D7000 High ISO Sample Shot

Luv4nature

May 9, 2002
S'pore
Visit site
This is one sample shot done at ISO 3,200 with D7000, original was taken in NEF format, converted to JPEG.

For resolution and high iso noise level, certainly sets a new standard for Nikon DX format body. With D300s, hardly able to achieve this level of resolution and cleanliness, even if it was done at ISO 800.

Resized image:
testshot1a.jpg

100% Crop:
testshot1b.jpg

Last edited:
yes i agree, i'm been taking night shoot at iso 4000 hand held and got good results. what a simply amazing camera.

Took a shot while packing my bag for a shoot tmr.

Shot with the Sigma 30mm f1.4 wide open at ISO 3200

d7k001.jpg

Wow, amazed at the quality of high ISO result. :thumbsup:

Need to view in 100% crop to justify the High ISO performance though :)

Did you all did any touchup? Surprised to see that there wasn't any hot pixels in your photo at this iso :O

No touch up (won't bother to...) & no mapping done. If anything, guess just lucky to get a clean sensor copy. In fact, was quite surprise so many have mentioned abt their hot pixel issues.

Last edited:
Just to illustrate the high ISO capabilities of D7000, following 3 shots were taken with ISO of between 1100 to 2200. Still yields very high quality images. To me, this machine has already set the highest standard in ISO performance among all current Nikon DX models. Don't understand why some continue to rant abt the camera, shld just go shoot and use the camera to the fullest !

dsc0912a.jpg

dsc1059a.jpg

dsc0986ab.jpg

Just to illustrate the high ISO capabilities of D7000, following 3 shots were taken with ISO of between 1100 to 2200. Still yields very high quality images. To me, this machine has already set the highest standard in ISO performance among all current Nikon DX models. Don't understand why some continue to rant abt the camera, shld just go shoot and use the camera to the fullest !

QUOTE]

Using what zoom lens with D7000 to take this photos?

Zoom used is 70-200 VR2 mated with TC20E III.

DX format plus good hi ISO of D7000 allows this type of set up to gain access to bird photography, normally dominated by long super tele lenses :)

DX format plus good hi ISO of D7000 allows this type of set up to gain access to bird photography, normally dominated by long super tele lenses :)

Sorry, I feel that is too bright and noisy.:think:

woah, i am impressed... looks like d7k is really giving 7D a good run for the money!! i really wondered why i chose the red camp in the first place...

Yo dude, I'm following your thread all along :) What I meant at the other thread is that, I agree that the talk emphasising so much on 1 or 2 issues that it undermining the whole performance of the camera, in this case, the ISO performance, which is pretty good :)

And I agree with some, you should consider switching to FX with those shots :) :thumbsup:

Been there and still staying there too :)

The very inherent advantage of DX format is supposed to benefit nature tele-photography, however, D300s proved a limitation on its sensor ISO capability. Now that D7000 has both higher MP and high ISO performance, it edges on its format advantage even more.

So just trying to illustrate the offerings by D7000 in that it has just widen the widow of shooting opportunities, nature photography included. In the past, many shooting situations like these where the DX images were discarded due to camera shake (forced to use lower shutter speed) or the high ISO results were too messy, now the keeper bracket has been widen with D7000.

Yeah, the ergonomics is not good enough, body is not rugged enough, buffering is not large enough, fps is not high enough, (and the rediculous debates on hot pixels!!) blah, blah, blah.... but I think D7000 is still the best Nikon DX body for now, until a semi-pro D300s replacement comes along..

Last edited:

what do u think of the image quality of the attached TC20E III? worth it?

It's the best 2X converter by far. However, expectation cannot be set too high, it is after all an add-on converter, the resultant optics can never match an equivalent prime/ zoom.

Last edited:
Think for your standard need a D3s ;)

Actually your shot is very nice, not bad after a second look at it. :)
Yes, I will get a D3s and all those good lens, thank you for your suggestion. :)

Wow love your birds! Cant wait to get my hands on this camera