D7000 with Nikon 16-35 F4 backfocus issues

Kirei

Feb 22, 2007
www.beaniecowphotography.com
Hi to all Nikon D7000 users. Anyone has any backfocus issue experience using D7000 with Nikon 16-35 F4 lens?

Realize that I have encountered bad focus issues with this combination when doing table shoot. I thought could be the 16-35 issue but when coupled with a D700 the image is tack sharp.

D7000 using a 50mm 1.8G is generally ok maybe due to shallow DOF but when using it with the 16-35 the backfocus is very obvious.

Your feedback and advise will be greatly appreciated

Hi to all Nikon D7000 users. Anyone has any backfocus issue experience using D7000 with Nikon 16-35 F4 lens?

Realize that I have encountered bad focus issues with this combination when doing table shoot. I thought could be the 16-35 issue but when coupled with a D700 the image is tack sharp.

D7000 using a 50mm 1.8G is generally ok maybe due to shallow DOF but when using it with the 16-35 the backfocus is very obvious.

Your feedback and advise will be greatly appreciated

Try bringing it to NSC and get it calibrated/checked out?

Was thinking about sending to NSC to check but cannot confirm which one is at fault. If it's either the lens or the cam fault is easier but I tried to eliminate all symptons and it seems like its only D7000 and the Nikon 16-35 combi gave me this issue.

Was thinking about sending to NSC to check but cannot confirm which one is at fault. If it's either the lens or the cam fault is easier but I tried to eliminate all symptons and it seems like its only D7000 and the Nikon 16-35 combi gave me this issue.

Then best is send in see what they say about it. Beats wondering. Unless you can get another 16-35 to test or D7000 to test?

Have you tried using AF-fine tune on your D7000 cam to calibrate it?

I think the initial way to check if your D7000 is having focusing issue, you should compare live view vs normal AF on the body. If there is significant difference, then probably is your body. Pls use a tripod, well lit and fixed target etc. Or did you check if any AF tune is set w/o realizing(should be at 0)?

After consulting my friend who has experience with D7000 he advised me to do AF fine tune. True enough the body itself has serious backfocus issue. My D7000 with the 16-35 has to calibrate till -16 to achieve visible sharp focus. Did a test with some of my other lens and found that they do have slight amount of backfocus but is considered acceptable even when AF tune is set to 0. Users of D7000 and 16-35 may need to take note on this.

After consulting my friend who has experience with D7000 he advised me to do AF fine tune. True enough the body itself has serious backfocus issue. My D7000 with the 16-35 has to calibrate till -16 to achieve visible sharp focus. Did a test with some of my other lens and found that they do have slight amount of backfocus but is considered acceptable even when AF tune is set to 0. Users of D7000 and 16-35 may need to take note on this.

It does not happen with every body, neither does is it a body model issue. nor a lens model issue. This means, it does not happen to all 16-35 and D7000 combination. It is about tolerances. You might want to spend some time to read this article.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths

AF Fine tune is something every photographer should do, if they are serious about their work. Learn how to do it, and check every lens/body combination and adjust so that everything is tuned well. And remember to check again once in a while. Focus can "run" as you use your equipment over time.

It does not happen with every body, neither does is it a body model issue. nor a lens model issue. This means, it does not happen to all 16-35 and D7000 combination. It is about tolerances. You might want to spend some time to read this article.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths

AF Fine tune is something every photographer should do, if they are serious about their work. Learn how to do it, and check every lens/body combination and adjust so that everything is tuned well. And remember to check again once in a while. Focus can "run" as you use your equipment over time.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. To be frank this is the first time I experienced backfocusing problem with my D7000. I've been a Nikon user since I started moving into DSLR (D50, D80, D300, D700, D7000) and am glad to say I have not experienced any back of front focus issues (maybe I'm lucky or Nikon product is just plain awesome to say). If there is any OOF I would say its my own issue of handling when AF. I'm not very particular in 100% sharpness because I do understand that there is a tolerance level which I can accept. But when I started using D7000 I realized the frequency of OOF is very frequent and it always backfocus with my 16-35. Last night did a test with the 16-35 on my D7000. I tried on tripod with bright lit and stationery subjects and the results they gave me is still backfocus. When switch to D700 with the rest of the conditions remained unchanged. I'm able to get all shots in focus without issues ( I am not expecting it to be 100% sharp. As long as the subject in focus is clear i'm fine). I'm not sure if this is a defect on my D7000, as my technical knowledge on camera body is limited but I'm just worried based on one point. If what you say is true that the focus can "run" when we use equipment over time". As of now I need to AF tune to -16 to get my subject in focus. Will there be a time when the focus overrun will exceed beyond -20 whereby I can never fine tune it to be in focus. Well of course we can always bring it in for servicing when it is within warranty. What about out of warranty cases since this could be a case of overtime usage. Your views and advice will be greatly appreciated.

