D7000 Discussion Thread III

I went back to check some previous photos and found it present even at ISO 320, But it is much much fainter. So I guess this is in agreement with what's observed by someone in an earlier thread. However I think what is more important is whether it looks obvious to the shooter.
Anyway, my intention is to share some high iso night shots from the D7000 to show what it can do, but regarding the hot pixel I realised I'm just confirming what others have been talking about ages ago. :embrass:

The first picture look like Singapore Pisa Tower but very nice... that little dot is very small... no worries...

Thank you. I'm fine with having it one in the corner but if 'm really particular about it been visible in a picture I can easily remove it.

to all D7k owners
does the hot pixel appear when u shot high iso (=>1000) but with fast shuter speed?

Even though hot pixels may show up at high iso on any cameras, I think the exact numerical threshold depends on the copy that one has.

Hi, I tried my D7000 yesterday night. Apparently, I'm getting quite good result flashless and flash photos.

Tried one indoor shot with moderate lighting at iso1600 1/30 f4.8 48mm mirrored shot, no sign of hot pixel. But I do get two little hot pixel (non noticeable unless you zoom in alot), upper left of the frame during low light (dark background, close to no ambient light) outdoor shot with similar setting. Other than that, I have not exp any other including iso1600, 5sec f22 (for testing only), result = overexposed!

Guess as long as we have a little ambient light, it should be fine.

Also played with zoom flash portrait together with my sb900, excellent!! Only thing is I feel the flash unit slighted oversize to the D7000.

Overall very satisfied with the camera except the little flaw (HP) but I think we can overcome it quite easily. Hope Nikon comes with a fix soonest to complete the beauty of this beast!!! :)

Exp yourself, don't hearsay from other!!!

Every copy of a camera will exhibit slightly different characteristics. The hot pixel threshold may be higher for some and lower for others. It may appear in one corner for some and in another for others. So the (different) copy everyone tested may have different results.

Bro, are thos pics shot really using D7000 or a coollpix ?

If is a D7000, then the shots are :thumbsd:

It's a D7000. But I haven't got much experience with exposure for night shots. Care to elaborate on why you think it's bad?

Last edited:
Or maybe he didn't use a tripod for those pictures? Those pictures are not that bad after all...:sweat:

Bro, are thos pics shot really using D7000 or a coollpix ?

If is a D7000, then the shots are :thumbsd:

Last edited:
Read: "Handheld, ISO 1000-1600, 1/25s-1/100s, F2"

I haven't got a tripod which can hold the D7000, even if I have I won't be carrying it when I went to buy my 50mm.
High ISO degrades IQ but it is more sensitive and so allows me to use a faster shutter.
F2 is not as sharp but lets in more light and allows me to use a faster shutter.
Both settings gives me shutter speed of 1/25s-1/100s which allows me to take the pictures handheld without camera shake since I don't have very steady hands and the 50mm has no VR.
These are the tradeoffs when you are not carrying a tripod and have no support to place the camera.

I do have some basics on night photography but I do get under or over exposed pictures sometimes so I thought it was the issue here.
Still thanks a lot to Junye for the helpful link. :)

Last edited:
Or maybe he didn't use a tripod for those pictures? Those pictures are that bad after all...:sweat:

I don't think the pics are taken using D7000. My F31fd can take much better pics.

Read: "Handheld, ISO 1000-1600, 1/25s-1/100s, F2"

I haven't got a tripod which can hold the D7000, even if I have I won't be carrying it when I went to buy my 50mm.
High ISO degrades IQ but it is more sensitive and so allows me to use a faster shutter.
F2 is not as sharp but lets in more light and allows me to use a faster shutter.
Both settings gives me shutter speed of 1/25s-1/100s which allows me to take the pictures handheld without camera shake since I don't have very steady hands and the 50mm has no VR.
These are the tradeoffs when you are not carrying a tripod and have no support to place the camera.

I do have some basics on night photography but I do get under or over exposed pictures sometimes so I thought it was the issue here.
Still thanks a lot to Junye for the helpful link. :)

50mm f1.4 or f1.8 doesn't mean it is able to take decent nite landscape photos handheld... Frankly it seems that you are defending, and frankly those test shots are nothing great, they look soft and my iphone can do better by just resting on some solid surface.

For nite landscape shots, using a bigger aperture will not solve your tripodless problem... it will just make the situation worst... oh, higher iso will make it look like taken from a iphone only...

Sorry for being brutal, cos I love taking night photos, and if you go to my multiply website, I have lots of not so good nite photos... Most of them are taken using 18-70 & 18-135mm, me poor man, no money to buy lens other than kit lens. The only expensive accessories i have is the tripod.

Why I want to write this is that, it doesn't matter if your photos now are good or bad... if you really dun know, or know a little only, nevermind continue to learn and improve. Dun go into defensive mode... cos what you explain above is true why people using bigger aperture for low light situation, but thats not the case for a nite landscape shot. Ask any guys or gals out there who love nite landscape shoot, ask them what is the one thing they must have...

