D700 user...fall in!!!

Big Kahuna

Dec 15, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
I tried searching but cannot find any dedicated thread for this camera, apologize if this thread is extra...tell me and I will lock it :lovegrin:

At last, got my cam last weekend.....it's for my CNY trip and to beat the rumored Feb price hike....took a few casual shots....and am amazed by how solid it is interm of noise control, sharpness, white balance accuracy, speed all the way to ISO 3200.....beyond that I can take my room with virtually no light at all (very good if use to catch monkey).....however there is some learning curve on the functions menu though compared to my previous D70....I am still trying to figure out how I can switch off the focus assist light and focus lock beep....really reluctant to flip the manual :sweat:

Fellow D700 user, care to share what do you like and what you dislike about this cam? :kiss:

Last edited:
Yes Sir! User reporting in, SIR! :bsmilie:

Looking for a similar thread too ... finally u started it.

Too early for me to do a proper assessment as I also just got it, 2 days back to be precised ... all I know is I'm deeply in love with it, for now. :lovegrin::lovegrin::lovegrin:

Hope to hear from others ... and any tips, please feel free to share ya. ;)

Got my D700 with 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8 a week ago before the rumored price hike and fell in love with it! The solid built quality as mentioned is truly awesome and what I am really amazed was the high iso performance with my 105 VR micro handheld! Auto active D lighting is really cool too!

The down side IMO is the lack of mass storage option in the camera which means more work in terms of software upgrading or new profile uploading (like the additional picture control menu) . Need a card reader to do the job. You can also no longer access the pictures from the camera folders directly from your desktop as a storage device pop-up but onli via softwares.

TO turn off the focus assist light and focus lock beep, you can go to Custom shooting menu under a ( auto focus ) item a9 Built int ad assist ill and turn it off and for the 'beep' you can go to item d1 ( Beep ) under the same Custom shooting menu and turn it off as well.

hope this helps =)

Last edited:
I remember getting this baby a couple of months back.

The manual was so thick .... I didn't know where to begin! :bsmilie:

I recommend getting Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the D700 if you are the type of camera user who wants to understand 100% of every nook and cranny of your new camera.

1. Great Dynamic Range -> Shoot in 14 bit NEF RAW. Allows for amazing tweaks in post processing.

2. Can handle tricky backlit situations very well due to 1 above.

3. Is a mini version of the D3. Adds to the cool factor.

4. Full frame, all your Nikkor lenses look and work as they should have at their focal lengths.

5. High ISO Low Noise for low light situations. "sees" much better than your normal human eyes. For eg, I could take a non-flash hand held picture of a pitch dark room and the picture which came out looked like a normal daylight situation with my f/1.4 prime lens.

6. Excellent battery performance. This is the first camera I have had whereby I can shoot continuously for 1 whole day (about 900+ photos) on a single battery charge. My spare battery is usually on standby mode only.

7. Excellent in low temperature conditions. Related to point 6 above. Have shot at sub-zero winter temperatures in Europe and my camera can continue to function with indifference. Finally a camera which does not suffer from the zero battery syndrome in cold places.

8. ? function button contains a lot of information and is really useful when you are shooting in the field.

9. Very good ergonomics. Can't explain it but I prefer the handling of this camera over the Canon line of DSLRs.

Dislikes :-

1. At 1.1 kilo (with battery), is still quite heavy.

2. The Nikon mirror slap is quite loud. I always feel guilty when I snap pictures in holy places of worship.

Okay, famous last words (especially in a photography forum :bsmilie: ) but I still have to say it, "The D700 is the last camera you will ever need!"

Last edited:
I remember getting this baby a couple of months back.

The manual was so thick .... I didn't know where to begin! :bsmilie:

I recommend getting Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the D700 if you are the type of camera user who wants to understand 100% of every nook and cranny of your new camera.

1. Great Dynamic Range -> Shoot in 14 bit NEF RAW. Allows for amazing tweaks in post processing.

2. Can handle tricky backlit situations very well due to 1 above.

3. Is a mini version of the D3. Adds to the cool factor.

4. Full frame, all your Nikkor lenses look and work as they should have at their focal lengths.

5. High ISO Low Noise for low light situations. "sees" much better than your normal human eyes. For eg, I could take a non-flash hand held picture of a pitch dark room and the picture which came out looked like a normal daylight situation with my f/1.4 prime lens.

