D700 vs D800

Just to remember, for every single photo, you must downsample to 57% to get such better ISO for D800, otherwise its ISO is worse than D700 without downsample.

Just to remember, for every single photo, you must downsample to 57% to get such better ISO for D800, otherwise its ISO is worse than D700 without downsample.

Then you want to expand the D700 images to 36MP to compare? To compare fairly, you have to make the images the same size. Downsampling the higher res image makes more sense than upsampling the low res image.

Then you want to expand the D700 images to 36MP to compare? To compare fairly, you have to make the images the same size. Downsampling the higher res image makes more sense than upsampling the low res image.

Hi brapodam, yeah, that's right. Personally I don't like the idea of downsampling every photo with high ISO to achieve better results. Canon 5DMkIII looks more like a replacement for Nikon D700.

An article on whether D800 is a D700 replacement or not

D700 is really a great camera.

Although I love the new cam but I am still in the state of mind to consider sticking to get a new D700

I only hope that it can come down to a more affortable price.

Last check D700 is still at $3K

:(

in my mind....the d700 vs d800 debate is kinda moot. these 2 (to the pros and amateur enthusiasts that are more their target market) represent very different cameras with very different functions.

d800 video = wedding videographers/ amateur film makers etc.
d800 36 mp = prev d3x shooters or even those who missed out on d3x because of price will be super-happy
d800e = serious (as in those pushing to break boundaries) nature/ landscape photographers now get more resolution to play with, more cropping options

i'm thinking that a lot of these may not even be d700 owners - like in the video category, perhaps even 5DMkII users may 'jump ship'. i know many firms covering events with nikon for stills and canon for video. they probably can save quite a bit of money with just one system (shared lenses) for stills and video - not to mention same batteries/ same memory card formats/ same everything else....

as a matter of fact, i think there should be comparisons of d800 vs d3x - same MP monster, better ISO?
if nikon manages to pull off a win for d800 (vs d3x), that's already a very big win.

after the release of D800 and D4, it seems there is a hole in between - where is the direct replacement for D700 - an affordable full frame camera with high ISO capabilities, low MP and good AF system? The 5DMkIII looks like the best option but it is Canon.

Last edited:
Coming from dx d90 body, it depends now on the price difference of d700 and d800...

I still find d800 more appealing.

D700 users might not upgrade esp their camera is very good already.

after the release of D800 and D4, it seems there is a hole in between - where is the direct replacement for D700 - an affordable full frame camera with high ISO capabilities, low MP and good AF system? The 5DMkIII looks like the best option but it is Canon.
Some people are speculating that the D7000 replacement will be the new top of the line DX camera, and the D400 will be the new entry level FX camera (something like a D700 replacement)

plasticeye said:
Coming from dx d90 body, it depends now on the price difference of d700 and d800...

Ya.

If the price is within the 1k
I most likely go for the new technology.

But unlikely D700 will have its pricing close to D7000.

ya, but if 5DMKIII price same or higher than D800.... then still not a replacement.... $$$$ wise..... of course if they really price much better than D800.... then some may well jump.... but looking at it now.... like likely the MKIII will be higher price than D800....:sweat:

yups. once again, it just depends on usage - e.g. for the folk who use their d700 with their old manual nikkors, no need to change -> no need better AF, no need greater MP, no need to pay more :p

ya, but if 5DMKIII price same or higher than D800.... then still not a replacement.... $$$$ wise..... of course if they really price much better than D800.... then some may well jump.... but looking at it now.... like likely the MKIII will be higher price than D800....:sweat:

Well, i think that for some folk, the $$$ may not be that big an issue.

what's more, if you consider that for SGD 3k-ish range, one can keep changing camera every 3 to 4 yrs, it's very very good deal. (depreciation only around 1000 depending on when and how much you sell old set)

Well, i think that for some folk, the $$$ may not be that big an issue.

what's more, if you consider that for SGD 3k-ish range, one can keep changing camera every 3 to 4 yrs, it's very very good deal. (depreciation only around 1000 depending on when and how much you sell old set)

yap.... some got much deeper pocket and is not matter of whether to change but when and what to change....:devil:

if there is a "hole" for a higher ISO quality, low MP system, it should be priced below the D800 if going by the previous D3s-D3x pricing... otherwise, the D700 is still available :)

as for high ISO quality difference between 5DmkIII and D800, let's wait for the reviews of the processed RAW files of the actual products :)

A lot of people do not realise that the real acid test for the imaging quality of any camera is when you actually print the image. This test will proof once and for all if the D800 is much better than the D700:

Choose an appropriate test scene, use the same lens, same setting, same high ISO 3200 or 6400, shoot one image with the D700 and one with the D800. Print out the 2 images in A3, and A0, using proper high end printing (eg, Epson PRO inkject photo printers)

1) Put the two A3 images side by side and see which one is better.

2) Put the two A0 images side by side and see which is better.

For case 1, A3 prints, I believe the D800 image will only be marginally better, simply because the D700 is already so good, and at A3 size, we probably can't tell much diff between the 12MP or 36MP.

For case 2, A0 prints, I believe the D800 will win the D700 hands down due to 3 times more pixels. But then how many people here

Why is everyone talking about high iso? For me it is never found D700 high iso a problem. If the D800 is better, even by a little bit, it is good enough for me.

I only need like ISO3200 the most.

What I sometimes find lacking in the D700 is

1) lack of video
2) not enough DR
3) AF can always be better as there are always missed focus shots.

I think the D800 improved on everyone of them

I also just use about 1000 iso