to allow focusing. I've never had a problem with it when I was using my f75 but for my d70s, after approx 5-6 attempts of the AF-Assist being triggered, it just stops functioning. I've called nikon and they've told me that it's because in it is a capacitor or something (excuses my physics) that requires to be recharged and that it's also a safety precaution to prevent it from overheating. I'm like wondering, i didn't have any problems with my f75 so wad gives man?

Thankfully these days it doesn't affect me all that much as in areas with insufficient light, the SB-800 is attached n the AF-Assist works fine. But the Flash issue is really bugging me alot. The only solution I can think of is another flash JUST to trigger off the slave which I thought was stupid as I thought it great that my cam could just trigger the slave without any problem.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

*Somewhere in the thread, i'm half expecting espn to come in and go BBB tho i'm not sure wad the MTL means :sticktong

Well, it could be that the D70 has a flash heating problem and it takes longer to cool off as opposed to the older film models. Would a slave cable direct to the hotshoe help? (i.e. SC - 29 type?)

PS : you already know BBB rite, MTL (Mai Tu Liao - hokkien slang for Dun wait already)

darkspike said:
Just wondering, anybody having any probems where their flash just doesn't fire after prolonged usage.

Quite often, I use my on-camera as commander to trigger off my SB-800. But after prolonged usage of say, maybe, around half hour to 45 mins, it just stops firing and obviously, renders my slave flash obsolete. I tried switching back to the normal flash on the camera but it still doesn't fire. Honestly, it's getting quite irritating. And I don't undedrstand why my f75 seemed more reliable in the flash and the AF-assist.

As you guys know, the AF-Assist, in dark scenes, helps you illuminate the area so as to allow focusing. I've never had a problem with it when I was using my f75 but for my d70s, after approx 5-6 attempts of the AF-Assist being triggered, it just stops functioning. I've called nikon and they've told me that it's because in it is a capacitor or something (excuses my physics) that requires to be recharged and that it's also a safety precaution to prevent it from overheating. I'm like wondering, i didn't have any problems with my f75 so wad gives man?

Thankfully these days it doesn't affect me all that much as in areas with insufficient light, the SB-800 is attached n the AF-Assist works fine. But the Flash issue is really bugging me alot. The only solution I can think of is another flash JUST to trigger off the slave which I thought was stupid as I thought it great that my cam could just trigger the slave without any problem.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

*Somewhere in the thread, i'm half expecting espn to come in and go BBB tho i'm not sure wad the MTL means :sticktong
I have never encountered a problem like that before. Were you shooting on continuous mode? Even if it's just the capacitor, it will not take that long to recycle unless the battery is really weak. The AF assist should not be dependent on the capacitor as it is just a normal lamp. I think something may be wrong with the camera circuitry or something is wrong with the battery you used.

I've never used a D70 to command CLS before, so not too sure what's your problem here, however the tech supp that told you about the AF-assist needing time to recharge/cool down is correct.

I've shot CLS with SB-800s in a dark condition before with a SB-800 as master, no such issues.

And yes, since you know what's MTL, just BBB!!!

zac08 said:
Well, it could be that the D70 has a flash heating problem and it takes longer to cool off as opposed to the older film models. Would a slave cable direct to the hotshoe help? (i.e. SC - 29 type?)

PS : you already know BBB rite, MTL (Mai Tu Liao - hokkien slang for Dun wait already)

Hey, thanks, now i noe, abt the MTL anyway :p

And as for the slave cable, did think abt it before n it seems to be an eventual thing but sometimes, it's just convenient cos there are SOME instances (not very often but it has happened b4) where my slave is in frame but hidden of cos. So last thing i need is hiding a wire when i got enuff headahces hiding the flash as it is. But thanks for the suggestion tho. :sweatsm:

lsisaxon said:
I have never encountered a problem like that before. Were you shooting on continuous mode? Even if it's just the capacitor, it will not take that long to recycle unless the battery is really weak. The AF assist should not be dependent on the capacitor as it is just a normal lamp. I think something may be wrong with the camera circuitry or something is wrong with the battery you used.

Hmmm.... I'm no good wif electrical know how so maybe, maybe not. i dunno. But the flash thingy is really troubling. Anyway, before the warranty is up, gonna send it in for a full check man. Quite disturbing. Once in a very very blue moon. Like really really blue, the cam freezes up on me. Just hangs. Most of the time in mid shot. So far that has happened only once or twice. But quite scary. Thinkin I need to take better care of the cam. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.