D70s NewNewBie - Pls Comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolliPoP

Apr 1, 2005
Somewhere
Hi,
1st night shoot attempt using Nikon D70s (my 1st DSLR).
All comments/advises are welcome!

DSC_0253_UOB_R2.jpg

DSC_0228_Merlion_R2.jpg

DSC_0207_Merlion_R2.jpg

DSC_0193_Durian_R2.jpg

DSC_0183_Fullerton_R2.JPG

The photos are a bit soft. Which quality did you shoot in and how did you resize? The first and the fourth are a little bit underexposed and for the last one I think it'll be better if you can get a nicer view of the place? Happy shooting! :D

Agree with nod3. I prefer taking pictures of the Fullerton from the boat quay end.
The pics will come out much nicer with a slightly longer exposure. All the best! :)

The images are over compressed and not sharpen to the extent that it looks out of focus instead of just soft. My suggestion for the pictures of that size is to be about 2.5x of the current file size... A 650x432 px picture of 38k?

hmmm... the noise is abit on the high level... n the focus is also abit off.... excellent subjects though. ;)

How to get a correct exposure? 1st Photo was captured using shutter of 2.5", ISO 250. Any setting to enhance it??

When doing nightshots I presume you're using a tripod so since time is irrelevant in this case, its best to use the lowest ISO possible. Your camera has a meter thingy to tell you whether the exposure under/over or just right (then again its what the camera thinks). You can always experiment with a few different shutter speeds to get the kind of photo you want.

Would like to offer some humble help... Most pics are under exposed. You mentioned a shutter speed of 2.5s, but what's the aperture? Shutter speed alone does not determine the right amount of exposure. Shutter speed and aperture (or F stop) together determine exposure. Also which type of metering did you use? Which priority mode did you shoot in? P, A, S or M? All these in one way or another have a bearing on exposure.

There are many settings that might affect your end results. Too many to mention at one go. Perhaps the two other critical ones are ISO and WB.

All teh above mentioned technicalities are captured in the EXIF data.

Apart from the underexposure here that you could over come with more practice, the composition needs to be improved as well. Be conscious of the side of buildings sticking out into the edge of pictures.

snowspeeder said:
Apart from the underexposure here that you could over come with more practice, the composition needs to be improved as well. Be conscious of the side of buildings sticking out into the edge of pictures.

Err... Frankly, i don't really understand what's composition. Can u pls elaborate? Thks.

ironargon said:
Would like to offer some humble help... Most pics are under exposed. You mentioned a shutter speed of 2.5s, but what's the aperture? Shutter speed alone does not determine the right amount of exposure. Shutter speed and aperture (or F stop) together determine exposure. Also which type of metering did you use? Which priority mode did you shoot in? P, A, S or M? All these in one way or another have a bearing on exposure.

There are many settings that might affect your end results. Too many to mention at one go. Perhaps the two other critical ones are ISO and WB.

All teh above mentioned technicalities are captured in the EXIF data.

Err. Wrong info given after I viewed the EXIF data. 1st picture was captured using Shutter Priority Mode at 1/4sec at F4.5. ISO250, 0 EV.

LolliPoP said:
Err... Frankly, i don't really understand what's composition. Can u pls elaborate? Thks.

Its about framing your subject in your shot, the focal point (point of interest). The "Rule" of thirds is an easy way to frame your shots, you can try Googling "rule of thirds", it'll also land you on some other composition shots. If you just snap snap snap away without framing, your shots would just be like any other shot.

n0d3 said:
Its about framing your subject in your shot, the focal point (point of interest). The "Rule" of thirds is an easy way to frame your shots, you can try Googling "rule of thirds", it'll also land you on some other composition shots. If you just snap snap snap away without framing, your shots would just be like any other shot.

O I C. Thk u very much 4 info. Need 2 practice more lah...

Hi Lollipop,
I would suggest you get the technical part right first before you proceed to improve on composition. One thing at a time. Understand shutter, aperture, metering first. Try P, A, S and M mode and see for yourself whats the difference ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.