D7000 overexposure

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Two months into my D7000 and a few thousand shots later, I seem to observe that the D7000 tends to overexpose by 0.5EV or so a lot of the time. Anyone else observing this? Any suggestion to fix it other than using exposure compensation?

If you are using spot metering, then exposure depends heavily on which point you select for metering. For matrix metering this is usually not a problem...

In this case it could be either a problem of the metering system of your camera body, or that of the lens that you use. Try some other lens and see if things change.

If you are using spot metering, then exposure depends heavily on which point you select for metering. For matrix metering this is usually not a problem...

In this case it could be either a problem of the metering system of your camera body, or that of the lens that you use. Try some other lens and see if things change.

Hmmm... seems like Nassim Mansurovs also witnessed it: http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d7000-review (see Section 5).

Yes sir. I've rented the D7k a few times as a backup camera for my wedding shoots. Usually its on Aperture Priority mode and using 50mm or 85mm primes. and yes, i found it tends to overexpose quite a bit.

by the way, the 3D AF rocks!!

i believe it depends on what you point the camera at, so basically the fault lies with the person who is suppose to control the tool instead of the tool

believe me this is normal... :)

If you dont use exposure compensation to "fix", you will need to go with "M" mode :)

Two months into my D7000 and a few thousand shots later, I seem to observe that the D7000 tends to overexpose by 0.5EV or so a lot of the time. Anyone else observing this? Any suggestion to fix it other than using exposure compensation?

Though I would agree that its the person to tweak his tool to get the best looking images, however, i have also found my D7000 overexposed as much as 0.7 to 1EV compared to my 60D and A33 for the same settings at the same scene.

I dun think it's a major problem, as it could be easily fixed during PP, but just needs to be aware of it.

Also in terms of metering accuracy and rendering, I do find 60D does it more accurately (looks more realistic). D7000 (probably due to its better DR) tends to make the shadows looks unrealistic at times.

But then again, many will again argue that nothing can't be fixed during PP.

So ignore what I have said if that doesn't bother you.

at the same time, not sure if you guys have this issue where the focus accuracy between good lighting (day time) vs low light. In low light condition it tent to OOF vs day time tact sharp.

Though I would agree that its the person to tweak his tool to get the best looking images, however, i have also found my D7000 overexposed as much as 0.7 to 1EV compared to my 60D and A33 for the same settings at the same scene.

I dun think it's a major problem, as it could be easily fixed during PP, but just needs to be aware of it.

Also in terms of metering accuracy and rendering, I do find 60D does it more accurately (looks more realistic). D7000 (probably due to its better DR) tends to make the shadows looks unrealistic at times.

But then again, many will again argue that nothing can't be fixed during PP.

So ignore what I have said if that doesn't bother you.

at the same time, not sure if you guys have this issue where the focus accuracy between good lighting (day time) vs low light. In low light condition it tent to OOF vs day time tact sharp.

Of course la, ask you to focus manually also got problem... The camera also needs light to focus. :)

Focus of all cameras will drop in low light condition, failure rate higher, misfocus rate higher..

hahaha ok lo.... :)

thanks anyway... :)

Of course la, ask you to focus manually also got problem... The camera also needs light to focus. :)

Focus of all cameras will drop in low light condition, failure rate higher, misfocus rate higher..

ya, i find that the d7k expose a bit more compared to my d3s in some situations. but i do like it better as i think it meters 'more correctly' than the d3s, cos sometimes the d3s is a bit conservative.