D7000 Auto Focus Query

Pacificslite

Feb 2, 2011
Hello all,

I have a question on the auto-focusing function on D7000, which I don't seem to be able to find the answer after reading the manual on AF-S, AF-C and AF-A:

I used to own a D70, which I can fix a point to auto-focus (usually I fixed it at the centre of the viewfinder).

In D7000, I don't seem to be able to do that now - the 39 autofocus points now 'decide' where to auto focus for me.

That's causing a problem for me when I tried to shoot, say photos on stage where there are a few actors, but I only want to auto focus on a particular actor.

I don't want to use Manual Focus on these scenes because I am not good enough to get a sharp photo using manual focusing.

Any help on how I can select where I want to autofocus within the viewfinder in D7000? Many thanks in advance.

Also, could be me englisland no good, but I still don't really understand how the AF-S, AF-C and AF-A works - they seem the same to me after reading it a couple of times. :confused:

Are you selecting the mode of AF as 39 pts?

There's a way to select 1 point focus, 9 pt focus, another no in the range of 10-20 and all 39 pts...

Also you can select single point focus (which you can use to select which point you want to focus), that's the mode I'm using...

Press and hold your AF button and turn either control dial to adjust the mode.

Hi, think AF-S is Single focus, AF-C is continuous focus, not sure about AF-A. and I think after you switch to AF-S, just use the sub command dial to switch to it. there is only 2 option I think, 1 you will see the AF box in the middle, the other you will see a series of boxes at the side.

AF-A is automatic focus. It figures if the object is moving or stationary and select the corresponding focus mode for it.

Hello all,

I have a question on the auto-focusing function on D7000, which I don't seem to be able to find the answer after reading the manual on AF-S, AF-C and AF-A:

I used to own a D70, which I can fix a point to auto-focus (usually I fixed it at the centre of the viewfinder).

In D7000, I don't seem to be able to do that now - the 39 autofocus points now 'decide' where to auto focus for me.

That's causing a problem for me when I tried to shoot, say photos on stage where there are a few actors, but I only want to auto focus on a particular actor.

I don't want to use Manual Focus on these scenes because I am not good enough to get a sharp photo using manual focusing.

Any help on how I can select where I want to autofocus within the viewfinder in D7000? Many thanks in advance.

Also, could be me englisland no good, but I still don't really understand how the AF-S, AF-C and AF-A works - they seem the same to me after reading it a couple of times. :confused:

Here is the answer

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157625743534389/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=36638842

Last edited:
Oh yes, now I remember, A will keep hunting for moving objects. ever tried that. but realised that I don't need that function, thus didn't try again. thanks so much for enlightening.

Not sure if the link by daredevil123 has answer your question, just wanna help becos I just met this problem an hour ago at nikon service center.
In D90, possibily D80 too, there is a AF button on the right of your top panel that allows you to hold and change AF modes. The button has now been remove. I had a hard time fiddling this out until Marcus from NSC points out the me that the button is now in the AF/MF switch near your lens mount. Yes, the button is on the flip switch itself. This is also used to switch to AF-F mode during video taking in liveview mode. Hold the button and turn your thumb dial to switch betw. AF-S, AF-C and AF-A mode.

FYI, AF-A mode is area auto focus. I think the sensor will based on contrast and your current AF point to focus on the subject you are shooting. I may not get my facts right and please correct if I;m wrong on this.

Hello all,

if you press the button on the af/m lever on the front of the body (below the lens release button) and turn the rear dial you will be able to select af-s, af-c or af-a mode.

af-s = single. the camera focus on something then locks focus unless you release the half press

af-c = continuous. the camera will change the focus point as it tracks focus on a subject - i.e. sports or action shots

af-a = automatic, the camera decides if it should lock or track the subject

if you press the af/m button and turn the front dial you get options for which/how many of the 39 focus points to use

- select auto and the camera decides

- select single and you can choose which of the 39 focus points to use. once selected it doesn't change

- select dynamic 9, 21 or 39 and the camera will change focus points as it sees fit

- select 3d and the camera will track the subject all over the frame.

the choice of af-s/af-c or af-a will depend on what you are shooting.

Hello all,

Um, I'm not sure if this solves your problem, but I use 3D mode when I want to autofocus on a particular spot because I can't manual focus either.

For D7000, I press the AF/MF button, and turn the front dial. The top panel will change and show 3D I think. Afterwards I can just use the controller to select a focus point.

(PS, can't be certain if it's front dial or back dial, cam not with me now! >_>) But errr hope it helps somehow!

:D
Thanks everyone! Will try it out tonight.

it has nothing to do with AF-S, AF-C and AF-A. switch the AF-Area mode to Single-Point AF. Page 94-95 in manual.

Hi,

I'm a Nikon D7000 user. If you want to use the one point AF-S without the camera's help 'AUTO'. You can try to switch the lens & Body to AF. After that lookout, there's a Button in front of the body at 'AF/M', press it then tune your Aperture. It will change from AUTO to One Point AF-S.

You couldn't see the 39 points in the camera but you can select where you want to focus at.
I hope it helps.

Thanks.

I am not sure about TS. I have the same problem to fix the focus point to the center as I used to but I could not get it done. After reading all the answers here, as good as I read the manual, I am still lost. Could some one just simply tell us the step to change the D7000 focusing to one fixed center point using type G lens? Not give us all the possible settings that end up I do not know what are the steps to achieve the single fixed point focusing. Unless there are more than one way to achieve the single point center focusing method.

Thank you.

