D7000 with Tameron 17-50 non VC focusing issue

jamessss

Dec 14, 2007
Hi all,

was using my new D7000 for a test shot at my friend chalet birthday party, have noted some issue with it and would like to confirm it with u guys if u are encountering any.

My set up was D7000 with tameron 17 - 50 non vc and mounted with SB-600.

1.) Focusing is usually way off from AF. I've switched from pinpoint to 3D and tried all AF mode but the focusing just seems a tad off.

2.) Using flash, I am able to get a very sharp focus of maybe the front people if I am taking a group shot but people standing at the back and maybe towards the edge of the picture, its OOF.. Kinda weird if u ask me.

3.) Slow focusing using the lens but because of the light source (I assume) so its slow.

Any bro encounter such prob?

jamessss said:
Hi all,

was using my new D7000 for a test shot at my friend chalet birthday party, have noted some issue with it and would like to confirm it with u guys if u are encountering any.

My set up was D7000 with tameron 17 - 50 non vc and mounted with SB-600.

1.) Focusing is usually way off from AF. I've switched from pinpoint to 3D and tried all AF mode but the focusing just seems a tad off.

2.) Using flash, I am able to get a very sharp focus of maybe the front people if I am taking a group shot but people standing at the back and maybe towards the edge of the picture, its OOF.. Kinda weird if u ask me.

3.) Slow focusing using the lens but because of the light source (I assume) so its slow.

Any bro encounter such prob?

You need to understand a few things:

1. Camera shake and 1/focal length rule.
2. Depth of field.

Look up on google and you will find many links that describe these in detail.

#1: Focusing is way off or a tad off? :dunno: If it's consistently not accurate, you could send it in for AF calibration/fine-tune with your camera body. Can try downloading and printing a focus chart to be sure.

#2: Sounds like DOF issue. Could try either stopping down slightly, or taking a step (or 2) back to increase your camera-subject distance.

#3: Heard some comments that it's a tad slower to achieve focus lock, but shouldn't be too slow ba...?

ZerocoolAstra said:
#1: Focusing is way off or a tad off? :dunno: If it's consistently not accurate, you could send it in for AF calibration/fine-tune with your camera body. Can try downloading and printing a focus chart to be sure.

#2: Sounds like DOF issue. Could try either stopping down slightly, or taking a step (or 2) back to increase your camera-subject distance.

#3: Heard some comments that it's a tad slower to achieve focus lock, but shouldn't be too slow ba...?

Bro. #1 sounds like hand shake to me. No focusing error.

hehehe.. :) could very well be.
But I don't understand what is "Focusing is usually way off from AF" followed by "... focusing just seems a tad off"

Hi bro, focusing way off because it try to auto focus but the motor just keep running and settling for a out of focus shot.

If the focus is correct, somewhere just seems off.

2. Depth of field.

Hi bro, I understand such terms and did experiment around with the settings.

As for camera shake, chances are not very high becuz out of 10 picture, 9 are giving me the same problem.

On my D80 wif almost the same setting, in the past I didn't encounter such problem before and this is the first time, which is why I am posting here to see if anyone else is encountering it.

TS, can you upload a image for reference of your prob?

2. Depth of field.

As for camera shake, chances are not very high becuz out of 10 picture, 9 are giving me the same problem.

On my D80 wif almost the same setting, in the past I didn't encounter such problem before and this is the first time, which is why I am posting here to see if anyone else is encountering it.

jamessss said:

Have you tested the combo on a focus test chart? My tamron is tack sharp on a d40x and d90. But I need to dial in an AF fine tune on d300s. FYI.

Hi bro, focusing way off because it try to auto focus but the motor just keep running and settling for a out of focus shot.

If the focus is correct, somewhere just seems off.

why does this sound like a AFC used on focus + recompose situation or chose the wrong af point while looking at the centre af etc? anyway, hope u could upload the photo showing your prob and exif for ref to better understand. =)

I am also experiencing similar problem. The focus just would not focus on what I want to when I'm shooting closer the the subject with some foreground details. This is just weird.

ovaltinemilo said:
why does this sound like a AFC used on focus + recompose situation or chose the wrong af point while looking at the centre af etc? anyway, hope u could upload the photo showing your prob and exif for ref to better understand. =)

I concur. Switch to AF-S mode.

I am also experiencing similar problem. The focus just would not focus on what I want to when I'm shooting closer the the subject with some foreground details. This is just weird.

could be...
1) low contrast, low light scenenario.
2) too close to the focusing subject. (every lens has a min focusing distance)

Will be heading to the USA for my honeymoon with the Tammy. Hope to bring it out over the weekend to learn it's focusing pattern and perfect it before I leave SG. But when will I know if it's an issue that requires calibration? If required, where can I bring it for calibration?

Will be heading to the USA for my honeymoon with the Tammy. Hope to bring it out over the weekend to learn it's focusing pattern and perfect it before I leave SG. But when will I know if it's an issue that requires calibration? If required, where can I bring it for calibration?

If you're shooting objects that are closer than your lens' Minimum Focusing Distance, nothing can be done about it except swap to another lens or adding some kind of adapter :)
Tamron agent is in Changi area if I'm not mistaken. JEL Corporation or something.

If you're shooting objects that are closer than your lens' Minimum Focusing Distance, nothing can be done about it except swap to another lens or adding some kind of adapter :)
Tamron agent is in Changi area if I'm not mistaken. JEL Corporation or something.

Let me try to see if I can post a pic. I used my D90 with the 17-50 while covering my company's BBQ event.

as mentioned, clibration is at JEL Corp. It is actually the same as per other lens (or Nikkors), except that the lens tends to hunt in lower contrast scene or lower lit conditions. Hence to solve it, use your AF assist on your camera or just have a portable source to shine first, mini torch light or LED panel.

I find that using single AF point maybe easier to focus as compared to matrix in dim condition, hope this helps.

grey lens can recalibrate at JEL Corp?