D7000 or D90?

Riyanto Ong

Jul 14, 2005
Singapore
Apologies if this had been discussed before, since I was not actively join this forum for more than 1 year.

I am having an old F90s with 28-70mm/F3.5-4.5 and 70-200mm/F4.5-5.6, and D70s with standard 18-70mm lens. Considering the new D7000, it is the time to upgrade my gear ;)

Comparing the spec of both D90 and D7000, for sure D7000 has a lot of advatages. Despite all the advantages, price difference is also big. With the limited budget, I need some advises on what to choose.

BTW, I am a casual photographer without any specific interest. Mostly I use the Nikon to take family holiday photos. I like to take the scenery, people on the street and some nightshot such as fireworks and building. Also considering to start on macro [ still can't decide between the 60mm and 105mm. Also need advise. ]

Thanks a lot,
Riyanto

If budget is the limit, then go for what you can afford.

Maybe in your case which is the D90 which is sufficient for your casual needs or even professional usage if needed.

PS: I notice you have created quite a few threads, why not merge you questions into 1 thread so it be easier for you to track too. Maybe the mods can help to merge them.

D7000 is certainly a very attractive camera, but the price also very attractive :)
I think D90 makes a more compelling choice. A big jump from D70. You get the nice big LCD and more bells and whistles.

I think you can use your lenses from your film SLR as well.

most nikon booths will still have the D90 on display for testing. You should try it out yourself and see if the d7000 is really that much better that you are willing to pay for the price. If after trying you do not see much difference or enough difference for you to pay 1000 more, then you have already made your choice. :) Anyway, both are magnificent cameras.

Also considering to start on macro [ still can't decide between the 60mm and 105mm. Also need advise. ]

Thanks a lot,
Riyanto

For insect close-up shoot, it would be better if you choose 105mm macro, as you still have quite a distance with the insect. Standing too near with the insect of course will scare them away.

For flower/still life close-up shoot, it would be better if you choose 60mm macro. With DX body, this lens also could be used as a good portrait lens.

So it depends on yourself. What your main interest is.

D7000.:devil:

Was considering both cameras. I think for casual use, the D90 more than suffices. Price differential between the two makes it a no-brainer, use the money to buy a good lens instead. Unlike bodies, lenses don't depreciate much.

You've answered yourself.
1) D7000 too expensive
2) You're just a casual photographer with no specific interest.

Go for D90! Rocking cam;)

JUst go for the D7000 Body only.. Since you already have the len ALREADY. Thats my initial plan as I had just upgraded from D60... But the package with the kit len its only like 200 plus diff so I toook the package... 1990 is the price for my package d7000.

Why not sell away ur D70 for the fund??

I have just got a D7000, its fantastic, I have many friends who got a D90, they told me that D90 is also superb. so I agree if budget is a constraint, then D90 is good enough, think D7000 is expensive partially because of the material they use. for D7000, its the same as D300S which is magnesium alloy, which is heavier than D90 also.

I was also considering between the 2 just like you last month. In the end, I got myself D90 with the original battery grip, 35mmf1.8 and extra original battery. The price I paid for the items did not even exceed D7000 body price and I am happy with it. If I were to get D7000, I will be spending much more and I am just a newbie.:)

I have just got a D7000, its fantastic, I have many friends who got a D90, they told me that D90 is also superb. so I agree if budget is a constraint, then D90 is good enough, think D7000 is expensive partially because of the material they use. for D7000, its the same as D300S which is magnesium alloy, which is heavier than D90 also.

do note that d7000 isnt full magnesium alloy construction for its body while the d300s is.

Considering the new D7000, it is the time to upgrade my gear ;)

What's your main intention to upgrade? Or what are the limitations that you have met currently?

D90 should be a fairly good jump from D70s, considering its current price tag. Somemore, you have the same thought that D7000 is expensive now; while you are just a casual shooter.

Alternatively, hold for a while to let the D7000 price to cool down before buying if you can live with your current setup :cool:

The replacement for full frame D700 will be announced by this year. The price of D700 will be more or less impacted. You probably can get it around SGD2200-2500 for a 2nd-hand set in Singapore. In fact, it's already selling new set at SGD2550 in Malaysia. Compared to the SGD1700 for a new D7000, I would rather go for the full frame D700 since the difference is not more than SGD1000.
A full frame camera will definitely open up a new world for your shooting if you want to upgrade. The only troublesome is the price of the full frame lenses. A full frame camera + a full frame lens would cost you at least SGD4000, not to mention if you want to buy additional full frame lenses.

Last edited:
oh.. sorry didn't see that part. thanks to all for highlighting