D700 + SB800, Flash fires by itself sometimes

Ironman

Nov 14, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Dear all,

does anyone encounters such problem? Tested on both my SB800 the flash fires intermittently. but no such problem with my D300.

I suspect there's something wrong with my D700... anyone encounters similar problem like mine?

Oh, I think this is a similar problem that I encountered with my D200 and SB800.

In fact, 2 of my friends also have the same problems with their D200 and SB800. Other user are also having issues with this combination, but the SB800 works fine with my D2X or F4E without any problems.

http://petesscribbles.blogspot.com/2009/04/nikon-d200-and-sb800-flash-problem.html

its normally the SB800 hotshoe plate having problem. did happen to me before. U can try sending in for servicing.

it seemed like a common problem that does occur with nikon flash.... have experienced this before with D200 and SB600 flash....
but never with the D700 and sb600......

Yeah, have experienced this.. I've always thought its due to some kind of short circuiting when the metal bits make unintended contact. (I'm speculating though, not sure :dunno:)

it seemed like a common problem that does occur with nikon flash.... have experienced this before with D200 and SB600 flash....
but never with the D700 and sb600......

Exactly the same experience for me too.

Lucky I didn't sell off the flash first.

After trying to clean the contacts etc etc, I still couldn't fix the problem for me and sending it to NSC for repair didn't seem worth it for this "minor" problem.

Maybe it's time for TS to get a SB900. Haha.

Exactly the same experience for me too.

Lucky I didn't sell off the flash first.

After trying to clean the contacts etc etc, I still couldn't fix the problem for me and sending it to NSC for repair didn't seem worth it for this "minor" problem.

Maybe it's time for TS to get a SB900. Haha.

tested on SB900 too... also got this problem... i've already suspected the problem lies with my d700...

spoken to nsc, likely caused be the spring... see when got time go down give them a check... :)

experience this quite abit with my d200. word from some pros is that the d200 hot shoe plate doesnt mate perfectly with the sb800. at one time my set was terrible. just kept flashing. but after some cleaning of the contacts and some more use the problem has faded away. still occurs occasionally but other wise fine. suspected the rain as well cos during that time i d been shooting in thunderstorms. have u been shooting in the rain? maybe water got in abit n u should leave with all doors open in a dry cab. or... perhaps the d700 uses the same hot shoe?..

Realized its indeed the D700 hotshoe problem as I just got a 2nd hand set that exactly has this issue.

Will be sending to NSC for repair. anybody has any idea how much it cost ?

Realized its indeed the D700 hotshoe problem as I just got a 2nd hand set that exactly has this issue.

Will be sending to NSC for repair. anybody has any idea how much it cost ?
i'm gonna send my 2nd set in too... just started to have the problem.

can't remember the cost...

Had this problem on my D700. NSC replaced the entire hotshoe. Part not expensive, but the service to do it is. :)

MIne D700 having problem with the SB900 too. NSC replaced the entire hotshoe. The flash is too heavy for the hotshoe. I think the problem will still come back soon or later.:sweat:

ok.. juz sent in for servicing today and was quoted $148+

but a bummer thing happen...
I had my battery in the D700 when the staff took in for problem validation, when they took out the d700, my batt is missing.. and technician claim battery is not inside.. I've juz called them to check CCTV .. :(

ok.. juz sent in for servicing today and was quoted $148+

but a bummer thing happen...
I had my battery in the D700 when the staff took in for problem validation, when they took out the d700, my batt is missing.. and technician claim battery is not inside.. I've juz called them to check CCTV .. :(

:mad2:

din't they go through your items when you send it in for servicing?

back then, they will check what you have passed to them, such as lens cap, body cap etc. and list them out on a list and you must counter check and sign.

did they stop the practise?

:mad2:

din't they go through your items when you send it in for servicing?

back then, they will check what you have passed to them, such as lens cap, body cap etc. and list them out on a list and you must counter check and sign.

did they stop the practise?

the female counter staff didnt do that when she bring in my cam for verification with the technician to get an initial quote of the repair cost.. She only list it down after bringing out the camera when I had affirm and agree to send in for the repair.. that is when I realize the battery was missing... haiz.. if only she had verified with me the cam accessories before bringing the cam into the tech room.. this issue will not have happen...

Yesterday .. She had given me a call that the CCTV is been reviewed and no discrepancy found.. I've asked if I could review it as Im pretty certain my battery is inside.. argh.

the female counter staff didnt do that when she bring in my cam for verification with the technician to get an initial quote of the repair cost.. She only list it down after bringing out the camera when I had affirm and agree to send in for the repair.. that is when I realize the battery was missing... haiz.. if only she had verified with me the cam accessories before bringing the cam into the tech room.. this issue will not have happen...

Yesterday .. She had given me a call that the CCTV is been reviewed and no discrepancy found.. I've asked if I could review it as Im pretty certain my battery is inside.. argh.

oic... hopefully u get to see the CCTV.