For nite street shooting, I will use my 50mm f1.8 usually couple with flash or high iso.

One last thing, yes expensive equipment can help you get very good results, but if you do not know how to use it right, you get nothing also...

once again, sorry for being brutal...

50mm f1.4 or f1.8 doesn't mean it is able to take decent nite landscape photos handheld... Frankly it seems that you are defending, and frankly those test shots are nothing great, they look soft and my iphone can do better by just resting on some solid surface.

For nite landscape shots, using a bigger aperture will not solve your tripodless problem... it will just make the situation worst... oh, higher iso will make it look like taken from a iphone only...

Sorry for being brutal, cos I love taking night photos, and if you go to my multiply website, I have lots of not so good nite photos... Most of them are taken using 18-70 & 18-135mm, me poor man, no money to buy lens other than kit lens. The only expensive accessories i have is the tripod.

Why I want to write this is that, it doesn't matter if your photos now are good or bad... if you really dun know, or know a little only, nevermind continue to learn and improve. Dun go into defensive mode... cos what you explain above is true why people using bigger aperture for low light situation, but thats not the case for a nite landscape shot. Ask any guys or gals out there who love nite landscape shoot, ask them what is the one thing they must have...

For nite street shooting, I will use my 50mm f1.8 usually couple with flash or high iso.

One last thing, yes expensive equipment can help you get very good results, but if you do not know how to use it right, you get nothing also...

Wow, that is really brutal but it true. :) tripod is really necessary for solid night landscape.

This beast can definately perform further.

Last edited:

no offense taken :) Yes i'm defensive only because I felt I was misunderstood completely.
1. I didn't buy the 50mm for night shots.
2. I didn't buy the 50mm for landscapes.
3. I took those pics because I happen to be around the area and wanted to test the high iso performance of D7000. I do realised now that nightscapes are not a good test subject for this.
4. The settings are to ensure that the pictuers are free of camera shake. Between lower IQ and blur I prefer lower IQ.
5. It's not that I do not know the importance of a tripod, when I took pictures at Marina Bay iLight, I used a compact with a tripod.
6. Unless they are imprompto, I do not take night shots without a tripod, base ISO and smaller aperture.

Yap agree.... though Tripod can be hassle... but it is Must have for some/most nite shots.... of course if go out take fun shots then nevermind lar... just enjoy it..... after that just delete it... :devil:

Yap agree.... though Tripod can be hassle... but it is Must have for some/most nite shots.... of course if go out take fun shots then nevermind lar... just enjoy it..... after that just delete it... :devil:

Good idea. :) Or people would think this is all that a D7000 can do.

Last edited:
People here very high standard... and high expectation on D7000... ha ha... take it easy my friend, next time if no tripod, use a dustbin, table, or something to take night shots... cheers!

Good idea. :) Or people would think this is all that a D7000 can do.

Really weird things happen O_O

Remember last time I complained about seeing hot pixel during video shots? Yea, the video I put up, the ISO is firing automatically.

This time I tried @ manual control at ISO3200 and I see nothing... Really nothing. I blow it up @ my big TV, pausing it, looking in details, nothing... I see nothing O_O That particular hot pixel disappeared O_O

*state of shock here*

Really weird things happen O_O

Remember last time I complained about seeing hot pixel during video shots? Yea, the video I put up, the ISO is firing automatically.

This time I tried @ manual control at ISO3200 and I see nothing... Really nothing. I blow it up @ my big TV, pausing it, looking in details, nothing... I see nothing O_O That particular hot pixel disappeared O_O

*state of shock here*

Bro, are yu sure bout this? I'm struggling in getting D7000 or not... Just waiting ppl to confirm less "problem" before I proceed my purchase....

People here very high standard... and high expectation on D7000... ha ha... take it easy my friend, next time if no tripod, use a dustbin, table, or something to take night shots... cheers!

Folks, let's not OT anymore. :sweat:

Besides the noise from the focusing motor when using "LIVE VIEW" during video mode, I have no problem with my D7000...
Bro, are yu sure bout this? I'm struggling in getting D7000 or not... Just waiting ppl to confirm less "problem" before I proceed my purchase....

lol. Yeah, lesson learnt. :)

Folks, let's not OT anymore. :sweat:
Sorry, my bad :embrass:

Hi, don't just hearsay the story, go and try the demo out. Everyone has different requirement and expectation.

You might be surprise after trying. For me, I would say it not that negative at all or perhaps I have low expectation.. :)

I've encountered exactly the same problem with the same lens. AF with 3rd party lens does not work in LV mode. Same thing happens to Sigma 30mm F1.4. No problem for any Nikkor lens with/without LV. No problem for any lens without LV.

Does any bro/sis here encountered the same problem with other model eg D90, D300s?

My D90 works fine with the Tammy 17-50mm at LV mode... That's why I am abit upset with the D7k.... but lucky the Tammy 18-270mm works quite well with the D7k's LV mode(although not as smooth and fast like the Nikkor 18-105mm). haizzz...... but I do notice that my tammies AF faster with the D7k at still mode..