D700 Overexpose

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQQQzxc

Apr 22, 2011
Most of the time whenever i take a shot , it would be so different from what i see and ended up over expose. im new user to nikon . my 5d mark ii doesnt seem to have this problem .

im using 50mm 1.4G

Can anybody help me out ?

Maybe its your metering? Or probably the screen setting? Are you viewing on computer or on camera screen? Is exposure compensation set on 0?

post a sample pic with intact exif, perhaps we can help me better that way

I'm guessing he might had mixed up the direction of the exposure meter where nikon and canon is by default in the opposite direction.

I will post it soon

Overexposed.jpg
[/IMG]

Nikon D700
50mm F/1.4G
L(4256x2832), FX - 11.7MB
50mm - ISO 200
1/320s - F/1.4
0EV - Cloud , 0 , 0

Im shooting in plain RAW file . i dont know why there put L . I'm using Aperture Mode . The Auto Shutter Speed Shouldnt Get WRONG . & how come my focus look so soft & blurry on the playback ? I think something wrong with the lens.

Example : I focus in the middle . The middle look freaking soft.

Help appreciated. :bheart:

i post already . i not sure if your can see. but i can see the picture. Sky blown out , focus look damn soft.

If it happen in thus situation, you might need to send in to nikon for tuning on your focus... You can do it your self or watch YouTube on tuning...

What is your metering mode are you using? Spot, center weighted or matrix? Btw I can't see your pic too.

Please post the actual unprocessed JPG output from the RAW. Right now you only posted a screenshot from your PC.

You shooting outdoors and at wide open f/1.4, it's very easy to overexpose the scene.

Try to underexpose by -2/3 stop.

Try to shoot other subjects to test.

_DSC0162.jpg
[/IMG]

I was in my room & i took a picture of my poster & its totally over expose . i think the metering system have problem !

Nikon have leave bad impression on me .

Nikon D700
50mm F/1.4G
L(4256x2832), FX - 11.7MB
50mm - ISO 200
1/320s - F/1.4
0EV - Cloud , 0 , 0

Im shooting in plain RAW file . i dont know why there put L . I'm using Aperture Mode . The Auto Shutter Speed Shouldnt Get WRONG . & how come my focus look so soft & blurry on the playback ? I think something wrong with the lens.

Example : I focus in the middle . The middle look freaking soft.

Help appreciated. :bheart:

Hey there,

Im no photo expert, so I just give my 2 cents.

From your description of the exposure settings, maybe you should have increase your shutter speed. At F1.4, thats a big aperture size. I took a picture once on a sunny day with F10 at 90mm with 1/1000s ISO 400, it came out slightly overexposed. I suggest a smaller aperture size and increasing your shutter speed if a similar lighting condition happens.

Oh yah, one more thing....Welcome to the Nikon family! Cheers

Regardless of camera brands. Understand the purpose of using spot metering. Spot metering will leave the rest of your scene overexposed in such a condition. The centre point you have picked is darker than most of the surroundings. In order to meter 18% grey of that particular spot you chose, the metering system calculates its algorithms to give the best value for that spot. It knows that you are most concerned of that spot, hence leaving the rest of the scene under or over exposed.

I agree with wmayeo. You spot meter at the tree, which is a bit dark. Thus the cam does a proper exposure on the tree, which leaves the rest overexposed. Vice versa, if you place the spot meter on the white wall of the hdb flat, you will get underexposed picture. Try Matrix metering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.