(P.S. last night i tried all my existing lens with the D7000. 16-35 and the nikon 50 1.8 gathered the worst backfocusing at more than -15. The rest is within -5, -6. With my D700 I don't see the need coz the subject looks in focus to me)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. To be frank this is the first time I experienced backfocusing problem with my D7000. I've been a Nikon user since I started moving into DSLR (D50, D80, D300, D700, D7000) and am glad to say I have not experienced any back of front focus issues (maybe I'm lucky or Nikon product is just plain awesome to say). If there is any OOF I would say its my own issue of handling when AF. I'm not very particular in 100% sharpness because I do understand that there is a tolerance level which I can accept. But when I started using D7000 I realized the frequency of OOF is very frequent and it always backfocus with my 16-35. Last night did a test with the 16-35 on my D7000. I tried on tripod with bright lit and stationery subjects and the results they gave me is still backfocus. When switch to D700 with the rest of the conditions remained unchanged. I'm able to get all shots in focus without issues ( I am not expecting it to be 100% sharp. As long as the subject in focus is clear i'm fine). I'm not sure if this is a defect on my D7000, as my technical knowledge on camera body is limited but I'm just worried based on one point. If what you say is true that the focus can "run" when we use equipment over time". As of now I need to AF tune to -16 to get my subject in focus. Will there be a time when the focus overrun will exceed beyond -20 whereby I can never fine tune it to be in focus. Well of course we can always bring it in for servicing when it is within warranty. What about out of warranty cases since this could be a case of overtime usage. Your views and advice will be greatly appreciated.

(P.S. last night i tried all my existing lens with the D7000. 16-35 and the nikon 50 1.8 gathered the worst backfocusing at more than -15. The rest is within -5, -6. With my D700 I don't see the need coz the subject looks in focus to me)

Apart from the Electronic AF fine tune, there is also another AF mirror tuning mechanism hidden in the camera. If ALL of your lenses are off in the same direction (either backfocus or front focus), that means your AF mirror is out of alignment. That can be fixed via a 2mm hex screw on the side wall of the mirror box behind the mirror (the one closer to the sensor is the one that adjust AF mirror. THe one closer to the lens mount adjust Manual focus accuracy). Sounds like you are not that adventurours to DIY. I recommend you bring it in to Nikon Service Center to get it aligned properly.

AF mirror misalingment can be caused by many reasons, but the most common one is that the camera body sustained a drop or a hard knock.

But if you want to do it yourself, this is how it is done.
MCWK on Blogspot.com: DIY Focus Fine-tuning on a Nikon D70

Last edited:
Thanks DD123 for sharing all this.

Apart from the Electronic AF fine tune, there is also another AF mirror tuning mechanism hidden in the camera. If ALL of your lenses are off in the same direction (either backfocus or front focus), that means your AF mirror is out of alignment. That can be fixed via a 2mm hex screw on the side wall of the mirror box behind the mirror (the one closer to the sensor is the one that adjust AF mirror. THe one closer to the lens mount adjust Manual focus accuracy). Sounds like you are not that adventurours to DIY. I recommend you bring it in to Nikon Service Center to get it aligned properly.

AF mirror misalingment can be caused by many reasons, but the most common one is that the camera body sustained a drop or a hard knock.

But if you want to do it yourself, this is how it is done.
MCWK on Blogspot.com: DIY Focus Fine-tuning on a Nikon D70

Thanks mate for this info. Yep will not do it on my own. Will bring it down to NSC soon to have a look. thanks once again ^^

To my understanding unless your case is very severely off NSC will inform you that the camera is within specifications. The best way is to go for a check-up with them while bearing in mind that you may still have to resort to AFMA.

Do you guys experience tsk tsk sound coming from the lens whenever it focuses (VR on). Is it normal? its quite obvious in a quiet environment. Experienced this on my rented set previously.

Will af fine tuning on d7000 varies from different focus length n apeture on a zoom lens i.e. 17-70mm f/2.8-4? If yes, at which length n apeture should we tune to?

Will af fine tuning on d7000 varies from different focus length n apeture on a zoom lens i.e. 17-70mm f/2.8-4? If yes, at which length n apeture should we tune to?

AF fine tune is specific to the lens used. It does not care about focal length nor aperture. Usually we calibrate the lens at or near the longest focal length of a zoom lens. Do note that some lenses do exhibit focus shift (different focus point at different focus distance/aperture). So if that is the situation, either find a point where it is the best compromise, or send your lens in to get it looked at. Sometimes it is the characteristic of the lens and there is nothing you can do about it. In that case, tune your AF at the focal length/aperture/focus distance you are most likely to use.

AF fine tune is specific to the lens used. It does not care about focal length nor aperture. Usually we calibrate the lens at or near the longest focal length of a zoom lens. Do note that some lenses do exhibit focus shift (different focus point at different focus distance/aperture). So if that is the situation, either find a point where it is the best compromise, or send your lens in to get it looked at. Sometimes it is the characteristic of the lens and there is nothing you can do about it. In that case, tune your AF at the focal length/aperture/focus distance you are most likely to use.

Agree with dd regarding AFMA-ing for the value of best compromise.

Not just for zoom lenses at varying focal lengths, for the case of large aperture 1.4 primes, a slight change in focusing distance may also change the AF characteristics by heaps and bounds. Different lighting conditions and color temperature, backlight etc will further wreak havoc to the overall consistency of PDAF systems. Best to test at a comfortable colour temperature (not too warm, pref. daylight) and make slight adjustments for warm lighting. Cheers!