6. Excellent battery performance. This is the first camera I have had whereby I can shoot continuously for 1 whole day (about 900+ photos) on a single battery charge. My spare battery is usually on standby mode only.

7. Excellent in low temperature conditions. Related to point 6 above. Have shot at sub-zero winter temperatures in Europe and my camera can continue to function with indifference. Finally a camera which does not suffer from the zero battery syndrome in cold places.

8. ? function button contains a lot of information and is really useful when you are shooting in the field.

9. Very good ergonomics. Can't explain it but I prefer the handling of this camera over the Canon line of DSLRs.

Dislikes :-

1. At 1.1 kilo (with battery), is still quite heavy.

2. The Nikon mirror slap is quite loud. I always feel guilty when I snap pictures in holy places of worship.

Okay, famous last words (especially in a photography forum :bsmilie: ) but I still have to say it, "The D700 is the last camera you will ever need!"

If you use additional batteries like the EN-EL4a which has a capacity of 2500mAh will go to the distance of 2500 shots before the battery goes flat. And you will get 8fps as well....

If you use additional batteries like the EN-EL4a which has a capacity of 2500mAh will go to the distance of 2500 shots before the battery goes flat. And you will get 8fps as well....

that is going to cost alot considering u need to buy the MB-D10+EN-EL4a+charger :sweat:

Got mine on 3 Jan... claim $700 from MOE, trade in d300 plus 12-24.. Cannot help caressing(maybe wrong spelling... hehehe!) it everyday. Added with some nice picture controls and settings from NIKONIANS. Never been happier. MBD10 with 2 elel4a and 2 bl3...Now thinking of selling my 70-200 to get the 14-24. No chance to take long range shots(now that my staff know that I am gunning them down at long range!).
The cam has somewhat rekindled my passion for taking photos. Of course my 3 year old girl will always provide me with her modelling. Looking forward to my CNY trip to take more. But then again my S100FS is better on the weight side. Temptations....NJOY

Last edited:
I am wondering if any of you kena yesterday 4D...second price.... 0700....me unfortunately bought the wrong thing...I bought the serial number instead....so never touch of coz :sweatsm:

Got my D700 with 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8 a week ago before the rumored price hike and fell in love with it! You can also no longer access the pictures from the camera folders directly from your desktop as a storage device pop-up but onli via softwares.

Wow u must have spend alot. Really depressing when i read abt the -5% growth. Wanted to get a 14-24 for my d700. Anyway, i have no problem accessing the pictures from my camera folder directly.

I tried searching but cannot find any dedicated thread for this camera, apologize if this thread is extra...tell me and I will lock it :lovegrin

I have a few tips to share but at work now so no time to type too long. Will share it together with some links. For newbies to d*** like me, you can find an excel table on the net to try setting up your shooting menu ABCD and set up menu ABCD. I used the excel table as a guide.

You can also try the AF-On button with AF-C and it is very very useful more many situations. Write more later.

Wow u must have spend alot. Really depressing when i read abt the -5% growth. Wanted to get a 14-24 for my d700. Anyway, i have no problem accessing the pictures from my camera folder directly.

I did empty quite abit of my dear savings in it, but I guess its a worthy investment :)

How do u access pics from the camera folder directly? mind to share?
I am using a mac o.s 10.4 with aperture2 software and normally after plucking in my D200 or D300 they will pop-up a mass storage device icon (juz like any other thumbdrive or Ex HDD icon) on my desktop but my new D700 did not...I can only access my files thru aperture. An external card reader is required to upgrade the firmware of the camera now, unlike the D300.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
that is going to cost alot considering u need to buy the MB-D10+EN-EL4a+charger :sweat:

Well.....the thing is no matter how expensive it is, I just need to cover a 1/2 day event it will cover my cost (cost as in the additional add ons) liao. As a working photographer, if there is a need to use it you have to buy it. Reason for getting the D700 instead of the D3 is because of the price.

One D3 can buy almost two basic D700s. Just some top up for the MB-D10, BL-3 and EN-EL4a and the MH-21charger.

Would you rather go to an event with only 1 camera not thinking if your camera will fail? After all it's all electronics and you will never when it will go wrong. So buying two D700 with power battery packs would be my ideal choice.

