D7000 or d300s??

beckham072376

Oct 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

Currently im using a D5000for my first DSLR camera. After using it for a few months n getting myself accustomed to DSLR camera now im thinking of being a serious photpgrapher instead of being a hobbyist. Now deciding between this 2 models either the D7000 or D300s due to my budget. I do know that the D300s is a full frame. So i need some friendly advice before i decide which model to buy.

Erm. I've seen an identical thread here eh.

D300s is not a full frame....

i have used D7000 and the image quality is great

if i m you, i will go for D7000 for sure - cheaper, newer software and sytem, better overall quality

Hi everyone,

Currently im using a D5000for my first DSLR camera. After using it for a few months n getting myself accustomed to DSLR camera now im thinking of being a serious photpgrapher instead of being a hobbyist. Now deciding between this 2 models either the D7000 or D300s due to my budget. I do know that the D300s is a full frame. So i need some friendly advice before i decide which model to buy.

D300s isnt a full frame camera. it's also a DX camera with the older 12.3 MP DX sensor, which is the same as d5000's sensor. to put it simply, get the D300s if u gonna shoot alot of sports photography. otherwise d7000 is enough with better high iso performance.

luckyorange said:
Hmm d5000 can't get you serious?

If you are venturing out as a full time photographer, I reckon D700 should be what you are looking at. This does not mean other cameras are not viable, but your aim is a full-time photographer, so having better equipment will give you better opportunities for more extreme conditions.

There again, it will depends on which area your expertise is on.

Canon 5D mark 2 might be an option too.

After few months? hmm i hope its not impulse buying. Btw D300s is not a full frame. And i dontknow how serious u mean serious here.. I guess its better you stick to what you have first.

Hi everyone,

D300s is DX still... If you want Fullframe, D700 is the next step up.

I would recommend d7000... you can put your money on buying lens in future...

TWmilkteaTW said:
After few months? hmm i hope its not impulse buying. Btw D300s is not a full frame. And i dontknow how serious u mean serious here.. I guess its better you stick to what you have first.

You seems pretty right about the serious part. Having after thoughts, perhaps TS have to be more serious about seriously being a dedicated photographer when he didn't even find out which is FF and which is DX. This is not a mockery, but rather I suppose a serious person whom is seriously into photography should have at least the idea of what cameras are in the market and what he or she really wanted. Differentiating between DX and FX is like one of the most obvious thing to be noticed. This is provided TS did not have a typo error.

Hmmmm thanks for the advice. Yeah some might say that u cant define me as a serious photographer or not. But the morale of the story here is all bout me into serious phototaking **** ya.. So maybe im wrong bout the 300s not being the full frame. Partly was a wrong typo error ya. It should be D700 n not the D300 series. N i do know that if im into the full frame, i cant use my current lenses with a full frame ya. Im trying to venture deeper into photography and everyday is a learning process for me to learn as much as i can from the pros.

So maybe i should just go for the D700 ya..

beckham072376 said:
Hmmmm thanks for the advice. Yeah some might say that u cant define me as a serious photographer or not. But the morale of the story here is all bout me into serious phototaking **** ya.. So maybe im wrong bout the 300s not being the full frame. Partly was a wrong typo error ya. It should be D700 n not the D300 series. N i do know that if im into the full frame, i cant use my current lenses with a full frame ya. Im trying to venture deeper into photography and everyday is a learning process for me to learn as much as i can from the pros.

So maybe i should just go for the D700 ya..

d700 is very good for a FF beginner and I'm sure you'll get yourself a steep learning curve.

did you ever consider getting a 2nd hand body and pump those extra juice into better lenses?

Go for fx D700 , dont waste money on D300s...

To me, D300s has a huge advantage over D700 for professional use: dual memory slots for backup

Wait for the new FX to come out and get the D700.

The price will drop down for sure and keep your D5000 for spare and holiday purpose.

NikF601 said:
Go for fx D700 , dont waste money on D300s...

Disagree.
I think both are great body in their own class ... to me d300s is king for dx.

catchlights said:
to be serious about photography is depends on how much efforts and time you put in for creating your works.

+1 most get caught up with defining being "serious" as acquiring more (and latest) gear. Partly becoz of the stigma from fellow photographers who look down (or up) to other photog's gear, i.e. to take better pictures, one must use pro-grade camera and lenses. A lot of us are guilty of this "gear-envy" at one point of our photographic journey.
If your current gear limits your photography, by all means buy/rent/borrow the gear you need. If your current setup can still fulfill your needs, you might want to re-assess if what you're feeling is only the BBB virus. :)

d300s will ''force'' you to have a steeper learning curve as it doesnt have those pre-setup mode (party, fireworks, outdoor, etc).
Ergonomically, i like it over the d7k ... ....