Press the button on the af/m flip switch near the Len mount .. Or if you look facing the lens it is on the right side .. It is a button on the lever ..
Press it down.. Look into the view finder .. Turn the thump dial (the one that you change your shutter speed with).. Your will see that it changes from af-s to af-c to af-a .. Select af-s.
Still pressing on the button .. Now turn the finger dial (the one that you turn to change the aperture) .. You see that focusing points selections .. Turn till you see the one point cetner focusing

That's it

To change the focusing points for af-c and af- a .. Use this step .. Except that af-c or af-a mode is selected

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited:
I am not sure about TS. I have the same problem to fix the focus point to the center as I used to but I could not get it done. After reading all the answers here, as good as I read the manual, I am still lost. Could some one just simply tell us the step to change the D7000 focusing to one fixed center point using type G lens? Not give us all the possible settings that end up I do not know what are the steps to achieve the single fixed point focusing. Unless there are more than one way to achieve the single point center focusing method.

Thank you.

read ur manual, page 94-95

it has nothing to do with AF-S, AF-C and AF-A. switch the AF-Area mode to Single-Point AF. Page 94-95 in manual.

Press the button on the af/m flip switch near the Len mount .. Or if you look facing the lens it is on the right side .. It is a button on the lever ..
Press it down.. Look into the view finder .. Turn the thump dial (the one that you change your shutter speed with).. Your will see that it changes from af-s to af-c to af-a .. Select af-s.
Still pressing on the button .. Now turn the finger dial (the one that you turn to change the aperture) .. You see that focusing points selections .. Turn till you see the one point cetner focusing

That's it

To change the focusing points for af-c and af- a .. Use this step .. Except that af-c or af-a mode is selected

Hope this helps

Cheers

Baggioless has stated the correct method, unfortunately reading the manual make me more confused.

Lowlights is giving more concise method.

I pasted the reply from Nikon Technical support reply which I posted to them after leaving my request above. i got their reply when I reach home from Office.

Thank you for contacting Nikon Singapore Technical Support. Your case has been forwarded to us.
We will assist you from here.

You may notice that there is a lever indicating "AF" and "M" near the leans mount.
You are able to press and hold the lever and turn the front command dial to switch between auto area, 3D and single-point focus.

Now I think I understand AF-S, AF-C, AF-A it does not give us the single point focus. Is the dial in-front that show the single dot foucus is what we are looking for.

Try it. I confirm it works for me now.

Hi, I hope to share my experience after reading this thread after having taken sometime to get use to the D7000.

AF-S = Auto Focus Single Servo i.e. making the camera focus on a single spot. But the spot on yr VF or LV is not determined yet…I’ll explain further down below.

AF-C = Auto Focus Continous Servo i.e. making the camera focus on a subject and tracking the moving subject till you press the shutter button.

AF-A = Auto Focus Auto Servo i.e. allowing the camera to decide whether to focus on a spot or continuously focus and track a moving subject. You do not decide. The camera decides.

1) Having known the above capabilities of your camera, you now decide how you want yr camera to focus as far as the point-of-focus is concern. The most commonly use function will be AF-S. You look through yr VF or LV, aim at yr subject dead centre of yr VF/LV, press shutter button halfway to focus and lock-on, press fully the shutter button to capture the shot. Now the important thing is that you must push a lever (the lever is located just below yr navigation direction button ie. the 4 directional arrows) to the “L” position which means “LOCKED”. In doing this, you are telling the camera to apply auto focus on a single spot (AF-S) and also to lock-on the focusing spot which is the centre of yr VF or LV mode.

If you would like to recompose yr image where the subject is to be off-centre in yr VF/LV, then simply aim straight at subject, press shutter button halfway to get camera to correctly point at the subject of focus and lock on, then sametime press the AE lock button to lock on the expouse, recompose yr image with the subject off-centre, press fully down the shutter button.

You will also see a round white icon below the “L”. Sometimes, a person may wish to frame a scene but instead of doing the above, you can switch the lever to “O” instead of “L”. Now look at yr LV with the scene in front of you. With AF-S setting and lever set to “O”, you now can reposition the point-of-focus (usually right in the centre) now to any position in the LV by pressing the navigational cursor buttons. This will take sometime for you and the process can be pretty long before you actually get that shot that you want. Hver, it has it uses.

So far the above deals on configuring the camera to decide on the point-of-focus in yr VF/LV relating to stationery subject, moving subject or a combination of both.

My suggestion to start up is set to AF-S setting, shift lever to”L” position, get use to this basic function you are accustom with. Later can experiment with AF-C and AF-A settings as far as point-of-focus is concern.

2) The AF Single Point, 9 Point, 21 Point, 39 Points, 3D settings is for you to tell the camera “how it should focus” compared to the above which is “where it should focus”. If you have a group of friends standing in front and you want to take them with clear faces and best exposure, the best is to set to 39 points, point the camera at the centre person and snap. The camera will read the scene in front and does its best to have everybody in the image so that exposure for the scene is at its best. But say you want only a face in the group to be clear, set to single spot focus, aim at that face and snap away. The camera will read the scene where the face you have pointed for the single spot and will have the best exposure for that spot (the person's face) compared to the rest of the other faces in the group.

I hope to have provided some info on this. I had a hard time figuring this out too. However if any of the above info is incorrect, pls highlight so I can learn better also. Thank you.

Hi Gerard, very clear. I can understand the front part but I am lost on the LV L & O setting. I did not notice that and I myself need to read up or test out again. Anyway thank you.

LV would be needed for movie mode. i am not sure L & O setting is meant for picture taking or movie setting. Have not read up yet.