2 X D3 = $13,000 plus.....

2 X D700 = $7,200 (if you plus the 2 X EN-EL4a, 2 X BL-3 1 MH-21 Battery charger and MB-D10) would cost you about around $900 plus per camera.... which means a total of only $9,100 for 2 camera bodies with almost the same function as a D3.

The only thing D3 has advantage is the double CF card slot but then again, whack a 16GB CF card would be able to last a few events. And just one 1fps more than the D700 which does not really matters that much to most event photographers.

Last edited:
Just got mine today... D700 with 24-70mm lens..

How much is the MBD10 and the BL-31 and charger? Anyone

How do u access pics from the camera folder directly? mind to share?
I am using a mac o.s 10.4 with aperture2 software and normally after plucking in my D200 or D300 they will pop-up a mass storage device icon (juz like any other thumbdrive or Ex HDD icon) on my desktop but my new D700 did not...I can only access my files thru aperture. An external card reader is required to upgrade the firmware of the camera now, unlike the D300.

Thanks for sharing.

No special tip here. The OS i use is vista. Mine just plug in and it just pop up. Not sure why urs didnt work. sorry

Reporting for duty sir!

Got mine around 2 weeks ago. Got to use it for a full day event a few days later.

Wanted to resist (given the economy and that photography is just a hobby not a job for me) but gave in in the end and also got a 24-70mm 2.8.

2) Large bright viewfinder (loads better compared to the D300)
3) The AF mode switch (Single to Continuous) is not prone to accidental knocking as compared to the D300). I tend to hit that by accident quite a few times on the D300 then wondered why my focus and recompose is not working.
4) Can use my existing MB-D10
5) 50mm prime back at normal FOV as opposed to cropped view
6) Info button provides quick access to settings to change Fn button really quickly
7) High ISO! and less noise at other ISO settings
8) Switch to close off viewfinder to avoid light entering from the eyepiece side for tripod shots
9) Instant liveview from Fn button settting
10) Punchy colours even at standard setting (oops... may be due to the new lens)
11) A bit irrelevant but changing to eyepiece to DK-19 eyecup provides a better experience
12) Vanity - owning full frame digital camera :p
13) can update SB900 firmware
14) Can still use my 12-24 f/4 on it (from 18mm onwards)
15) Maybe my imagination ??? but the blackout time from mirror is shorter
16) Virtual horizon in many modes (incuding LiveView)
... and the list goes on

Dislikes
1) There goes my $$$! (Makes me want to get a 14-24 too but can't afford to)
2) Does not have the masking out for DX lenses (though practically I wouldn't really use DX on this)
3) The shutter/mirror while making a really solid slap sound... is really loud when you are in a quiet environment
4) The method of opening up the CF card cover (still prefer the switch of the D300)
5) The coverage of AF points over a smaller area

Not too many complaints :)

Love it a lot....

Just got mine today... D700 with 24-70mm lens..

How much is the MBD10 and the BL-31 and charger? Anyone

from CP MB-D10 = $340, BL-31 = $50, EN-EL4a = $170, MH-21 charger = $190
total $750. :bigeyes:
price is just for info, if you are interested, maybe call up a few shops to ask for the bundle pricing see whether you can get a better price... I was lazy to go around to look for better deals... so I just settled at CP (though I'm sure there are cheaper rates i guess) hope i'm not violating any rules here posting the pricing...:sweat:

but coming from D200 with MB-D200, the quality and built of the MB-D10 is really great, shutter release button has similar sensitivity as the one on the D700, not like the MB-D200. and the additional joystick on the grip is really useful... was cursing y they didn't include that on the MB-200. would recommend getting the MB-D10. :thumbsup:
as for the EN-EL4a... well you do the math urself considering the extra weight+extra cost for the expensive battery+BL-31 adapter+charger which will cost more then the grip, in exchange for additional 3fps(which can be achieved by AA batteries which the AA battery adapter comes with MB-D10) and longer batt life... :sweat:

Two lines:

