D700 vs 5D Mark II

You guys change system like change underwear.....:bsmilie:

I'm wearing a "G String" now :bigeyes::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Some say that the color of Canon is better for portraiture while Nikon is better for nature shots.

Personally I don't care that much, what I want is a constant color tone and gradient throughout the shots that are given to the clients. And at the end of the day they are happy with the results produced.

As photographers ourselves, how many can tell the dslr brand of every image that are taken after post processing? :think:

If so how many of your clients can tell? :bsmilie:

Not everyone... :bsmilie:

Oopss...excluding you. haha

By the way, I agree with your comment. :) Once, pictured is PP who cares whether it is from C or N or O or P..whatever. The color would have been totally different from the original image.

Nikon color, Canon color....all are marketing tools from the manufacturer to differentiate themselves from a commoditized product, DSLR.

You guys change system like change underwear.....:bsmilie:

Some people like to change system.
Some people like to live in two different systems, and use together on the same time.

Regarding this "underwear" metaphor.

You could change your underwear, but can't use two underwear together on the same time

:bsmilie:

Some people like to live in two different systems, and use together on the same time.

You could change your underwear, but can't use two underwear together on the same time

Or you could wear your underwear outside your pants and be a hero :bsmilie:

Or you could wear your underwear outside your pants and be a hero :bsmilie:

Wear disposable underwear.. anytime can dispose of and buy a new one, or can wear two at the same time :bsmilie:
Also feels cooler.. :D

When I was in primary school, a friend of mine actually wore 2 underwear once. That was when he knew that he was going to be caned by the teacher. So in order to minimize pain, he wore 2 or may be 3... ;)

This is a Quick Answer, No doubts at all to the Question:

I would pick the 5DII over the D700 any time!

To me there is no fight at all. Cos image quality is what I'm after and the 5DII is superior. And a host of other reasons. Eg: I started out with Canon and the D700 is nothing so fantastic in price and features to make me jump ship.

It would make more sense if the dilemma is between D700 and the old 5D.

However, as with all decisions to make, it really boils down to what you want to photograph and what you're willing to give up. Both has its pros and cons. Find out their differences, and evaluate for yourself.

Not sure about ladies...but for guys the D700 has better ergonomics and when coupled with FF lenses, the images are super sharp and noise is almost non existent unless you snap at high iso. Colour rendition especially skin tones are vivid.

When you make a sweeping statement that D700 is nothing so fantastic in price and features makes me wonder whether you know enough what D700 cannot do? :eek:

When I was in primary school, a friend of mine actually wore 2 underwear once. That was when he knew that he was going to be caned by the teacher. So in order to minimize pain, he wore 2 or may be 3... ;)

That is one of the trick in every schoolboy rule book. Some would add their baby brother's pampers too. :bsmilie:

After shooting 1 wedding with 2 5D2s instead of 2 D700s, I've come up with more suggestions and feelings.

- Autofocus of 5D2 isn't unreliable per say, but certainly abit retarded vs my old 1DsII.
- AI Servo at f1.4 is almost impossible to use. I don't even get 4 keepers (tact sharp) out of 10 pictures under sunlit conditions. In the extreme case for march in at dinner, I had 3 keepers in over 30 shots. Good enough, but very stressful. On a D700, the keep rate is up to 90 percent for AF-C at f1.4. Comparison on 5D2 + 85L II/50L vs D700 + 85 f1.4D/50 f1.4G. Do note that the 50L autofocuses faster than the 50 f1.4G.
- I shot SRAW1 and the 9.9 mpx files take longer to load vs the lossless compressed D700 12 mpx 14-bit raw files in LR3.
- Banding issue takes place in extreme contrasty darks. These files are usually perfectly salvagable in D700. Don't worry though, LR3 noise reduction solves it well.
- As i've noticed a long time ago, there is more "recoil" after a shot with 5D2.

Now i'm set to get 2 systems. There is one lens I will definitely keep for 5D2, that would be the 50 f1.2L which is utterly beautiful, especially for video. Also, a 135L would be good to supplement since nikon does not offer an affordable 135.

Hey, im just curious, is the Canon 5DM2 a FF camera or a crop?

The Canon 5D MkII is a full frame camera. The Canon 1Ds Mk III is also a full frame. All other Canon's are crop cameras.