D7000 and lens combo

calezero

Mar 15, 2009
Hi bros,

need some advise and recommendations.
I'm thinking of getting the D7000 next month and i was advised not to get the kit lens. Anybody agrees with this?

If i just get the body, then i was thinking of getting the following lens.

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO-M DG Macro

I'm into street photography and portraits.
The above lens sufficient?

Thanks a million...

Hmm macro lens for street? might be a bit strange but no one says u can't do that. u could consider a tamron 17-50 f2.8 / nikon 17-55 f2.8 if budget allows. imo probably quite a good range for street so far.

The kit lens isn't that bad after all, but with a constant f2.8 will be better appreciated in the long run as u get to play more with the lens.

Of course i'll let the more experienced users comment on the rest. U have any budget?

Last edited:
Hi bros,

I'm thinking of getting the D7000 next month and i was advised not to get the kit lens. Anybody agrees with this?

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D

Thanks a million...

did you say street photo and portraitures?... consider the sigma 50-150 F2.8 or tokina 50-135 F2.8...
if you can afford it.. bite the bullet... get a 70-200...

thanks for all the suggestions!
definitely will check out the sigma and tokina recommendations.
but any idea where i can find the price guides for these brands? the price guide sections are not really updated.

Hi bros,

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D

Thanks a million...

for me i just combo d7k with 50mm haha, cheap and good lens

actually a 50mm lens can do quite a lot of job well enough.. a zoom lens, unless it has a constant F, otherwise it will be quite not advisable to buy unless you are in a tight budget..

ok....been reading up abit more.
any idea how the tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) fits my needs?

Hi bros,

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D

Thanks a million...

Zoom lens....depend what you take but for me, I bought Nikon 70-300VR ED rather than sigma...It's fastest lens even same F stop, no regret.

I say the 35m 1.8. Fantastic lens. = )

I say the 35m 1.8. Fantastic lens. = )

+1

IMO, the 35mm is a better choice than the 50mm. Its a more usable focal length. The bokeh is average though, but it does what it does well. If you are just beginning to indulge yourself in the DSLR journey, be sure to keep money coming in, as the BBB virus will devour you sooner or later.

As for my personal recommendations, buying 3 lenses at one go is not a good idea. First one to get is the general walk about lens, which as suggested by a few others, the tamron 17-50 or the nikon variant. From there you acknowledge the limitations and expand your arsenal.

thats for all the advice bros!
very helpful and i think i'll get only 1 lens to start with.

i've narrowed it down to these 3 since it fits my budget.

1. just get the kit lens (18-105)
2. Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM
3. Tamrom SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

For the 50mm, i was reading a new f1.8G is coming out soon.
So maybe I'll wait for that to come out.

thats for all the advice bros!
very helpful and i think i'll get only 1 lens to start with.

i've narrowed it down to these 3 since it fits my budget.

1. just get the kit lens (18-105)
2. Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM
3. Tamrom SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

For the 50mm, i was reading a new f1.8G is coming out soon.
So maybe I'll wait for that to come out.

I'll personally reccomend skipping (1) unless u are new or unsure of which lens to get.

I paired my D7k with Tammy 17-50 VC and it works great.

As for the 50/1.8G, rather u get the cheaper AF-D ver unless there is such a good bokeh to justify the price difference.

I'll personally reccomend skipping (1) unless u are new or unsure of which lens to get.

I paired my D7k with Tammy 17-50 VC and it works great.

As for the 50/1.8G, rather u get the cheaper AF-D ver unless there is such a good bokeh to justify the price difference.

I agree with Tammy 17-50 on the D7k. Although I am using a D90 now, I very much appreciate the Tamron 17-50mm. It's a fast lens and the bokeh effect is also very attractive. I have since given up on zoom lens cos I don't have budget to get a fixed aperture zoom. :(

My D90 came with the 18-105mm. I only use that when I need the extra reach. Else, the Tammy 17-50 is always mounted. When I bought my 17-50, the seller says that once I got the 17-50, I won't look back and can even put the 18-105 into the dry cabinet. Now I understand why... ;)

Thanks again for all the comments!
Been reading up on the Tamron and been pretty impressed with it!

Looks like my mind's made up.
Will get the D7000 body-only and the Tamron 17-50.

Will just wait for next month's PC Show to compare the prices.

Can't wait!

why not D5100 with Tamron 17-50? (do you need focusing motor in body?)
you then have more cash to get additional lenses.
imho, lenses are better investment than bodies.

yeah the 35 1.8g is a good choice.. fren using it, quite amazing for its price..

but then again.. with ur current budget..

i believe that a 2nd hand 24-70 f2.8 and a mid range body like D5100 might be possible. I say "might be".

translates to approx 35-105mm on FF.

Thanks for all the advice bros.
Previously I had considered the D5100 as well. But after some thought I decided to go with the D7000 especially when I know I'm not going to upgrade the body for the next 4 to 5 years.

Also, reading Ken Rockwell's review on the D7000 didn't help much. Truly poisonous!!!

Anyway, will be taking some of the advice here and go with the 35mm instead of the 50mm :)

Previously I had considered the D5100 as well. But after some thought I decided to go with the D7000 especially when I know I'm not going to upgrade the body for the next 4 to 5 years.

Also, reading Ken Rockwell's review on the D7000 didn't help much. Truly poisonous!!!

Anyway, will be taking some of the advice here and go with the 35mm instead of the 50mm :)

hello to u =). grats in getting ur d7000 soon =), im using 1 now and i combo it with 50mm from the beginning till now =x. nv took it off since then, haha thats just me =).

Bro, can tell me why you choose 35mm ? and not the 50mm ??

Bro, can tell me why you choose 35mm ? and not the 50mm ??

50mm is abit tight for crop sensors.. esp when indoors..
Got poisoned by BBB syndrome.. Now abit regret cos dont use much indoors :(