(a) A big jump (foreward) from my D70S

(b) Back to my good old 35mm format days ~ FM, F100 :)

from CP MB-D10 = $340, BL-31 = $50, EN-EL4a = $170, MH-21 charger = $190
total $750. :bigeyes:
price is just for info, if you are interested, maybe call up a few shops to ask for the bundle pricing see whether you can get a better price... I was lazy to go around to look for better deals... so I just settled at CP (though I'm sure there are cheaper rates i guess) hope i'm not violating any rules here posting the pricing...:sweat:

but coming from D200 with MB-D200, the quality and built of the MB-D10 is really great, shutter release button has similar sensitivity as the one on the D700, not like the MB-D200. and the additional joystick on the grip is really useful... was cursing y they didn't include that on the MB-200. would recommend getting the MB-D10. :thumbsup:
as for the EN-EL4a... well you do the math urself considering the extra weight+extra cost for the expensive battery+BL-31 adapter+charger which will cost more then the grip, in exchange for additional 3fps(which can be achieved by AA batteries which the AA battery adapter comes with MB-D10) and longer batt life... :sweat:

ok guys......please take note

1) The consistency of a 8 AAs is not very accurate. As long as one of the batteries goes weak, you will have trouble using the grip as the power will go off. I have tried with all new fresh Akaline Batteries and also the Ni-Mh batteries. Problem.

2) Problem no.2 is 8 AA is heavier than one EN-EL4a

3) 8AAs will last you about 900-1000 shots......EN-EL4a will last 1900-2500 (depending how you use it)

4) Charging time is about the same but since EN-EL4a has internal memory circuit (to tell you when you recondition the batteries and when the 4 cycles life is up)

Taken from an article....

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/news/e3iba088905bb5e40482c1e282b67590dbd

The new Nikon D700
Nikon Unveils D700 digital SLR -- a D3 on a Diet (UPDATED: New Battery Info)

July 1, 2008
Dan Havlik

If you liked the image quality and spectacular low-noise/low-light shooting ability of the Nikon D3 but wanted something smaller and less expensive, you're going to find the new Nikon D700 ($2,999) very interesting. With the same 12.1-megapixel full-frame FX CMOS sensor as the D3 but with a camera body that's 20 percent smaller and lighter than that digital SLR, the much buzzed about D700 is stripped down in size but is designed with the same pro-level performance.

Even better for pros on a tight budget – yes, that means most pros these days – the D700 is $2,000 less than the D3. Despite the lower price, the D700 is not a lot different from the D3 in its feature set. Like the D3, it boasts a 200-6400 ISO range with "High" settings that let you shoot in the dark at up to 25,600 ISO.

The D700 has the same Scene Recognition system; the same 51-point Autofocus system with 3D tracking; the same Live View in two modes; same 14-bit A/D converter; same 16-bit image processing; same 3-inch LCD etc. etc.

On the downside, the D700's battery life -- 1000 shots on a single charge, according to CIPA -- is not nearly as long as the D3 which can capture approximately 4300 shots. Add on a MB-D10 Multi-Power battery grip ($249) and the D700's battery life jumps to 1900 shots, but only when you pair it with on EN-EL4a lithium ion battery (which costs extra.) The grip will also give the D700 8 frames per second shooting speed. (The other big difference between the two cameras is the D3 uses dual CompactFlash card slots while the D700 only has one slot.)

Below is a breakdown -- provided by Nikon -- of the battery life of the D700 in various configurations versus the D3.

• D700 with one EN-EL3e 1000 shots CIPA / 2500 shots Nikon.
• D700 with MB-D10 + one EN-EL3e approx. 1000 shots CIPA / 2500 shots Nikon Measurement Standard.
• D700 with MB-D10 + one EN-EL4a approx. 1900 shots CIPA / 4300 shots Nikon Measurement Standard.
• D700 with MB-D10 + eight AA batteries approx. 700 shots CIPA / 1000 shots Nikon Measurement Standard.

• CIPA standard for EN-EL4a for D3 is 4300 shots (Nikon Measurement Standard is 4700 shots)

I would only recommend to use 8AA batteries IF your EN-EL4a batteries and EN-EL3e batteries are totally DEAD.....

Last edited:
Hmmm....there are so many posts regarding the grip and the battery life.

I belong to the category of D700 users who will never ever buy nor use a grip.

In the first instance, the reason why I bought the D700 instead of the D3 was primarily because of the smaller body!

A D700 + Grip is going to slightly bigger than a D3.

Anyway, the CIPA standard for battery life is 1000 shots for a single battery charge. That's quite close to my experience of getting 900+ shots from using some flash + Menu operation + Playback etc.